Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By mazzinia
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  1.    #1  
    Sad to say, but I think my Pre 3 is on its way out. It fails to turn on until the battery is removed and reinserted at least once a day lately.
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    I'm sorry to hear. Such a bummer...
    Do you think the problem is the battery or the phone?
  4.    #4  
    Well, I have two batteries so I guess it's the phone itself or maybe the OS content is degrading over time. Sometimes I get the display but there's no battery icon. That tends to be a harbinger of battery-pull doom.

All things must pass!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    did you try running the hardware tests ?
    Also, in this specific case it maybe may be worth to try to see if doctoring helps ( in case it's a real software issue )
  6.    #6  
    I'll wait until it really fails until I doctor it, I think. When it's running, it's still running fine.
    You mean the tests in the Device Info app, don't you? Good idea! Thanks.
    yes I meant those, they can find some issues.
    Also, total freezing ( black screen and nothing working ) can also be caused by some specific interference ( next time it happens, try this instead of removing the battery :

T3. Triple-toggle to restart
    1 Press and hold power .
    2 While still holding down power , slide the ringer switch three
    times.
    Wait a few seconds for the restart to begin.

Or try this method for restarting your phone: 3-key restart: Press and
    hold these keys—Option + Sym + R—and then release them all at
    once. Give this method at least ten seconds for the restart to begin.

)

If this ( especially the pwr button + etc , reboots the phone, I think you are victim of an interference or radio packet that causes the issue. I had this happen 2 times at my dentist, only in the room with some machines... and 2 or 3 times at random only in the house of some friends.
    elvispre and eKeith like this.
    There was discussion on the causes for that some time back. Basically, it seems that it had something to do with the U-TRAN Routing Areas feature being enabled and triggering a bug in the Qualcomm chip (https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1914332). Usually the device reboots within a couple of minutes. I have, however, noticed what I take are kernel panics when I have disabled the radio or set the phone to EDGE only. These exhibit a similar behavior. (I also haven't seen any of the underlaying modem firmware crash logs, but I fear I might have accidentally disabled them...) I've also seen some resource (I'm using the term relating to CPU resources deep in the kernel) lockup which doesn't result in a reboot automatically, but the device basically seems dead until I do the power+ringer reset. I am considering doing some investigating for kernel panics. Back in the day there was a way that kernel dumps could be captured and the Pre would pop up a screen that said to email a certain file to rom@palm.com. I'm hoping to either figure out how to use this feature (if it is something that I can enable), or figure out a way to build a kernel that supports kdump.

I would definitely give the power+ringer switch x3 reset.

Out of curiosity, are either of you using any of the UberKernels?
    Last edited by dkirker; 09/28/2018 at 06:02 PM.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    I'm using uberkernel.
    And now it makes more sense... I keep radio off usually (I'm normally using data over wifi), so it would definitely fit the kernel panic scenario
  10.    #10  
    I am just using the standard kernel.
    Fourth time today with the power+ringer switch x3 reset, so thanks for pointing it out to me. I much prefer it to pulling the battery.
    Well, at least we can say with a certain confidence that the phone has no hw issue but it's being influenced by an external factor.
    A possible test could be to switch it to a different provider temporarily
    Quote Originally Posted by elvispre View Post
    Sad to say, but I think my Pre 3 is on its way out. It fails to turn on until the battery is removed and reinserted at least once a day lately.
    Fourth time today with the power+ringer switch x3 reset, so thanks for pointing it out to me.
    I was wondering why you were shutting it down so frequently (or why it was shutting down), but what you are saying is about it waking up, screen on, not booting. I've had this happen, but what I think is actually happening is that it is running or responding verrry sloooowly. Have you tried pressing the power button (or sliding open) and waiting to see how long it takes to light up? Do you have (many) apps running?

Have you tried the /var fix? Guide: Cleaning Out The /var Partition When Full | pivotCE

Note: I am running uberkernel on everything.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/30/2018 at 08:08 AM.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    ...but what you are saying is about it waking up, screen on,... but what I think is actually happening is that it is running or responding verrry sloooowly.
    Generally the symptom is I take it out of my pocket and I have a blank screen and the phone is unresponsive. Very occasionally I catch it displaying fewer status icons than it should (missing phone bars or battery) very shortly followed by a freeze-up. Either way, I have waited long enough to know that rebooting is a quicker way to get a useful phone again even if it is just sloooow.

"Have you tried the /var fix?" I have now. It's not that full.

Am I running loads of apps? No. Just the same handful I was running six months ago when this was not happening.

Thanks for the suggestions though
    Generally the symptom is I take it out of my pocket and I have a blank screen and the phone is unresponsive. Very occasionally I catch it displaying fewer status icons than it should (missing phone bars or battery) very shortly followed by a freeze-up. Either way, I have waited long enough to know that rebooting is a quicker way to get a useful phone again even if it is just sloooow.

"Have you tried the /var fix?" I have now. It's not that full.

Am I running loads of apps? No. Just the same handful I was running six months ago when this was not happening.

Thanks for the suggestions though
    Well, there's the uberkernel, but if you don't fancy that, I inch toward the D-word.
    elvispre likes this.