Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
  1.    #1  
    Consumer Cellular just forced me to upgrade my cheap backup phone which I use to hold on to my old home phone number of 25 years, saying that all major carriers would be dropping 3G on July 1st. Not quite accurate, as Verizon says they will support 3G until "sometime" in 2022, so I get to keep using my beloved Pre 3 for a while longer. This prompted me to go ahead and order a PinePhone so I could start playing with it on WiFi, and get everything working before the time comes to hook it up to a cell phone service provider.

What's everyone else, who doesn't want to become a minion in the (i)droid army, doing after the apocalypse?
    Last edited by Fred Zyphal; 08/30/2021 at 05:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    732 Global Posts
    Canada's 3G shutdown is scheduled for the end of 2025. My carrier is keeping 3G 850Mhz till then. However, they're apparently shutting down 1900Mhz now, so my EU Pre3 will be unusable shortly.

In the meantime, I've been using my BlackBerry Passport. It has LTE, but I don't know if it's VoLTE will work with my carrier when the time comes. When they kill the bands for all my old keyboard phones, I don't know what I'll do. Maybe an Android, maybe a dumbphone.
    Unihertz (small Chinese/HK) manufacturer makes more modern QWERTY phones like the Titan and Titan Pocket. They don't cost an arm and a leg, so might be a good option to get. I got the Titan and pretty happy with it. Backed the Titan Pocket which should be released later this year.

Only downside is that they don't release the kernel sourcecode as required by GPL. So custom OS like LuneOS is close to impossible to achieve

Sent from my Titan using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Unihertz (small Chinese/HK) manufacturer
    Oooooo, I like their "Jelly 2", it looks very familiar (like a slightly thicker Pre 3), but alas, it's an Android and that's what I'm trying to avoid. If we could figure out how to root it and put LuneOS on it, and if LuneOS would work without a keypad (I now know that it does), that looks like a nice phone.
    Last edited by Fred Zyphal; 08/17/2021 at 05:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Zyphal View Post
    Oooooo, I like their "Jelly 2", it looks very familiar, but alas, it's an Android, and that's what I'm trying to avoid. If we could figure out how to root it and put LuneOS on it, and if LuneOS would work without a keypad, that looks like a nice phone.
    No kernel source code is the biggest problem for any alternative OS on it. I have the Titan as daily driver and it's pretty OK, just big and bulky

HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Fred Zyphal likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Titan as daily driver and it's pretty OK, just big and bulky
    Yeah, It looks like I'll be able to put any OS I want on it, but I think that will be my only complaint with the PinePhone, I like 'em small. That Jelly 2 from Unihertz which you pointed me to, looks like it will have the same smooth polished stone feel as a Pre 3, that's what I meant by "it looks very familiar" ... too bad about the OS.
    Last edited by Fred Zyphal; 08/30/2021 at 05:33 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Well, I just had to install my last good Sumi battery in my Pre 3. Based on the lifetime of the last one, this one should easily take me through the end of 3G on Verizon ... I sort of feel like I've just started the final lap here.

I've been playing with the PinePhone for a while now, so far I like it, but it has it's own issues. I've tried several OS's, it comes with Manjaro Linux pre-installed but I don't like that very much, LuneOS works really well for what it is at this point but it needs to be finished, by far my favorite is Ubuntu Touch, it's mature and I've been using Ubuntu on my desktop for quite a while now so everything looks familiar. Canonical dropped support for Ubuntu Touch in 2017 so it's kind of in the same boat as WebOS and depends on community support, but it seems to have a good community and it is definitely my favorite. I'll miss my beloved Pre 3, but at least this way I won't have to become a minion in the (i)droid army.
    Last edited by Fred Zyphal; 08/17/2021 at 05:06 AM.
    I still have one unopened Sumi pre 3 battery - maybe its time to use or sell it

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Fred Zyphal likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I still have one unopened Sumi pre 3 battery - maybe its time to use or sell it

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    I'm looking for a Pre 3 battery, if you sell it...
    When was the last time someone managed to get in touch with sumi ?
    ah, also a note : here in italy 3G got shut down already, but that doesn't mean the Pre3 stopped working for phone calls ... there's always 2G, and that's not being phased out. Obviously the carrier ( vodafone ) made it sound like the phones would have all got unusable and suggested buying from them new ones, but that was and is just a marketing move.
    Mazzinia posted this in the recent meeting. A list / timetable of 2G & 3G shutdowns internationally: https://1ot.mobi/resources/blog/a-co...-2g-3g-sunsets

My guess is that it's likely that all 3G will eventually go, but some territories will get more time than others. It may be that 2g is retained as a basic fall back, but unless this has some power or bandwidth advantage, then the commercial logic will be to use as few protocols as possible. If in all circumstances, 5G is as good as earlier systems, then ultimately that (or any successor) will be the only one and 4G is only there until all new phones support 5G and others are so old that they will be a tiny fraction of phones in use.

So, either webOS phones will be dumb phones outside and smart at home (if you have the work-arounds & proxies set up) or they will no longer be useable as phones and at best will be wifi mini-tablets at home.

I've nothing against the tablets and there's no need to rehash the pros and cons of the TouchPad here, but my primary interest was in the Palm phones. So if there's no phone function, I think it's over for me.

Mazzinia also posted some links to new in box webOS phones on ebay. I checked the prices of sold ones and it seems offers are being accepted below the asking price. So there's a slight temptation, but what's the point of buying a phone that won't work in a matter of months?

So I may be following Fred Zyphal's plan in post 7. Maybe there's a usable and open mobile OS out there. Maybe that could one day be LuneOS and there's always Lineage or similar as a fall back. If Android has good enough privacy controls, that could be the easy route.
    Fred Zyphal likes this.
    I'm on T-Mobile, so its close to the end for me using my Veer as a daily driver. I will miss this little guy for sure.
    However, as WiFi devices, a variety of webOS phones still have a useful life inside my house...

• Each of the kid's bedrooms has a Veer at their bedside. They aren't allowed to have any modern "smart" electronics in their room, but they love to listen to podcasts while they fall asleep. With Dr. Podder, Podcast Directory, and Night Moves, they can have a bed time story experience that we're comfortable with as parents.
    • Each living area in our house has a Pre or Pre2 on a Touch Stone running as a Hue Light controller with One Night Stand. In a pinch, they also double as a Roku Remote (if someone forgets to put the Harmony back on the charger)
    • My Veer will likely remain by my bedside after the 3G apocalypse: I also use it to control lights and listen to podcasts, plus I use Time Crunch to get the blood pumping every morning (sometimes after paging through PreBook and the headlines on IAmA Reddit or InoReader via FeedSpider). I love not having a more intrusive smart device in the bedroom - a webOS device is just the right amount of connectivity for a peaceful space.
    Last edited by jonwise80; 08/23/2021 at 02:33 PM.
    Check out the webOS Archive for preservation and development projects: webosarchive.com | Follow the Archive on Twitter | Like my apps? Why not buy me a coffee?
    Mazzinia ~ "When was the last time someone managed to get in touch with sumi ?"

I have been trying to contact Sumi for at least two years now.. he still has my EVT 'Go' for repair, which he had told me was fully completed and that he would return it to me by post as originally agreed!
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 08/29/2021 at 02:49 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    oh
    around one year ago he briefly answered ( I was looking for a battery ) but then vanished ( so, no battery )
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    When was the last time someone managed to get in touch with sumi ?
    Jan. 16th, 2019 was the last time I actually heard from him, as my batteries were in transit. Since I have his real email address I tried to reach out a couple more times for other people on the forum who wanted batteries, April of 2019 and about Sept. of 2019, but no response. I think he lives in Slovenia, could be tough times there, I don't really know though.
    gazaud likes this.
    Yep, he lives in Slovenia ( and if I remember right, he used to answer when in the country... while if being in China, would not have read the mail sent )
    Fred Zyphal likes this.
    Yep, Sumi definitely seems to be 'missing in action'!
    It has actually upset me quite a lot - obviously I do really hope he is 'OK' and just busy - but he claimed that he was just about to return-post my 'Go', when he realised that it still had a spare battery fitted and he had to get that removed first.
    That was in Sept 2019.
    It is now 5 years since I originally sent it to him!

I'll try snail-mail to Slovenia anyway, as emails have indeed not been responded to.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    ouch (@mutoidi) , that's a very long time
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Yep, Sumi definitely seems to be 'missing in action'!
    It has actually upset me quite a lot - obviously I do really hope he is 'OK' and just busy - but he claimed that he was just about to return-post my 'Go', when he realised that it still had a spare battery fitted and he had to get that removed first.
    That was in Sept 2019.
    It is now 5 years since I originally sent it to him!

I'll try snail-mail to Slovenia anyway, as emails have indeed not been responded to.

I have him on Skype and touched base with him earlier this week. He replied, just he built a new house for the past years and moved there earlier this year. Seems he's quite busy, though he confirmed he still has his webOS stuff around somewhere.

Fred Zyphal, Mutoidi and gazaud like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast