Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    357 Global Posts
    I just came across an item on a web rendering proxy on the Hacker News.

The developer's still working on it, but if you have a server (even just a raspberry pi on your home network) it might be worth an investigation to get your old Pre, LifeDrive, or Clie back online.

https://github.com/tenox7/wrp

Here are the most recent releases:

https://github.com/tenox7/wrp/releases/
    If it's a proxy then couldn't someone set it up and make it externally accessible and allow folks to point their devices to it for proxy access?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    If it's a proxy then couldn't someone set it up and make it externally accessible and allow folks to point their devices to it for proxy access?
    Got a 750/750 fibre connection now, can have a look if I can. It won't be available 24/7 but 95% + uptime should be achievable.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    That might make me come back to write an article on it for pivotCE... Let me know what you find out. That could be a pretty big game changer for folks.
    Follow me on Twitter
    That might make me come back to write an article on it for pivotCE... Let me know what you find out. That could be a pretty big game changer for folks.
    Might have a look later tonight when kids are asleep, otherwise tomorrow. If it's straightforward to setup on (K)Ubuntu, the port forwarding is not a problem.

Got a fixed address that can be used for accessing it, but it's a bit on the long side. But I guess that's a worry for a bit later.

P.s. Thanks for the offer and good to see you around!

HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    but it's a bit on the long side
    Is dyndns.org still around?
    Follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    I just came across an item on a web rendering proxy on the Hacker News.

The developer's still working on it, but if you have a server (even just a raspberry pi on your home network) it might be worth an investigation to get your old Pre, LifeDrive, or Clie back online.
    Interesting. I'll add it to the agenda for discussion on... Sunday!
    Is dyndns.org still around?
    I have something similar that's provided by Asus who supplied my router

Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I have something similar
    Ok well I didn't know if you wanted that long URL or IP address. Dyndns used to provide short url options which worked well if you had a dynamic IP address via your internet provider.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Global Posts
    357 Global Posts
    I tried it using my laptop as a local server. It's fairly primitive at this point -- and fairly CPU intensive on the server -- but apparently his previous Python proxy started out with this kind of interface before becoming nearly transparent. The Python-based proxy became deprecated by https.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Forums v1.3.3.
    Global Posts
    357 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford
    Originally Posted by Herrie

I have something similar
    Ok well I didn't know if you wanted that long URL or IP address. Dyndns used to provide short url options which worked well if you had a dynamic IP address via your internet provider.
    There's an open source dynamic dns provider called DuckDNS that I use. It's completely reliable and free.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Forums v1.3.3.
    http://herrie.asuscomm.com:8081 that should work

I doubt it's very user friendly on the webOS devices. It could be modified to be implemented in Just Type or as default option somehow. It can be useful, but far from optimal I would say.

P.s. It's running as one-off now, would need to set it up to run on each reboot etc still.
    Last edited by Herrie; 07/18/2019 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Added info
    How does it work? I'm thinking in terms of windows where you set the proxy server and then browse as normal.
    Follow me on Twitter
    How does it work? I'm thinking in terms of windows where you set the proxy server and then browse as normal.
    It doesn't work like that in it's current form... it basically loads a webpage where there are some boxes in which you input an address and press "Go". It will then render the site for you. Like it said, far from optimal and not at all integrated into webOS

Looking at the current code which is written in Go, there's no real way to automate this without adding functionality to the app. Which would mean forking, spending quite some time on it etc. I don't have this time currently and would prefer to spend it on something else. If somebody else is willing to fork & make changes. I'm happy to host it.
    Last edited by Herrie; 07/18/2019 at 03:12 PM.
    How do websites display through it? Meaning, if you input a URL and tell it to "go" does it display sites properly?
    Follow me on Twitter
    How do websites display through it? Meaning, if you input a URL and tell it to "go" does it display sites properly?
    Yes, it converts it to GIF's with working links it seems. And then when you press a link it will do the same process. Let me try it on my Veer in a minute.
    I can confirm it works when I enter http://herrie.asuscomm.com:8081 in my Veer's browser.

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts
    It's definitely "hacky" and nothing like a self-hosted Opera Mini (which would be ideal). I find that it works best if I set the horizontal pixels correctly for my screen and set the vertical axis much higher, which permits easier scrolling.
    I tried it last night on my pre 3. Renders in desktop mode. Probably better on the touchpad.
    Follow me on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast