Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I have him on Skype and touched base with him earlier this week. He replied, just he built a new house for the past years and moved there earlier this year. Seems he's quite busy, though he confirmed he still has his webOS stuff around somewhere.
    Cool, good to hear he's doing well. He came through for us when we needed him, several of us still have a working Pre 3 in our pockets because of Sumi batteries ... just tell him thanks.
    Mutoidi likes this.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Maybe there's a usable and open mobile OS out there. Maybe that could one day be LuneOS and there's always Lineage or similar as a fall back.
    Surprisingly, there's no PinePhone specific image for Lineage, so I tried to build it myself based on a Youtube video I found. It kind of sort of works, but apparently there's no bootloader, so you have to launch it through a terminal window on your computer, which is kind of useless. In the mean time I've become a fan of Ubuntu Touch, and there's an Anbox spin called Waybox that's specific to Ubuntu Touch if I need to run any Android apps, it seems to work. The main guy behind the PinePhone also likes it, and he runs a thread on the PinePhone forum with tips and tricks for Ubuntu Touch almost daily, he even came up with a way to do OTA updates so we don't have to download the latest image and re-flash all the time. Ubuntu Touch is still in active development by a very good team of people, just not Canonical people. I'm not ready to switch my cell phone service to it yet, because the Pre 3 is still working great, but I'm becoming comfortable enough with this combination to have confidence in it as a replacement when the time comes.
    Last edited by Fred Zyphal; 09/04/2021 at 05:34 PM.
    jonwise80 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I have him on Skype and touched base with him earlier this week. He replied, just he built a new house for the past years and moved there earlier this year. Seems he's quite busy, though he confirmed he still has his webOS stuff around somewhere.
    Thanks Herrie, that explains a lot regarding Sumi's delays etc.
    Please do me a big favour when you are next in touch with him anyway, and say that Robin in Melbourne (me!) is HANGING OUT for the final return of his repaired EVT 'Go'!
    He 'should' still have my address & $'s I sent him for postage etc.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    jonwise80 likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12