• 2 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By eKeith
  • 1 Post By Fred Zyphal
  • 1 Post By bbito
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By kataran
  • 2 Post By jonwise80
  1.    #1  
    I used to use Palm Pre and Pixi back in the day 2010 / 2011. How do you guys get by on them these days? Is it just for a hobby alongside iPhone / Androids?
    Can't wait for my Pr!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneBunting View Post
    I used to use Palm Pre and Pixi back in the day 2010 / 2011. How do you guys get by on them these days? Is it just for a hobby alongside iPhone / Androids?
    I was using it as main phone until last year when our IT infrastructure was moved and I couldn't use it anymore for work email. So I have an Android phone for that. For my other needs (Twitter, music, calendar, phone, sms, clock, alarm etc) I still use my Veer.

Having an Android has advantages that I can use WhatsApp and some other apps, but still not liking Android UI very much.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    eKeith and cbosdell like this.
    You could patch the phones then, we still can now! Fortunately, there are a few skilled people still around. Of course, those big name services have gained more users and shutdown access for apps they don't make & control themselves (mainly what facebook owns).

The links below may give you a picture of the state of things...
    I was using my Pre3 as a main phone until December, at which point I switched to my Firephone, another gesture-based phone. However, I still use my Pre3 to check email, which still works for me. Plus, I use it to read epub books. With my extended battery, the Pre3 lasts FOREVER on airplane mode with brief forays on wifi for email. Honestly, I haven't charged it this year yet. And it's still showing 93% or so, although it probably started at 200% or so (just a guess, as it was showing 100% for over a month despite usage).
    Global Posts
    786 Global Posts
    Still think the Pre 3 form factor is the best. Too bad software compatibility has driven me over to Android some time ago...

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    I am not now, nor have I ever been, a minion in the Android army, and I've never owned anything with an "i" in front of it. This Pre 3 is my phone, for good reason.
    Last edited by Fred Zyphal; 02/07/2019 at 12:01 AM.
    bbito likes this.
    I still mess with mine pretty regularly but it's not a daily driver. I switched to BB10 for a few years and currently mainly use iOS which is a lot more tolerable after they tried to copy the cards/gestures interface from webOS. Still nowhere near as good though.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    I have an EU Pre3 and a modified ATT Pre3. And two Veers.

As my work has a bring your own device, I am trying to set up either Pre3 as just my work email phone...you know to carry around to meetings for email and memo. Not for surfing but perhaps for txts or WiFi calls too.

However i believe the issue is a EAS cert that won't d/l to the device and I am restricted from emailing it to myself or uploading.

But I'm trying.

Sent from my OPO awaiting LuneOS
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Still using a FrankenPre2 with my original 2009 Sprint Pre- modem as my one and only mobile phone.... More and more websites fail with `2035` errors, but I make do. Some text messages are peppered with rectangles, but I think I probably prefer that to imojis anyway... Email, phone, messaging, contacts and calendars still work fine which are the most important things for me. I really don't want to move to iOS or Android but we'll just have to see how much longer I can stick with webOS.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Wow, are there just 3.75 of us left?
    Fred Zyphal (1)
    My wife and I (2, 3)
    Herrie (3.5)
    MudShark22 (3.75)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    Wow, are there just 3.75 of us left?
    Fred Zyphal (1)
    My wife and I (2, 3)
    Herrie (3.5)
    MudShark22 (3.75)
    My Pre3's feelings are hurt. Fortunately, I can cheer it up with it's new batteries. Also, let's not forget: User Count: 365 (I know many of those will have moved on, but it's a comforting number!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    My Pre3's feelings are hurt.
    Hey Preemptive, is that Pre3 your daily driver? It wasn't clear in your post regarding the OP questions:
    How do you guys get by on them these days? Is it just for a hobby alongside iPhone / Androids?
    I wish I could use my Pre3 as my daily, but Sprint.. I have activated my FrankenPre2 a few times and used it for a while, but there's just so much that doesn't work any more, I can't count on it. I still keep all my passwords in Keyring, so I nearly always have my Veer with me, unless I'm carrying the Pre3 with a TF or TMO SIM in it (which is why the TMO MMS problem makes me sad). My TouchPads are mostly for slideshows and music playback to BT speakers.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/08/2019 at 11:55 AM.
    I can cheer it up with it's new batteries
    Did you get your new batteries? Still waiting on mine, but you're right, that would cheer my Pre 3 up a great deal as well.
    Yes, I have the batteries. Yes, I use a Pre3 as a 'daily driver' - to the derision of some!
    bbito likes this.
    My FrankinPre sits on my puck along side my laptop as a reminder of better times and my TP sadly died one day but still sits in its original box in my closet
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    My Pre3 is still a daily driver (although I carry a work iPhone during business hours as well)!
    About the only thing I can't really do with it is any sort of navigation. I've gotten some of the apps working, but location services seems so inconsistent, that its just not worth it. To be honest, though, that's part of the charm. I know there's no way Google or Apple are tracking me with this phone!
    kataran and MudShark22 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonwise80 View Post
    About the only thing I can't really do with it is any sort of navigation. I've gotten some of the apps working, but location services seems so inconsistent, that its just not worth it.
    Navit worked fine for me a couple of weeks back, though sometimes the GPS takes a while to wake up.
    Navit worked fine for me a couple of weeks back, though sometimes the GPS takes a while to wake up.
    Yeah, I had written the GPS off completely a year or two ago until someone said theirs was still working. Sure enough, eventually it found my position and was able to track me.