Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By jonwise80
  • 2 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By dkirker
  • 1 Post By nomad84
  1.    #1  
    My HP Pre 3 has had difficulties charging on my touchstone since it arrived from its previous owner. It seem to be working intermittently but it really is not. Touch to share with my touchpad doesn’t work either. I’ve cleaned the contact pins on the battery door but it didn’t help. Please let me know if there is a way to fix this.

Here is video of the touchstone behavior:
    Is the AC adapter on the other end stock?
    Check out my webOS archival and development projects: http://www.jonandnic.com/webos
    nomad84 likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Yep, stock adapter and cable.
    There was a Touchstone 2 for the Pre3. I don't think it was ever officially released. The Pre3 has a different curvature on the back. It works on the original TS, but it's far more easy to mis-align. As your video shows it is repeatedly trying to charge, it may be as simple as getting it aligned. When I used to see this behaviour, I'd pick up the phone and set it down again. I lightly grip the phone while placing it to allow the magnets to align before letting the phone come to it's rest position. In other words, just be a bit more delicate in placing it.

But yes, check the contacts are all fitting and clean when you remove and replace the back of the phone.
    https://pivotce.com/2013/12/27/the-t...he-touchstone/
    https://pivotce.com/2016/07/10/rare-...ces-episode-4/

One other idea! Another simple one I'm afraid: If your phone is properly seated, then the problem maybe with the contacts between the coil/back of the phone, but if they are OK, the next likely point of failure would be the contacts between phone and battery - I think the charge points are different from the output points. Of course, if you are able to charge via cable, then that's probably not the issue.

On touch to share - pretty sure that's a different coil, but if that is definitely not working (it was always slightly dodgy for me) then I guess that again points to a fault in the vicinity of the connection between the back and the phone and if it isn't the fit or dirty contacts, then diagnosing is probably going to get frustrating. Hopefully there's no sign of damage on the back itself..?

Remember the TP's TTS coil is around the button - that is where the phone needs to be placed for it to work.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 12/13/2020 at 11:02 AM.
    nomad84 and xandros9 like this.
  5.    #5  
    Thank you very much for the detailed response! The contacts have been cleaned multiple times (incl. isopropyl alcohol). The pre also charges fine via micro usb. There are some cracks on the back, around the usb port and the power button, nothing near the middle of the back.

Adjusting the pre and holding it in weird position may result in a few seconds of uninterrupted charging, but I think its back is broken.

There are some volts of electricity coming through the back. Somewhere below 12v according to my crude voltage tester.

380FB91F-9499-41C6-9DF9-EC317F5B1E49.jpeg1169B34F-9998-4B8A-801A-4098FE802D82.jpeg

TTS doesn’t work from TP to pre or the other way around (touching on or around the button).

I guess the only way to fix this is to source a new back, but that looks mission impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad84 View Post
    Thank you very much for the detailed response! The contacts have been cleaned multiple times (incl. isopropyl alcohol). The pre also charges fine via micro usb. There are some cracks on the back, around the usb port and the power button, nothing near the middle of the back.

Adjusting the pre and holding it in weird position may result in a few seconds of uninterrupted charging, but I think its back is broken.

There are some volts of electricity coming through the back. Somewhere below 12v according to my crude voltage tester.

TTS doesn’t work from TP to pre or the other way around (touching on or around the button).

I guess the only way to fix this is to source a new back, but that looks mission impossible.
    Hmmm....

If Charger -> Cable -> Phone (via USB) works, the most like fault is therefore the back (at least in a way that affects the coil & connection) or the internal connection into the phone.

If you know anyone with a multimeter or similar, that might be worth a check. Standard phone chargers are 1amp at 5 volts and that will work via cable. I think the Palm chargers offer a bit more juice as obviously there are losses when using the TS. There's probably information on this forum on the exact numbers. It won't be 12v!

If you are getting a healthy amount of juice when testing the back alone (I'd guess the standard 1A/5V at the contacts will be OK), then it's the worry that it's the internal connection in the phone. It could still be that:
    • Charger is faulty (not enough juice for the TS). Tough to swap out this item for testing if you have no spare.
    • The USB cable (same again). Most people have a few, so a known good cable... but oh, it might be tough to find a generic one that fits the TS... Perhaps someone has a meter with probes fine enough to check the chain?
    • Could be the TS itself, but you'd have to pull it apart to really check - the only way I can think to test is again to use the back only and test at the contacts.

You say the back is broken, but you say there's no sign of damage in the area of the coil (looks OK in the pic). Also that holding it sort of works for a bit - by 'seconds', I assume this means more than the constant beeps and cycling of the charge notification. 10secs? 15? This could be key if it is actually working for a slightly significant amount of time. What if you put it on in 'landscape' position? What happens if you 'wedge up' the TS so the phone is lying flat? I recall someone did take a file to the surface of their TS to improve the fit for a Pre3 - I don't recommend that and never needed to do it. You might experiment with adding paper tape rather than permanently damaging the equipment.

Here's an idea: (but possibly more bad news) what if when you are testing the back only, you run some wires from the connectors to the connectors on the phone. Does it charge OK? What state is the battery in? Is it seated properly and not bulging? Could be distorting the shape of the back? Of course, if the battery is bulging, that's bad news. A forum member got a batch of replacements made. I don't know if they all got taken.

Getting a new back will be tough - you may have to resign yourself to using the TS just as a stand. I know people have removed coils and placed them in other phones to use with the TS, so there is the possibility of finding a more common Pre2 back and doing a transplant if you KNOW it's the coil that's at fault. Note that this is not Qi and that system is not compatible.

I've now exhausted all my thoughts on this and I think that if nothing is limiting the delivery of power to the TS, then if comes back to either a positioning problem or a faulty part you are going to find hard to fix / replace. I've had issues where I put the phone down, then had to listen to it beeping constantly until I went back and tweaked the position. Sometimes it also slips. As before, alignment can be tricky, but it shouldn't be that difficult - the magnets should still do their job if you are gentle.
    There's a little clip on the back right between the coils and the opening for the USB port. What is its condition? My experience has been that when this clip breaks at the top it is no longer able to keep the back pressed against the contacts and that results on charging and TTS failing unless you apply pressure to the area around the USB port and contacts.

FWIW, the naked coil on a Pre3 back won't really output a consistent voltage (if any at all -- I forget what I had read when playing with it years ago). Alas, they moved the circuitry from the back like it was for the Pre and Pre 2 and put it on the main board....

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Preemptive likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Thank you all for your help! I've ended up buying a brand new (!) Pre 3 and I used it to test the Touchstone which turned out to be defective. I'm waiting for my new Touchstone to arrive from the US.

In the meanwhile, the new Pre 3 is in factory condition, I've bypassed the activation screen and it seem to be on 2.2.0. Is there anything I could save from this device before it gets doctored to the latest version?
    Preemptive likes this.