Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jonwise80
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  1.    #1  
    With apologies to nizovn, check out my Instagram client for webOS...
    Unknown_2019-02-01_163243.png

Now that I've wowed you, let me explain my trickery:
    - Get QupZilla
    - Set its home page to www.instagram.com and sign in
    - Use Nova-browser to replace the QupZilla icon with the one attached here
    - Do the same to grab the appinfo.json, modify it to claim to be Instagram, and put it back
    - Do a Luna Restart

Ta da! Instant fake Instagram

qupzilla.png
    Rob Vousten likes this.
    Long lives (pseudo) PWA
  3.    #3  
    This technique, plus the addition of changing the AppID to something unique, could be used to create Launcher icons for a variety of "web apps" that aren't available for webOS or compatible with its browser...

Edit: Or not. Qupzilla doesn't seem to like having two versions of itself installed -- even with different AppIds. I wonder why... all the app storage seems to be relative to the executable, but something must be conflicting.
    If we can figure this out, we effectively have a "new" run time...
    Last edited by jonwise80; 01/02/2019 at 06:30 PM.
    Hmmm...

Oddly, I was wondering today if a Linux Spotify client could be run on webOS, run from the CLI. Perhaps even a simple app could send basic commands or even the original webOS app could be patched. Of course, I think the web player can be used, but I haven't installed the media plugins required.

There is of course the possibility of putting web bookmarks in the launcher, but that means the modern web browser needs to be set as a default app (because the old stock browser isn't up to the job). On my phone at least, that's not an option for the Qt browser.
    There was https://github.com/ionull/instagrio

However that's pretty outdated probably, but could be fixed. Though it's viewing only, or at least used to be due to limitations in API back then.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    MudShark22 likes this.
  6.    #6  
    They've really closed up their API lately -- since the Facebook acquisition really.
    After all, they can collect more information on you if you're only allowed to use their "official" apps...