1.    #1  
    Looks like my pre isn't receiving messages or calls anymore. This happened about a month ago but turned out to be an issue with the SIM card. This time things are different. Last time, I just flat out wasn't getting messages or calls period. This time I only get the messages after I reboot the phone. I have tried turning on airplane mode and off, restarting java, and toggling data connection. None of these work. WiFi and 3G are still working however. So it seems like maybe it's an issue with the phone's message management system? I'm not sure. Another symptom is that while airplane mode is off (with all data and stuff on) my battery drains very quickly. In fact, the phone feels slightly warmer than usual, especially if it's in my pocket. Does anyone have any ideas?

PS: I can make calls I just don't receive them. I can also send messages but don't receive them.
    Last edited by NuclearKev; 05/22/2019 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Forgot a piece of info
    Do you know for sure that this isn't a network problem? Or another SIM problem? Seems weird that 3G data is working - won't it all be coming through the same chip? Also being able to call out, but not receive. I suppose if it is not the network, and some fallout of the earlier SIM problem (like they fiddled with the network settings), then the webOS messaging system is the obvious next step as a hardware fault would probably have wider consequences then the ones you seem to be able to temporarily fix with a reboot.

Have you seen this post? https://forums.webosnation.com/webos...ml#post3455546 Have you changed location or network provider? Could there be a network problem causing connection difficulties? I suppose you could even inspect the phone and see if there appears to be any damage to the antennas. How many reception bars are showing at the top of the screen? Low or jumping about? I'm not sure if there is an easy way to test connection quality or signal strength.

Those are all the guesses I have at the moment.

If it is the messaging system and clearly a fault that has developed, you may be looking at reinstalling the system. Obviously, you should back up before doing that. There's a link below for that and if you do it, it would be great to get a report on the thread on how the process worked for you.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 05/23/2019 at 07:06 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Do you know for sure that this isn't a network problem? Or another SIM problem? Seems weird that 3G data is working - won't it all be coming through the same chip? Also being able to call out, but not receive. I suppose if it is not the network, and some fallout of the earlier SIM problem (like they fiddled with the network settings), then the webOS messaging system is the obvious next step as a hardware fault would probably have wider consequences then the ones you seem to be able to temporarily fix with a reboot.

Have you seen this post? https://forums.webosnation.com/webos...ml#post3455546 Have you changed location or network provider? Could there be a network problem causing connection difficulties? I suppose you could even inspect the phone and see if there appears to be any damage to the antennas. How many reception bars are showing at the top of the screen? Low or jumping about? I'm not sure if there is an easy way to test connection quality or signal strength.

Those are all the guesses I have at the moment.

If it is the messaging system and clearly a fault that has developed, you may be looking at reinstalling the system. Obviously, you should back up before doing that. There's a link below for that and if you do it, it would be great to get a report on the thread on how the process worked for you.
    So I'm thinking that it's definitely something to do with webOS. When I put the SIM into a newer device (iPhone SE) it works with no issue. When I put the SIM into my Veer it has the same issues as the Pre 3. I'm wondering if my provider has changed something with their service, discontinuing older devices or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by NuclearKev View Post
    When I put the SIM into my Veer it has the same issues as the Pre 3. I'm wondering if my provider has changed something with their service, discontinuing older devices or something.
    Slim chance that both devices have the same fault, so yes the most likely option is that there is some update of the network that disqualifies older phones or the network settings are wrong. OR... What size is this SIM card? I think all webOS phones have full-size slots... Piece of paper under the SIM+adaptor to ensure good contact? Apparently, you have to be very careful with these adaptors - the SIM slots are easily broken if something gets stuck.
    Which network do you have?
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    is your Network the problem?