Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I have him on Skype and touched base with him earlier this week. He replied, just he built a new house for the past years and moved there earlier this year. Seems he's quite busy, though he confirmed he still has his webOS stuff around somewhere.
    Cool, good to hear he's doing well. He came through for us when we needed him, several of us still have a working Pre 3 in our pockets because of Sumi batteries ... just tell him thanks.
    Mutoidi likes this.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Maybe there's a usable and open mobile OS out there. Maybe that could one day be LuneOS and there's always Lineage or similar as a fall back.
    Surprisingly, there's no PinePhone specific image for Lineage, so I tried to build it myself based on a Youtube video I found. It kind of sort of works, but apparently there's no bootloader, so you have to launch it through a terminal window on your computer, which is kind of useless. In the mean time I've become a fan of Ubuntu Touch, and there's an Anbox spin called Waybox that's specific to Ubuntu Touch if I need to run any Android apps, it seems to work. The main guy behind the PinePhone also likes it, and he runs a thread on the PinePhone forum with tips and tricks for Ubuntu Touch almost daily, he even came up with a way to do OTA updates so we don't have to download the latest image and re-flash all the time. Ubuntu Touch is still in active development by a very good team of people, just not Canonical people. I'm not ready to switch my cell phone service to it yet, because the Pre 3 is still working great, but I'm becoming comfortable enough with this combination to have confidence in it as a replacement when the time comes.
    Last edited by Fred Zyphal; 09/04/2021 at 06:34 PM.
    jonwise80 likes this.
    I have him on Skype and touched base with him earlier this week. He replied, just he built a new house for the past years and moved there earlier this year. Seems he's quite busy, though he confirmed he still has his webOS stuff around somewhere.
    Thanks Herrie, that explains a lot regarding Sumi's delays etc.
    Please do me a big favour when you are next in touch with him anyway, and say that Robin in Melbourne (me!) is HANGING OUT for the final return of his repaired EVT 'Go'!
    He 'should' still have my address & $'s I sent him for postage etc.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    jonwise80 likes this.
  4.    #24  
    I've been playing with the PinePhone using my cheap backup SIM card from Consumer Cellular, it works ok but their service sucks. So I decided it was time to find out if I would be able to use it with my Verizon account, and as expected when I went to my "My Verizon" page, selected "bring your own device", and checked my PinePhone IMEI number, I found that it's not supported. So off to the next step, call Verizon and request an exception, my form is in process, and it actually sounds like it's going to happen since I've been a customer for decades, they simply have to allow my IMEI number on their network.

However, while talking to the Verizon customer support guy, I learned that they plan to support 3G until Dec. 31, 2022, so my beloved Pre 3 still has quite a bit of life left, as long my last Sumi battery holds out. In the mean time, just last week, Pine released the PinePhone Pro to developers. It's better, stronger, faster, and costs twice as much but I don't care, I'm getting one as soon as I can, they say they've worked most of the original kinks out. I filled out an application and tried to make my case, but I'm not really a developer and I probably won't get one until they're released to the general public.

So that's where it stands, my Pre 3 will be with me until I've had a PinePhone Pro in my hands long enough to get comfortable with it, or until the end of 2022, or until Sumi's battery dies, which ever comes first.
    MudShark22 and jonwise80 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Zyphal View Post
    Pine released the PinePhone Pro to developers. It's better, stronger, faster, and costs twice as much but I don't care, I'm getting one as soon as I can, they say they've worked most of the original kinks out.
    Thanks for this update, its very useful! TMobile moved their 3G shut down to July (maybe it'll move again!) and they're planning to keep 2G up until next December, so I have at least 7 months left with my Veer -- maybe a year, if its still usable on 2G only.

Meanwhile, I'm also trying a Linux mobile OS. I bought a Sony Xperia XA2 and plan to install Sailfish OS and give that a try. Its not free, but it looks pretty well polished, and has a commercial dev team supporting it specifically for that (and a few other) handset. You're not supposed to be able to get the OS in the US, but I'm sure a VPN will work-around that.
    Check out the webOS Archive for preservation and development projects: webosarchive.com | Follow the Archive on Twitter | Like my apps? Why not buy me a coffee?
    Quote Originally Posted by jonwise80 View Post
    Thanks for this update, its very useful! TMobile moved their 3G shut down to July (maybe it'll move again!) and they're planning to keep 2G up until next December, so I have at least 7 months left with my Veer -- maybe a year, if its still usable on 2G only.

Meanwhile, I'm also trying a Linux mobile OS. I bought a Sony Xperia XA2 and plan to install Sailfish OS and give that a try. Its not free, but it looks pretty well polished, and has a commercial dev team supporting it specifically for that (and a few other) handset. You're not supposed to be able to get the OS in the US, but I'm sure a VPN will work-around that.
    If you need help, I'm in EU, helped Alan Morford out before.

The Sony device could fairly easy run LuneOS. We haven't played with Sony devices, but when SFOS runs, getting LuneOS to run using Halium should be straight forward really.

Pinephone Pro looks like a great more modern option vs regular Pinephone which really had 2013 era specs. If the uptake for the Pro in terms of dev is just as good as the regular Pinephone there will be plenty of options in terms of OS.

Sent from my Titan using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    jonwise80 and MudShark22 like this.
    If you need help, I'm in EU, helped Alan Morford out before.
    Thank you. I didn't even need a VPN, I just had to pick a European country from a list at checkout, then use PayPal.

The Sony device could fairly easy run LuneOS
    I bet it could! The SFOS image is quite nice, a few brief observations:
    • Basic phone functions all "just work" - phone calls, a very compliant and compatible web browser, camera, even MMS worked with a little futzing around with APN settings. I paid for the "enterprise" version so Exchange email worked with both my home and work accounts -- although it choked on a contact with a birthday and I had to recreate my address book, delete the account from the phone and retry.
    • The first party App Store is... well, let's just say we have better App Store solutions on webOS (between Preware and the Museum). But the paid version of SFOS includes a Dalvik runtime and runs third party Android Appstore, so most of my needs are met that way.
    • I'm encouraged by how hard it was to get the GPS warmed up and finding a fix -- makes my experiments on webOS look rather sophisticated! I did eventually get some Android navigation apps going, so that'll be useful in a pinch.
    • Entertainment-wise, obviously there are some good Android games. The common non-Google Podcasting apps are in the alternative Android App Store and work great, as long as you keep the Android network stack warm. Google apps won't work, so that rules out YouTube, but the website works great with the built-in browser. Netflix, Hulu, etc... refuse to run for lack of Google DRM, so streaming TV isn't going to happen.

In short, with a little tinkering -- and hopefully continued maturity of the platform, SFOS could be a realistic replacement for webOS. I don't love the UI or their unusual gestures -- especially compared to my Veer. And speaking of which, even the non-ultra Xperia is larger than I'd like. Apparently there is a "compact" version that is unofficially workable on Sailfish (but lacks the paid features, so probably not worth it.)

I wonder if it might be possible to arrive at some mash-up of Sailfish OS and the LuneOS. On the devices they support, hardware functionality is near 100% (GPS sluggishness notwithstanding). Adopting their underlying bits, and including the much nicer LuneOS UI plus Enyo kit might combine to make a platform that could be really great for devs and users alike...
    Check out the webOS Archive for preservation and development projects: webosarchive.com | Follow the Archive on Twitter | Like my apps? Why not buy me a coffee?
    MudShark22 likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12