Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Nguyen1
  • 1 Post By dkirker
  • 1 Post By Herrie
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I finally got my hands on a pre3. A few, in fact. I don't think the seller really knew what he had there...

Anyway, one is an AT&T prototype, 16GB, D2. P130una. The touchscreen was unresponsive, so I webdoctored the device to 2.2.4 to see if that would help. It didn't. I managed to install preware, but after that, I couldn't do anything else because the touchscreen ignored me. The images looked fine, buttons and keyboard all worked fine. I tried rubbing a sweater on the screen (Having heard a pixi screen responded to the static). Well, it was worth a shot.

Any ideas what else I can try, aside from opening the device? I didn't see any tear-down YouTube videos on the Pre3 and so didn't really want to do anything blindly.

It'd be a shame if it's a lost cause, but I did get two others up and running and one of them is now my current phone!
    ami mizuno likes this.
    If you can boot it and then using novacom extract at least /var/log/messages we might be able to see if there is a clue there.

I am sure others who have experienced touchscreen issues might have better advice and will chime in soon!

Hopefully it is just a software thing and not bad hardware (though, depending on the level, it might be an "easy" or a hard fix).
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    ami mizuno likes this.
    If you can boot it and then using novacom extract at least /var/log/messages we might be able to see if there is a clue there.

I am sure others who have experienced touchscreen issues might have better advice and will chime in soon!

Hopefully it is just a software thing and not bad hardware (though, depending on the level, it might be an "easy" or a hard fix).
    A non working touchscreen to me indicates an issue with the touchscreen firmware (the touchscreen itself or in combination with the software). You might want to try PmTpUpdater to see if that gives and clues and to update the touchscreen firmware. Or catnip.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    ami mizuno likes this.
    If a doctor doesn't work it is very likely that the digitizer is bad. If you feel comfortable enough to swap the screens with a known working model that would be a good test. In which case you can try to find a "for parts" one from someone or use that one as a "for parts" model for future buys/builds.

Alternatively there are those of us here who buy "for parts" items to add to our part collections if the price is fair.
    Current devices: Palm Pre 2 cobbled together from 2 Pre 2's and a Pre Minus. Brand spankin New Palm Pre 2.
    Device Wishlist: Palm Pre 3 VZW and HP Touchpad Any.