Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi everyone I apologize if this has been addressed before, I tried searching for a post like this and couldn't find one.

So, my precious pre3 decided to slip off my shoulder mid phone call, as I like to prop it with my chin so I can multitask, while I was throwing some clothes into my washing machine. You can easily guess it was determined to bounce perfectly so that it could fall straight under the water and get soaked. I of course panicked and tried not to cry, and remind myself many people do the same and still manage to get their phone working again. (P.S. I am not taking my phone that close to the washer again!)

So I immediately pulled the back off it and removed the battery, and ran to get a Tupperware-ish container and put the phone, battery, and back (not touching each other) in with plenty of rice and sealed it closed for at least a day or so. When I decided I couldn't wait to just try I took it out and reassembled it and turned it on, and thankfully the HP logo came on, but without the typical black screen behind it. Instead there was white flickering light behind the logo, so once again I panicked and disassembled and put it back in rice for another day or so. Then I tried again. Both times I believe I succeeded in making sure no rice was in any of the holes or stuck in the slider. This time it worked fine again and I was thrilled and thanking God to have it back.

Now it's been probably maybe a month, and I just realized that the lights behind the letters of the keyboard don't light up anymore, and when I push the slider up the screen itself doesn't light up like it used to along with the keyboard. Maybe I didn't notice because my pixi I used for like ever didn't have a lighted keyboard I don't think. Well now it's really starting to bother me when I'm trying to text in low light and can't see the letters like I used to. The only other thing I can think of is that recently one time I was charging my phone and it got hotter than I'm used to, but not enough to make the phone shut down.

So I can't remember if the backlight was working or not before the day it got hot while charging so I don't know which one caused this problem, and if I can fix it. But everything else on the phone works as usual. Please can someone help, I'm not sure I could take the phone itself apart and don't know how to take the slider off (without probably breaking it) but I'd like to try something.

Also I read somewhere that it was recommended that if your phone gets soaked, to put it in a container filled with isopropyl alcohol instead and seal it for a few minutes and shake it around to clear out all the water, and then take it out and wait for it to dry. Has anyone tried this method? Did it work? Of course I'm not about to try it now, but.......

Thanks everyone hope someone has advice. Still don't want an Android or an iPhone. So grateful to all of you who share your knowledge and experiences.
  2.    #2  
    P.S. so sorry I talk so much I just thought the info might shed some light on what's wrong
    Oh my gosh I don't ever do puns I can't believe I said that how ironic
    dkirker likes this.
    Just to check: My Pre3 stops lighting the KB when the battery is low. Does it work when fully charged? Just in case it's a bug and the backlight is 'stuck' off, you could try rebooting the phone.

I'm not sure i could grip the phone with my shoulder! There's both the speakerphone and headset options if you need your hands for other things.
    Another thing to note, and I think that these sensors are for this purpose, there is a sensor that basically relies on two mirrors on the inside of the phone. One mirror is positioned at the base of the slider's travel (i.e. slider fully closed) and another placed at the top of the slider's travel (i.e. slider fully opened). It is very possible that one of these mirrors (or both, but my guess the very top one) has gotten fogged up, or in some way no longer reflective. I imagine that these mirrors, in combination with a switch are used to determine when to turn the keyboard backlighting on and off, and also tweak the main screen backlighting.

If you are able to get up a command line and novaterm in to the phone, you can verify the functionality of the LEDs with the following commands:

For the LCD backlight:
    echo "100" > /sys/devices/i2c-4/4-0036/leds/lcd/brightness

For the keyboard backlight:
    echo "100" > /sys/devices/i2c-4/4-0033/leds/keypad/brightness

echo "0" to either of those to turn them off.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Preemptive likes this.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks both of you for replying and Preemptive I see your posts so often I'm grateful you took the time
    dkirker I will have to look into some of yours as well.

It doesn't work even when the phone is at 100% but the main screen is totally fine (except when I slide it up, so I just tap the power button and then it lights up)

I will look into the other suggestion soon and see if I can figure out how to get a command line up (is it like on a PC?) I hope that will give me some useful info and possibly resolve this.

Also sorry the shoulder thing is so instinct now, I do know about the speakerphone just old habits die hard and I don't use earbuds because it messed up my pixi before and I didn't want to take the chance again. Maybe the pre3 doesn't have that issue.

Crossing my fingers...
  6.    #6  
    Or at any percentage of battery I meant to say
  7.    #7  
    "I tap the power button and then it works" only refers to the main screen not the kb backlight I hope that was obvious
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Another thing to note, and I think that these sensors are for this purpose, there is a sensor that basically relies on two mirrors on the inside of the phone. One mirror is positioned at the base of the slider's travel (i.e. slider fully closed) and another placed at the top of the slider's travel (i.e. slider fully opened). It is very possible that one of these mirrors (or both, but my guess the very top one) has gotten fogged up, or in some way no longer reflective. I imagine that these mirrors, in combination with a switch are used to determine when to turn the keyboard backlighting on and off, and also tweak the main screen backlighting.
    Interesting...

I'd always just assumed it was just a switch on the slider end stop. I did a quick test and the KB doesn't light until the screen just clears the top row of keys. There is another 2-3 mm of travel until it's fully open. On closure, the KB stays lit until the screen covers the bottom row, so there's about 10mm travel until it's closed. So as dkirker says, it's clearly a more sophisticated mechanism than a simple on/off switch.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 05/11/2018 at 11:16 AM. Reason: cm -> mm
  9.    #9  
    You know, I'm glad you said that, I just remembered that not too long ago I thought the slider used to go up just a tiny bit more than it does now. It just barely covers a very small amount of the top row of letters and I thought maybe I was just losing my mind or being too fussy. But that might have been around when the lights stopped. I feel like I'm going to break the thing trying to figure out if there is one grain of rice stopping it or something. Has anyone ever taken a pre apart without destroying the slider and can you tell me how?
    It would kinda make sense to me that this could be it. I'm really hoping someone can advise & thanks again Preemptive I love the penguin too. Thanks both of you so much
    Take a picture of your pre3 fully open and post it. We can compare with ours and let you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by meca View Post
    You know, I'm glad you said that, I just remembered that not too long ago I thought the slider used to go up just a tiny bit more than it does now. It just barely covers a very small amount of the top row of letters and I thought maybe I was just losing my mind or being too fussy. But that might have been around when the lights stopped. I feel like I'm going to break the thing trying to figure out if there is one grain of rice stopping it or something. Has anyone ever taken a pre apart without destroying the slider and can you tell me how?
    It would kinda make sense to me that this could be it. I'm really hoping someone can advise & thanks again Preemptive I love the penguin too. Thanks both of you so much
    I have a Pre3 that seems to catch something towards the end of its travel up. It is possible that one of the wires for the video cable (it is an interesting cable design) or something else has gotten stuck. It could also be some dirt in the rails. I'll have to check the Pre3 I have that acts weird and see what is up there that I can suggest.

Unless you were using very tiny rice, I don't think it would be that. However, sometimes a bag of rice has a sort of powder/sediment in it. That could possibly get in and around and gunk stuff up.
    Did you know:

12.    #12  
    I will get a picture up as soon as I can, thank you guys so much
    I swear it doesn't go up as far as I remember, you will be able to let me know what you think
    Just checked my Pre3 KB for you - pic attached showing 'Max Opening Point' and 'KB Light Up Point' on slider travel.
    Hope this is of some assistance.
    Sorry about the low-res image ~ it was taken with a Pre3!

Attached Images Attached Images

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  14.    #14  
    Umm, yeah
    Thanks SO MUCH for that. Mine is definitely not sliding up that far. (The pic quality is fine and good enough for what I needed)
    So now that we are 99.999% or more sure we know the problem (or beginning of the problem I don't want to say) can anyone help me fix it? How should I start?
    Mine stops at about the top curve of the numbers 2 and 3 if you understand what I mean, so just slightly below your lower red line
    I'm so sorry to be bugging you all and thanks again
    Haha.. though not funny! I bet you are the first to brick your KB light with a grain (or part thereof) of rice!

Well - I sssume it was backless & batteryless when it got incarcerated in the rice at first?
    So take the back cover & battery off/out again for a start - then perhaps 'shake rattle & roll' the device (gently), whilst also opening & closing the slider - and perhaps the obstacle will just fall out again?

Failing that, you'll need some small 'Torx' drivers and probably a pair of tweezers - and maybe some compressed air?
    There are some pics somewhere of Rod's dismantle of a Pre3 - but you'd need to be careful too, as they are quite intricate & 'delicate' around the slider mechanism/hinge.

1. Remove battery cover and battery
    2. Remove 8 screws from mid-frame
    3. Disassemble mid-frame
    4. Disassemble silent key
    5. Remove screw from PCB
    6. Disassemble PCB from hinge
    7. Remove mirror from hinge
    8. Disassemble bezel ring
    9. Remove 8 screws from hinge
    10. Disassemble LCM from hinge

If you are not confident in stripping the phone yourself, maybe someone here would recieve it by post to have a go at it for you?

Some basic/early Pics attached anyway..

Good Luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 05/12/2018 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Sp.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    dkirker likes this.
    My light went out on my keyboard from pocket lint. I took an air hose and blew out the keyboard and it started working again. Might want to give that a try before pulling anything apart. Good luck.
    Yes, that is a Britten super bike.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Interesting. Makes sense that lint could block the light sensor.
    Yes.. but it does sound more like Meca's particular device may have a solid physical obstruction, preventing full slider-hinge travel and thus also the light-source and the light-sensor from aligning sufficiently to sucessfully trigger the switch?

Compressed air could certainly be useful tool in iether case.

If you do the compressed air, I would probably open the keyboard half-way. It will take some "holding" to keep the keyboard from springing open or closed, but it would create the space needed to direct the air, but also keep the slider mechanism from "holding" on to whatever is blocking the track.
    Did you know:

Mutoidi likes this.
    Yes.. perhaps using some sticky tape, to hold the slider in the 50% 'open' position..
    ~ Or maybe, actually moving the slider whilst also injecting air, could further assist in dislodging such obstacles?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast