Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Mutoidi
  • 3 Post By Preemptive
  • 2 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By Misj'
  • 1 Post By anon(8063781)
  • 1 Post By anon(8063781)
  1.    #1  
    This question might belong in the general WebOS section, but I'm posting it in the Pre 3 section because that's what I'm using these days, and I really don't know if the issue spans all devices.

Does anyone have a way to make the re-vamped Google news feed look right on our native browser? A couple of months ago, Google gave their news feed a "new look", and while I don't object to it on Firefox under Linux, the formatting comes out all wonky on our WebOS browser, where it used to look fine. By "wonky" I mean elongated or stretched vertically, and truncated on the right horizontally.

Any ideas?
    Yeah.. I noticed this on my Touchpad a couple of months ago too.. also that when you tap the 'Headines' nothing much actually happens!
    Bloody nuicance!
    I tried a site called something like 'Old Google News' and the images were not wonky, but the Headline links didn't work at all there either. ;(
    Feeling more and more like the 'end' of webOS.. unless a new browser rescues us!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Fred Zyphal likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Yeah.. I noticed this on my Touchpad a couple of months ago too.. also that when you tap the 'Headines' nothing much actually happens!
    Bloody nuicance!
    I tried a site called something like 'Old Google News' and the images were not wonky, but the Headline links didn't work at all there either. ;(
    Feeling more and more like the 'end' of webOS.. unless a new browser rescues us!
    There IS a new browser! Qupzilla! It doesn't do copy & paste yet (using it now), so I'll just tell you to click the user group link below. Find a list of projects. The first two are the browser and a patch for the stock browser - there are links to the project threads. Though Qupzilla runs on the Pre3, the UI is apparently too small to be very usable. The patch is also TP only, but some of the filters redirect to simpler versions of some sites - I think Google itself has a service that does this, so maybe you could find a better URL and set it as a bookmark.
  4.    #4  
    when you tap the 'Headines' nothing much actually happens!
    Hmmm, my headline links work fine, both with the new version and your suggested "Old Google News"

I tried a site called something like 'Old Google News'
    That works pretty good, thanks, but it's a third party (theoldgnews dot com) aggregating the news for you, and from what I've read on the Google Product Forums, it won't last long. Nobody seems to like the new format, and there were several other solutions posted, but Google has managed to shut them all down. It seems there were legal rulings revolving around copyright issues with the "snippets" in the old format, so Google is doing a full court press (basketball reference) against anyone who tries to circumvent the new format.

Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    There IS a new browser! Qupzilla!
    Thanks, I've been following the Qupzilla threads, but haven't tried it yet, I guess it's time to dive in ... by the way, how are we pronouncing that? I know QT is pronounced like "Cute", so is this something like "Cupe-Zilla"?
    Those links:
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...l-cleaner.html For a short time this apparently re-enabled Youtube, but then Google messed things up again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QupZilla - no clue how to pronounce, but it seems the project is moving under the KDE umbrella and being renamed. I don't know what the implications of that are - maybe none. It still needs a bit of work, but I'm not sure if that is needed in the browser itself or the Qt5 port. pc-world has done some work on a patch enabling cut n paste... Drop down menus don't work well, but it's reasonably fast - comparable with the stock browser.

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...-qupzilla.html
    Last edited by Preemptive; 12/20/2017 at 06:28 PM.
    Fred Zyphal and Mutoidi like this.
    There was an app called Newsg that was great. It stopped working a little over a year ago. Someone could probably fix it if they were determined enough.
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Passport SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    There was an app called Newsg that was great. It stopped working a little over a year ago. Someone could probably fix it if they were determined enough.
    I haven't heard of this. If you have information, like a thread, developer & if the code is open or not, can you post it to the Zombie app list? Maybe someone will see it and have a go. Maybe even the original dev could do a patch?
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    I haven't heard of this. If you have information, like a thread, developer & if the code is open or not, can you post it to the Zombie app list? Maybe someone will see it and have a go. Maybe even the original dev could do a patch?
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    That's the one. I'll post these links in the other thread too. Thanks Misj'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Zyphal View Post
    This question might belong in the general WebOS section, but I'm posting it in the Pre 3 section because that's what I'm using these days, and I really don't know if the issue spans all devices.

Does anyone have a way to make the re-vamped Google news feed look right on our native browser? A couple of months ago, Google gave their news feed a "new look", and while I don't object to it on Firefox under Linux, the formatting comes out all wonky on our WebOS browser, where it used to look fine. By "wonky" I mean elongated or stretched vertically, and truncated on the right horizontally.

Any ideas?
    I was thinking about how to do this easily, and here's what I came up with. The best thing about NewsG was that it opened the news stories in a mobilized view, so everything was really quick.

So I found a copy of the FeedReader app, which is open source, and altered it to open the links in a mobilized view.

To turn FeedReader into your Google News app, go to news.google.com (or news.google.ca or whatever for your country) in your browser, scroll to the bottom of the page, and click RSS. Add that feed to FeedReader. Then go to the World, Business, Tech, Sports sections (etc.), scroll to the bottom, and click the RSS link. Add those URLs. You may have to get the URLs on a desktop browser and type them in.

When you open the stories in this modified version of FeedReader, they will open very quickly. It's as close to having a dedicated app as possible at this point.

I also found this: https://rss2json.com/ It could be the answer to substituting the Google News RSS feeds into NewsG, but that's a longer term project.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 12/30/2017 at 11:36 AM.
    Here's a link to FeedReader (it's easier than finding it on the FTP server) and a patch I made to improve the experience with Google News feeds: https://c.gmx.com/visiblink@gmx.com/...Tpi9bjekzosMXQ (To comply with the GPL v3, the source code for the app can be found at https://git.tegi-stuff.de/open-sourc.../Release_3.0.1)
    The pin code for the app share is webOSuser

The patch adds mobilized webpage capability to speed up access to stories and articles, adds shorter "keep stories" durations in the preferences, and creates an easy way to add Google News feeds.

You'll have to download the app and patch to a computer and then send them to your phone (email attachments work well) to install them with Preware. For some reason, the Preware installer does not want to install apps or patches directly from the share. Install the app first, then the patch. Alternatively, you could install them from the computer using webOS Quick Install.

If you don't know how to install patches, see Grabber5.0's tutorial: https://forums.webosnation.com/webos...-touchpad.html

I've created a website to add the Google News feeds automatically. After you've installed the patch, start FeedReader, swipe down from the top left, and select "Import Feeds." Just press the "Search For Feeds" button. You'll get a list of the feeds. Select each one you want to add and add it. I've already added the Google News feeds for Canada, US, UK, Germany, Argentina, and Brazil (in native languages). If you want others added, just send me a message.

Some Recommendations re: the Preferences:

In the preferences, I set updates to manual and keep stories to one hour. Google seems to change the story feeds slightly, so you'll get lots of duplicates if you keep the stories for too long. I also turned off "update on start" (to minimize duplicates) and "Wake device." I turned off everything in the Notifications section, but that's just preference.

In the Summary Appearance section of the preferences, you can change Title color to Black to get rid of that eye-bleed red, and increase the font size to large if you have old eyes like mine.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 12/31/2017 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Created Patch!
    Preemptive likes this.
    Bump. Created a Google News patch for FeedReader. The link is in the post above.
    nosc12 likes this.
    Try this in the Pre3. http://darkstar.x10host.com/news/

The links should all be mobilized.

Fonts too large? Too small? My browser has a custom setting for the font size, so I can't tell. On my bold 9900 these fonts look huge. On my Pre3, they're fine.