Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Shuswap
  • 3 Post By Herrie
  1.    #1  
    Consumer Cellular just forced me to upgrade my cheap backup phone which I use to hold on to my old home phone number of 25 years, saying that all major carriers would be dropping 3G on July 1st. Not quite accurate, as Verizon says they will support 3G until "sometime" in 2022, so I get to keep using my beloved Pre 3 for a while longer. This prompted me to go ahead and order a PinePhone so I could start playing with it on WiFi, and get everything working before the time comes to hook it up to a cell phone service provider.

What's everyone else, who doesn't want to become a minion in the (i)droid army, doing after the apocalypse?
    Global Posts
    694 Global Posts
    Canada's 3G shutdown is scheduled for the end of 2025. My carrier is keeping 3G 850Mhz till then. However, they're apparently shutting down 1900Mhz now, so my EU Pre3 will be unusable shortly.

In the meantime, I've been using my BlackBerry Passport. It has LTE, but I don't know if it's VoLTE will work with my carrier when the time comes. When they kill the bands for all my old keyboard phones, I don't know what I'll do. Maybe an Android, maybe a dumbphone.
    jonwise80 and Fred Zyphal like this.
    Unihertz (small Chinese/HK) manufacturer makes more modern QWERTY phones like the Titan and Titan Pocket. They don't cost an arm and a leg, so might be a good option to get. I got the Titan and pretty happy with it. Backed the Titan Pocket which should be released later this year.

Only downside is that they don't release the kernel sourcecode as required by GPL. So custom OS like LuneOS is close to impossible to achieve

Sent from my Titan using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Unihertz (small Chinese/HK) manufacturer
    Oooooo, I like their "Jelly 2", it looks very familiar, but alas, it's an Android, and that's what I'm trying to avoid. If we could figure out how to root it and put LuneOS on it, and if LuneOS would work without a keypad, that looks like a nice phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Zyphal View Post
    Oooooo, I like their "Jelly 2", it looks very familiar, but alas, it's an Android, and that's what I'm trying to avoid. If we could figure out how to root it and put LuneOS on it, and if LuneOS would work without a keypad, that looks like a nice phone.
    No kernel source code is the biggest problem for any alternative OS on it. I have the Titan as daily driver and it's pretty OK, just big and bulky

Sent from my Titan using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Titan as daily driver and it's pretty OK, just big and bulky
    Yeah, It looks like I'll be able to put any OS I want on it, but I think that will be my only complaint with the PinePhone, I like 'em small. That Jelly 2 from Unihertz which you pointed me to, looks like it will have the same smooth polished stone feel as a Pre 3, that's what I meant by "it looks very familiar" ... too bad about the OS.