Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Fred Zyphal
  • 2 Post By jlamb0
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  1.    #1  
    Are there any other hold outs, like me, using this relic from the past? I've had my AOL address for over 30 years, and don't want to give it up, because everyone I've ever known with a computer knows how to contact me that way.

A little over a week ago when I was unable to post, or reply to posts, on this forum, my Pre 3 started throwing up the little yellow triangle with a "check your user-name or password" message coming from both of my AOL accounts, but as soon as I open up the mail client and hit refresh, everybody's happy. The two Google mail accounts seem to be working just fine.

I have the OpenSSL Updater running, as well as the RootCertsUpdate from frantid, and the googleoauth22241-13 patch.

It's not a major emergency, yet, because I can still open the mail client and read the mail, but the background notifier seems to be having an issue with the credentials, or some such thing. Anybody else seeing anything like this all of a sudden?
    Last edited by Fred Zyphal; 03/14/2018 at 10:49 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Zyphal View Post
    the background notifier seems to be having an issue with the credentials
    Well, a little update ... I'm no longer getting the little yellow triangle, but I'm also not getting any notifications from the mail client regarding my two AOL accounts. I can still open the mail client and read mail, but sometimes it takes a long long time to retrieve the mail. On a more interesting note, my Thunderbird email client in Linux is also starting to give me a hard time with AOL. It takes a long time to retrieve mail, and sometimes gives up, showing me a dialogue box saying that it "can't retrieve the mail, would you like to try again, or give the hell up"? If I select try again it usually comes back pretty quickly.

Bottom line is: my problem doesn't seem to be unique to the WebOS mail client, It seems like AOL is screwing something up. Both of my Google email addresses are still working fine on both clients. If I ever figure this out, I'll let you know.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Well, a little update ... I'm no longer getting the little yellow triangle, but I'm also not getting any notifications from the mail client regarding my two AOL accounts. I can still open the mail client and read mail, but sometimes it takes a long long time to retrieve the mail. On a more interesting note, my Thunderbird email client in Linux is also starting to give me a hard time with AOL. It takes a long time to retrieve mail, and sometimes gives up, showing me a dialogue box saying that it "can't retrieve the mail, would you like to try again, or give the hell up"? If I select try again it usually comes back pretty quickly.

Bottom line is: my problem doesn't seem to be unique to the WebOS mail client, It seems like AOL is screwing something up. Both of my Google email addresses are still working fine on both clients. If I ever figure this out, I'll let you know.
    Have you tried contacting support at AOL?
    I agree it sounds like a server-side problem.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jlamb0 View Post
    Have you tried contacting support at AOL?
    I agree it sounds like a server-side problem.
    Actually, I'm just kind of keeping my fingers crossed at this point ... the problem seems to be solving itself. Although notifications from AOL on my Pre 3 are not 100% reliable, at least I'm not getting the little yellow triangle anymore, and the issues with Thunderbird on Linux seem to have gone away.
    jlamb0 likes this.
  5.    #5  
    AT&T acquired AOL and Yahoo a while back, and they're finally getting around to screwing them both up. Over the past several weeks, AOL mail has pretty much been a crap shoot, one day it would work, the next day it didn't, across multiple platforms and mail clients. For the past few days it seems to have settled into a semi stable condition, unfortunately this new state doesn't seem to work well on my Pre 3 mail client. Actually, everything seems to be working except the incoming mail. It still accepts my credentials and lets me look at other folders like sent mail and such, but no incoming mail shows up on my Pre 3, where it's coming through just fine on other mail clients like Thunderbird on Linux.

Anybody have any idea what's going on there?
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    AT&T acquired AOL and Yahoo a while back, and they're finally getting around to screwing them both up. Over the past several weeks, AOL mail has pretty much been a crap shoot, one day it would work, the next day it didn't, across multiple platforms and mail clients. For the past few days it seems to have settled into a semi stable condition, unfortunately this new state doesn't seem to work well on my Pre 3 mail client. Actually, everything seems to be working except the incoming mail. It still accepts my credentials and lets me look at other folders like sent mail and such, but no incoming mail shows up on my Pre 3, where it's coming through just fine on other mail clients like Thunderbird on Linux.

Anybody have any idea what's going on there?
    That sounds really frustrating! I'm sorry you're having to deal with that!

Wish I had a solution for you
    Herrie and Fred Zyphal like this.
    Anything useful in /var/log/messages ?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Fred Zyphal likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Anything useful in /var/log/messages ?
    Well, thanks for the suggestion. I copied that file to my desktop, I'll plow through it later and see if I can figure anything out ... in the mean time I came up with a stupid work-a-round. As I mentioned, AOL is still accepting my credentials and allows me to see just about any folder except the in-box, so I logged on to their website, created a "Temp In" folder, and used their online management tools to route all incoming mail to that temp folder. This works. I won't be getting any notifications, but at least I can open the mail client, tap on the temp folder, and read my mail.