Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree19Likes
    Hey guys could I get some help? Trying to get my touchpad up and running but I can't get it to work!

It keeps throwing an error saying it can't find fastboot, so I found this thread and upgraded to Ubuntu 12.10 from 12.04,but I can't get fastboot! I've tried finding a download, looking on the Ubuntu software, and install via terminal, but even that says it can't find adb or flashboot.

I would love any step by step help you can offer! Thanks
    Just to be sure, you tried running the following command in a terminal window?

sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot

When I rebuilt my TP support Ubuntu laptop about a year or so ago I installed 16.04 and found both in the the Ubuntu Software market. I have not had any issues over 12.x so if you want to go with a newer version, you will still be able to work on your TP trouble free.
    Last edited by joeytino; 04/19/2017 at 04:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
    Just to be sure, you tried running the following command in a terminal window?

sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot

When I rebuilt my TP support Ubuntu laptop about a year or so ago I installed 16.04 and found both in the the Ubuntu Software market. I have not had any issues over 12.x so if you want to go with a newer version, you will still be able to work on your TP trouble free.
    I tried that and it kept saying it wasn't found. Found a solution here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/3625...locate-package

Just follow the phablet instructions, but after putting in "sudo apt-get update, type in "sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot" (taking out the phablet-tools). Mine immediately worked after I did that, it just couldn't find the tools. Now it's booted, but stuck on boot, only showing the HP logo or the loading Cyanogen screen. On to the next issue!
    Wow. This is 2018. Last post on this thred is in 2017, so some people like me are still holding their Touchpads and trying to revive it. I am going to try this when I get time.
    My battery seems to be ok now after I slow charged it for many hours. I am getting battery with question mark. Windows tries to load drivers when connected to a laptop.
    Palm III> Visor> Visorphone> Treo 180> 270> 600> 650> 680> Centro> HTC Tilt> BB-8310> Pixi-Plus> Pre 3
    Touchpad 16GB
    Well, if somebody is still trying this and not getting to download TPdebrick, here is the link from which I could download
    Codefire - Listing of tpdebrick
    Palm III> Visor> Visorphone> Treo 180> 270> 600> 650> 680> Centro> HTC Tilt> BB-8310> Pixi-Plus> Pre 3
    Touchpad 16GB
    Preemptive likes this.
    Tpdebrick runs successfully for me including firmware flash but the charging circuit just does not appear to wake up. It shows the battery at 0% and I do not think the battery is shot. Has anyone tried applying voltage directly to the charging circuit in an attempt to wake it up?
    Have tried the trickle charging trick? Use a standard phone charger or USB port. Sneak in enough charge to wake the circuit, then switch to the normal charger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Have tried the trickle charging trick? Use a standard phone charger or USB port. Sneak in enough charge to wake the circuit, then switch to the normal charger.
    Yes I have. I've had great luck with both an old Blackberry 750ma or iphone 1A charger but all I get on this one is the home button Cylon sweep, but the TP never wakes up. I know it wants to. Very frustrating.
    Yes I have. I've had great luck with both an old Blackberry 750ma or iphone 1A charger but all I get on this one is the home button Cylon sweep, but the TP never wakes up. I know it wants to. Very frustrating.
    That's weird.. The cylon sweep - no, it's the KITT/Knight Rider sweep - usually means it's alive and taking a charge. I can't remember for sure how long I had to wait for the one that took the longest for me, but I don't think it was more than a few hours before the low battery symbol came on, and I believe it was about 9 hours before it booted up.
    OMG!! That is PERFECT joeytino and I feel really guilty and mad that I did not come up with that myself!! : The Cylon Sweep!! (Sorry Grabber5.0... but that is really good!).

After jumping back into webOSNation and being re-inspired by you guys I decided to break out my two 64GB White TPs that have been sitting in my office cabinet for about two years. TP #2 looked perfect, the other (TP #1) looked a little strange in that the screen was bulging out on its own like it does when you are halfway thru breaking the clips to replace a battery. Yep, battery finally gave up the ghost and expanded. I ordered two new ones for $29 eachfrom "Laptop Battery Shop". Yes batteries still exist! Yeehaw!

Looks like it will be shipping from China (surprise surprise). I have ordered from them in the past for TP batteries and other stuff and have never been disappointed. Ships in 6-8 days (supposedly).

https://www.laptop-battery-shop.com/...-I29C&x=22&y=3

Back to TP #2. Like in the previous threads... No surprise it was initially dead. I plugged in the stock big TP barrel charger and started charging the dead TP #2. Immediately the Cylon Sweep began. I would like to confirm that the Cylon Sweep is a good thing. It took about three (3) hours for it to scan my office for intelligent life, but it just woke up, showed the familiar battery / lighting bolt symbol for about 15 minutes, then continued to boot up like normal into WebOS. Unfortunately this now working TP#2 was not my daily driver but a backup TP in case the primary died... which it apprently did. Have no fear the primary will be revived when the new battery arrives. I will report in on my luck with that when I get it going.

Now my dilemma. TP#2 is pure WebOS on purpose. I never went through the fun of putting Android (CM) on it but did on the other. I wanted to keep it unmolested (other than Preware and all the other goodies). Since it has been a few years when I did that on my primary, I have lost track on the latest developments in that area.

Yeah yeah I know that topic may be blasphemous, but I still use my HP Pre 3 daily, and just gave my daughter a brand new OOTB Pre2 to take to school (how cool will she be?!). I will create a new post on this topic as it was quite a cool experience.

So my question is : What is the latest version of Android (whatever flavor) has been ported to the TouchPads?

Cheers,

Capt Jax
    Hey trivia fans! Both Battlestar Galactica & Knightrider were produced by Glen A. Larson. The sweeping red lights are similar and it's the same sound effect.
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0076984/t..._=m_tt_trv_trv
    You may think I'm a nerd, but you're also on this forum!

Perhaps we should petition for LuneOS to use the Boost / Launch sound when starting apps?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/17/2018 at 06:57 AM.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Heh, I never knew that, thanks for the trivia. I didn't watch Battlestar Galactica very much.
    I thought Cylon sweep as I grew up in the late 70's and that was the first thing it reminded me of. ( I wish I could mod my TP to make that sweep sound when it did that! I know waaaay too geeky.)

No matter what flavor of Android you settle on - and lucky for you to have TWO 64gb TP's - I strongly suggest not only keeping WebOS, but also consciously use it to charge the battery as I firmly believe the battery management under WebOS is far superior to that under Android. Why I am not totally sure, but I believe that Android is less stringent on the battery and allows it to discharge further than WebOS does and can lead to a lot of the problems we are seeing so once you are done with Androiding, just reboot it to WebOS - you can configure the boot manager to default to WebOS instead of Android, or get Evervolv, which will give you the choice of rebooting into WebOS - and let it charge back up.
    Thank you joeytino! I too suffer from being a child of the 70s! Watching the reboot of Battlestar Galactica II was kinda weird/un-nerving as a result, but I got over it and got totally sucked in.

Yeah yeah I know the Android question is outside the scope of this thread (and probably outside this whole WebOS forum), but thank you for the suggestion. I think I will start a new thread regarding my question and see where it takes off! ;-)
    It's still a Touchpad so I think there is some merit to discussing this on the WebOS forum. At least until Lune is ready for primetime.
    It's still a Touchpad so I think there is some merit to discussing this on the WebOS forum. At least until Lune is ready for primetime.
    There's a whole forum! https://forums.webosnation.com/android-webos/
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234