Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mazzinia
  • 2 Post By Fred Zyphal
  1.    #1  
    Yesterday I was using the phone. I'd already had a battery warning - I can't remember if it was 20%, could have been 10.

I got the 'fade out' that sometimes happens: The display freezes and the display seems to decay. It was very alarming when I first experienced it, but it usually leads to a reboot or I simply switch it on again with no apparent problems.

Nothing happened. Putting the screen in the shade revealed it was still on, but black. I tried the reset of holding power and switching the mute button. It wasn't clear if that worked. Either the thing shut off or I pulled the battery... The latter I think.

It won't reboot. I've flipped batteries and it's still dead - I'm pretty sure the other batt was fully charged. I've got the OEM battery somewhere, but haven't tried that yet.

Applying power has no apparent effect. The screen doesn't light, no battery symbols, nothing. This is on touchstone and wired power from the OEM charger.

I suppose it could be screen failure, but the phone usually makes a noise when it boots.

I haven't done any deep investigations yet, but I am a bit stumped already.

Any suggestions?
    keep it plugged in , try again the pwr + mute switch , and if not working try all the other reboot methods ( including the 3 keyboard combo ).
    I had a scary similar thing a few years ago, was caused by some cell glitch that triggered the phone.... I took 1h to get it to revive using every possible trick in the book. The screen was powered off and it felt dead, but it wasn't... just the interfaces were ko somehow
    Preemptive likes this.
    Plug it in to your computer, see if you can talk to it through Nova-com
    Preemptive and KURT B like this.
  4.    #4  
    I'm updating to see if there are any more ideas.

I have a PC running Linux Mint. It came with windows 10, but when I formatted a couple of drives for Linux, it threw a fit and I didn't bother reinstalling. I assume it will be a pain - even if it's just re-initialising grub, when MS insist on being the primary partition or whatever it used to do.

For some reason, neither WOSQI or the Doctor run. I'm not sure why. USB mode has always worked fine. Novacom is installed from the repository.

I've got an old laptop - also running linux, but I can boot into the old OS - Windows XP! (not allowed to connect to the internet of course!). I can run the java programs here.

To recap, the Pre3 appears to be dead. I've tried the 6Ts.
    1. Can't throw apps away - it's dead.
    2. Can't turn it off and on - it's dead.
    3. Triple toggle restart - nothing.
    4. Top off the battery - hard to tell. I suspect it's charging (assuming the power system is low level), but I'll have to pull out a meter. The phone won't boot. The Pre3 is the only means I have to charge and test the batteries - and it appears dead! I have tried the original OEM battery.
    5. Take out / reinsert the battery - nothing.
    > At this point, I tried the OPTION+SYMBOL+R technique and this had no apparent effect.
    6. Tether and reinstall (doctor it)....

So the java programs run on XP. The Doctor shows the connected device with a warning graphic and encourages me to connect the device. The "next" button remains greyed out. I remember enough to know how to check Novacom is running - which it is.

I haven't tried the methods to get past this step the "10 times" recommended by webOS Internals, but I suspect I will have to try something low-level. There is one good sign: Upon plugging in the USB cable, Windows recognises the device as QHSUSB_DLOAD and tries to install drivers. I'm not going to let it connect to the internet to search and pointing it at the novacom folder doesn't work. A quick search suggests it needs a Qualcomm driver, but I'm not sure where to get it or if there's a specific version I need. Maybe this is required (if it is) because the device is dead, so proper communications are not occurring.

So I'll fiddle a bit more. If anyone has advice on getting the java programs to run on Mint (Open JDK is installed) and how I check there that novacom is running, that might help.

My guess at the moment is that the battery died suddenly and took something important with it, so I will need to do some low level stuff: https://webos-internals.org/wiki/Las...oader_Recovery (there's nothing about the Pre3 here...). The alternative is hardware failure, which may mean there is no solution.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/12/2019 at 01:13 AM.
    oh damn

put this way looks like what happens to some touchpads that get bootie messed up while upgrading android or such. I wonder if tpdebric can be used in some way
    Preemptive, did you try running NDI with the pre3 plugged in ? ( nova device installer ) ?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    Preemptive, did you try running NDI with the pre3 plugged in ? ( nova device installer ) ?
    Er... what?

I don't even know what that is!

I've got various novacom driver installers... is that what you mean? Or is this something to initialise a device?
    It's what can be used to initialize a Go , aside using a doctor... and should work with all the webos devices. Consider it a doctor on steroids.
    Get on irc and I give you a link / transfer it using irc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    If anyone has advice on getting the java programs to run on Mint (Open JDK is installed)
    I have no advice on getting them run on Mint, but I can tell you that they run on Fedora just fine. If your BIOS has an option to boot from a USB port, you might try installing Fedora on a 32G memory stick and boot from that. It's very easy to do, just run the live image from either a DVD or a USB port, then install the full up Fedora package to the 32G drive on another USB port. I keep one handy just for emergencies, or when I want to boot incognito.

Also, I have one of those fat Mugen high cap. batteries, and I'd be willing to make sure it's fully charged and loan it to you. I know you're not in the US, so it could take a while, maybe there's somebody closer to you who would be willing to do that.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Zyphal View Post
    I have no advice on getting them run on Mint, but I can tell you that they run on Fedora just fine. If your BIOS has an option to boot from a USB port, you might try installing Fedora on a 32G memory stick and boot from that.
    Thanks. I can boot from DVD or USB I think. I probably have a disc somewhere. I suspect there's some setting that needs adjusting as it makes little sense to be able to install open JDK and then have nothing happen - not even an error message or finding the .jar opens as an archive? Odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Zyphal View Post
    Also, I have one of those fat Mugen high cap. batteries, and I'd be willing to make sure it's fully charged and loan it to you. I know you're not in the US, so it could take a while, maybe there's somebody closer to you who would be willing to do that.
    Thanks again. That's very generous, but I've now tried both my Sumi batteries and the original HP one (now fat and short life, but working last time I tried). My best guesses of the cause are:
    1. A battery problem that damaged either the boot sector or the power system, but being able to detect the device at all suggests there is some power present - unless it's from the PC. Also the chances of all batteries being faulty is slim, so it's either a 'fuse' blown or it's refusing to boot.
    2. I somehow did it myself. The phone hung and perhaps I did the Mute reset as it was trying to reboot and broke something. But aside from doctoring or factory initialising the device, when would there be a write operation to the boot sector? I don't know if the mute reset is a software or hardware process - i.e a reboot signal or a hard reset.
    3. Simply some glitch. Software, hardware.

So the 2/3 possibilites of what is actually wrong?
    A. Power system - Hardware. Either not fixable or I don't know how / not worth the cost of paying someone to do it.
    B. Boot problem (or worse). Either I can fix (rewrite) the boot sector or it's H/W and (as above) impossible or impractical to fix.
    C. All batteries dead. Unlikely and I can check the voltages. Also, I should get the ? symbol when plugging in without a battery (I don't)... which also means some power can come from the PC, even if not enough to boot.

I'm really busy right now, but when I have a spare afternoon or more, I'll try to do more tests and research and report back. It probably makes more sense to get the Pre2 up and running as it does actually boot. This may also have a hardware issue, but if I back it up and doctor it, that might solve the problem. Then it will be a question of how far the community fixes can be applied as most of us have moved to Pre3...
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/14/2019 at 10:31 PM.
    Preemptive, go check the articles about the Touchpad + corrupted bootie. You will find quite a bit of those and probably is what happened to you.
    Anyway when you can, ping me on irc so that I can transfer you the nda jar. Main point of it would be to see if it identifies the device, and how
    makes little sense to be able to install open JDK and then have nothing happen - not even an error message or finding the .jar opens as an archive? Odd
    Oh, oh, OH! ... maybe I can help you with Mint. The default behaviour for the GUI interface to nautilus in Fedora is exactly what you describe, opens as an archive or a text edit, many users consider it a bug, but they (Fedora) say it's not a bug, get over it.

In Fedora, if you open the file manager GUI (nautilus), and right click in the window area, you see an almost useless "properties" option, but if you click the "hamburger", aka the menu icon in the upper right corner, you see a "preferences" option. The second tab in the preferences menu is "Behaviour", and there you can select the default behaviour for executable text files. You can choose "Display them", "Run them", or "Ask what to do". I usually set it to "ask", that way when you double click the icon for a script you can choose to either run it or view it.

Hopefully the behaviour is similar in Mint.
    Thanks again. That's very generous
    Well, we are (collectively) trying to save the life of a Pre 3 ... it's very important
    I have all the NDI's laying around myself as well. On Windows you can run "java -jar NovaDeviceInstaller-92.jar" for example.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2