• 1 Post By Alan Morford
  • 2 Post By anon(8063781)
  • 1 Post By pcworld
  • 1 Post By anon(8063781)
  • 1 Post By anon(8063781)
  1.    #1  
    My Pre3 has a bit of a case of the double-typing problem that is so prevalent on BlackBerries. When I press a key once, it sometimes outputs two letters.

On BlackBerry 10, a software fix was introduced to eliminate the problem.

Does anyone know if a key debouncing patch was ever developed to deal with double typing o webOS? I've read through the forums and found a long thread on the issue on the Pre+, and scattered references elsewhere, but no solutions.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Passport SE
    From what I remember it actually has more to do with the plastic layer underneath the kb. It becomes loose and attracts dust within over time. Removing the kb and peeling off the plastic layer and replacing the kb without it has been reported to fix the issue. Ymmv
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    anon(8063781) likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. That's a good pointer. I'll probably open it up and take a look.

It's a mechanical problem on the BlackBerries too. But it seems that it can be solved (at least in certain cases) through either a hardware or a software fix, so I was hoping to avoid surgery.

4.    #4  
    I found a description of a repair on a Verizon Pre, and it sounds like the construction is the same as the BlackBerry keyboards. The repair involved cleaning the PCB and contacts with alcohol, so I'll give that a try. If I don't get freaked out about ruining my Pre3 in the process.
    One of mine is doing the same thing.. some skips, but mostly repeating. Not real keen on taking them apart.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    One of mine is doing the same thing.. some skips, but mostly repeating. Not real keen on taking them apart.
    I've had the keyboard apart on a Q10 before with good results. So I think it's do-able. But it's also screw-upable.

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...l#post11238476
    Thankfully, the Pre3 isn't too hard to get in and out of. Nothing like a TouchPad.

Alan, thanks for noting this! I'll have to give it a try.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Thankfully, the Pre3 isn't too hard to get in and out of. Nothing like a TouchPad.

Alan, thanks for noting this! I'll have to give it a try.
    Be careful. If the construction is the same as the BlackBerry keyboards, and I suspect it is from reading some other threads here, removing the plastic layer entirely would be the end of your keyboard.

The solution is likely to peel back the plastic layer and clean the contact board with a little foam sponge and alcohol. You'll probably also need to clean the inner part of the contacts on the plastic layer, which will be difficult.

Avoid the temptation to use a Q-Tip. It will leave fibres behind and cause the very problem you're trying to fix.

It's also worth noting which keys double type. For me its b, n, and m, so I'm only pulling up that part of the keyboard. The less you disturb the better.

I'm going to do this as soon as my Christmas guests leave, and I'll post pics.

Preemptive and dkirker like this.
  9.    #9  
    I opened up my Pre3 to do the fix. It is very much like the Bold 9900 and Q10 keyboards.

The disassembly is fairly easy. There are 8 or 9 screws holding down the black plastic cover under the battery cover. One (kind of toward the top left, a little below the camera) is beneath an hp sticker. You'll see it. Once you carefully pry up the back cover, there is one screw holding down the motherboard. Remove that screw. Pry the motherboard off. There are plastic hold-downs around the edges of the motherboard that you can pull back to ease removal. The keyboard cover will be stick to the plastic layer a bit, but you'll end up with the two halves separated, as in the first pic in the flickr gallery linked below. I didn't bother to disconnect the cable. Rather, I just turned the top half sideways and peeled up the bottom of the keyboard contact sticker. See the second pic.

Then I cleaned the bottom row of letter key contacts and the space bar row as well. That's all that was giving me trouble.

I used one of my wife's makeup sponges (see pic 3) and some rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts. The sponge was pointy enough to let me clean inside the metal contacts on the plastic layer, without hitting the glue on the plastic between the contacts.

When you replace the plastic layer, roll it down slowly, pressing on it with your thumbs to squeeze out any air. You don't want to trap air pockets between the two layers. I suppose it's impossible to get it all out, but try.

Anyways, so far so good. No double typing. But if it does return, I'll let everyone know, since there's no point in anyone else taking any risks if it doesn't work well.

I *think* I could actually make a new plastic layer with contacts from BlackBerry replacements, if necessary, but that would be a rather involved process.

Flickr Gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/141605852@N08/35xEd1
    Last edited by Shuswap; 12/28/2017 at 06:44 PM.
    dkirker and baldric like this.
    Thanks for the notes and pictures, Sushwap! I've been into my Pre3 so many times, I've lost count.... hahaha Every now and then I get in and do a cleaning: speaker grills, pop the bezel and clean the gunk from that and around the screen glass, in and around the ports, and under the speaker shroud.

As for the makeup removal sponges -- those are the best!!! I use them for mechanical watch and clock repair. There are also similar ones that are like cotton swabs but have the spongey stuff on the end for mascara that are also perfect. They are really great for wiping up oils and fingerprint smudges. (Another useful tool for getting up dust is rodico.)

Side note for those cleaning theirs and using alcohol:
    Use isopropyl and at the highest alcohol concentration that you can find! I think I use either 95% (or was it 96%?) or 99%. Really anything over 91%. And DON'T use any of the kind with additives (there is apparently one "with moisturizer"???).
    Last edited by dkirker; 12/29/2017 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Smilies!
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Hmmm... a cleaning guide could be good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    Does anyone know if a key debouncing patch was ever developed to deal with double typing o webOS? I've read through the forums and found a long thread on the issue on the Pre+, and scattered references elsewhere, but no solutions.
    Remy X mentioned having developed a software fix ([1] [2]), but I can't find a release of it, so maybe it was never released after all.
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    Remy X mentioned having developed a software fix ([1] [2]), but I can't find a release of it, so maybe it was never released after all.
    Knowing Remy X's track record it's a lot of talk, empty claims and close to no deliveries.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Knowing Remy X's track record it's a lot of talk, empty claims and close to no deliveries.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Well, fortunately the double-typing fix is holding so far. What a nice change. It was so annoying.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Glad to hear. Still working? My first Pre3 has some letters that double type, so I stopped using it and moved to a different one. Would be nice to fix it.
  16.    #16  
    Glad to hear. Still working? My first Pre3 has some letters that double type, so I stopped using it and moved to a different one. Would be nice to fix it.
    Still working. I'm back to using the Pre3 as my everyday phone, so it's getting a bit of use too.

Grabber5.0 and dkirker like this.
  17.    #17  
    ...and I still haven't seen a double letter yet. So I'm deeming this an effective fix.

Grabber5.0 likes this.