Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By jonwise80
  • 2 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By jonwise80
  1.    #1  
    Many of the original apps that still work were never optimized for the Pre3 -- leaving a letterbox black border on the bottom 30 pixels, or so of the screen. This is usually an easy fix that, in most cases, amounts to adding the following line to the app's index.html:
    Code:
    <meta name='viewport' content='height=device-height'>
    Occasionally, the extra space may require another couple tweaks, but these are hardly enough to spin out a fork of the original source -- much of which may still have some license encumbrance. As such, I don't think it would be right to list these modified apps in Preware, but it also seems a shame to keep them to myself. It really does make the experience better.

I've posted these re-packs for posterity, here:
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!Av5IQUxnr8DUjN8SdA7YLoNiEYuBJg
    Last edited by jonwise80; 11/10/2018 at 08:04 AM.
    MudShark22 and gazaud like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonwise80 View Post
    Many of the original apps that still work were never optimized for the Pre3 -- leaving a letterbox black border on the bottom 30 pixels, or so of the screen. This is usually an easy fix that, in most cases, amounts to adding the following line to the app's index.html:
    Code:
    <meta name='viewport' content='height=device-height'>
    Occasionally, the extra space may require another couple tweaks, but these are hardly enough to spin out a fork of the original source -- much of which may still have some license encumbrance. As such, I don't think it would be right to list these modified apps in Preware, but it also seems a shame to keep them to myself. It really does make the experience better.

Any suggestions on how I might post these re-packs, for posterity?
    This is a simple fix that can be applied by almost anyone (e.g. I've done it). However, if this is something you want to do, I think there are a few options. The fix is essentially a patch, so while you could post the modified apps, questions of copyright and also possible confusion about which app versions to download would probably be avoided by just posting patch files. The original app would be the same for everybody, but Pre3 owners could install patches to adjust card size. If there are additional changes, these would also be part of the patch.

Now if you wanted to get really ambitious...
    For many apps, the viewport would be the only change and the same for each app. Could there be a way to automate this repetitive procedure? For instance, it might be possible to extract a listing (perhaps via the app museum) of every app and use the title or app file name to create a patch file for ALL of them (given that the file locations on device are predictable). Perhaps a webpage could have a form where the name of an app was entered, a listing consulted and a patch file generated. Or maybe a simple CLI script could scan the apps installed on a device and generate a customised patch file for whatever is installed or even go ahead and directly alter the viewport line in the index.html. Additional modifications for specific apps could be stored on a secondary listing to add those parts also.

I don't know how feasible or wise this sort of 'mass patching' would be, so if anyone can think of objections, please comment.

EDIT: I thought of one possible problem: I think patch files target line numbers to remove/replace specific code. Possibly not every app will have the viewport line in the exact same place, so the line number would have to be discovered. It might be fairly easy to do, but it's an added hurdle.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/07/2018 at 11:32 PM.
    Shuswap and MudShark22 like this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Possibly not every app will have the viewport line in the exact same place, so the line number would have to be discovered.
    Most of the apps I've re-packed don't have a ViewPort line at all. The exercise is adding a new line -- not sure how that works with the .patch file technique. I've been meaning to stare at some patches for awhile, to try to figure that approach out.

Meanwhile, I'm storing my Re-Packed apps in OneDrive, so they can be downloaded here:
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!Av5IQUxnr8DUjN8SdA7YLoNiEYuBJg

The DrPodder re-pack is the only one that create a net new app. Guttenpoder has more features, but the icons were ugly. The original drPodder has nice icons, but less functionality. I mashed up the two into a new app, retaining attribution. Minor surgery was needed to make the Loading screen look nice on a Pre3 also.
    Fred Zyphal likes this.