Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #1  
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/0...00mah-battery/

Looks like TCL will finally be releasing at least one device with Palm branding. I hope this turns out to be better than it is described in the article.ap_resize.jpeg

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk
    Strange. Is it meant to be the next Pixi/Veer? Is there a KB with that screen?
    A 3.3” Android. I see no keyboard. Small battery. Oreo.
    Well, price it at $50 like one of those Amazon Blu phones and I’ll grab one for fun.
    Derek Kessler's view: https://www.androidcentral.com/facepalm

I think it may be being judged harshly as it's just a spec list and couple of pictures at the moment. It seems to be mid range spec with a small screen and (a very small) battery. It's possible that when the reviewers get their hands on it, they will have a pleasant surprise.

That said, nothing interesting is standing out at this point. I guess it might be a neat and good value Android phone... or not.

If TCL are using this model to relaunch the brand, then this model is the default flagship for now. If it's just a cheap slab, then we may see the Palm brand sinking again...

Is it possible this big phone conglomerate that's making respectable Blackberrys sat down in a meeting and said, "Hey! Pixi, Veer: They were small! Once we dump the keyboard and this old OS, we'll have a hit on our hands!"
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/10/2018 at 08:39 PM.
    bradmeister1 and cbosdell like this.
    Well...I have basically one question: how do you screw up the PALM logo? - I really don't like it.
    cbosdell likes this.
    They may not really intending anything to do with PALM... maybe is IS really a PLAM...
    Global Posts
    436 Global Posts
    Verizon is now selling the new Palm phone as a stand-alone device: https://9to5google.com/2019/04/04/pa...alone-android/

It's on sale for $199.

*This is not a recommendation. It's just news*
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    Verizon is now selling the new Palm phone as a stand-alone device: https://9to5google.com/2019/04/04/pa...alone-android/

It's on sale for $199.

*This is not a recommendation. It's just news*
    The common criticism that most modern smartphones have features that resemble 'Life mode', while having features beyond the pepito is reasonable, but I actually hope that this first model is a kind of 'minimum viable product'.

If they can develop smaller sized phones with simple, non-intrusive interfaces, they could end up getting a fair chunk of the market. Small to mid-size, so you don't have to carry a huge slab. Smart features if you want them, but if you are not running multiple messaging services, games and music, it just sits quietly in your pocket until you need it. And yes, it could still be the weekend phone for the power users.
    Global Posts
    436 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    The common criticism that most modern smartphones have features that resemble 'Life mode', while having features beyond the pepito is reasonable, but I actually hope that this first model is a kind of 'minimum viable product'.

If they can develop smaller sized phones with simple, non-intrusive interfaces, they could end up getting a fair chunk of the market. Small to mid-size, so you don't have to carry a huge slab. Smart features if you want them, but if you are not running multiple messaging services, games and music, it just sits quietly in your pocket until you need it. And yes, it could still be the weekend phone for the power users.
    I have a feeling that this might be the first and last of the new Palm's products. It doesn't seem that the little Palm has gained much traction, and given that TCL just used the brand to release someone else's concept, I doubt there's anything else in the pipeline. But I could be wrong.

It's too bad that it went this way. It wouldn't have been hard to make a Palm-inspired version of Android along the lines of Palm OS or webOS. In fact, I'm sure it could have been a very inexpensive project for any company willing to partner with the Nova Launcher developer.
    Can i put an ATT sim in it? And make it work? That’s all I need to know.
    I use a 9900 or a Pre3, so a $200 Palm is worth watching.
    grover5 likes this.
    Verizon will be selling this stand alone soon.
    Plus apparently there's software upgrades too.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/04/04/...ne-stand-alone

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5t awaiting LuneOS
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    I have a feeling that this might be the first and last of the new Palm's products. It doesn't seem that the little Palm has gained much traction, and given that TCL just used the brand to release someone else's concept, I doubt there's anything else in the pipeline. But I could be wrong.

It's too bad that it went this way. It wouldn't have been hard to make a Palm-inspired version of Android along the lines of Palm OS or webOS. In fact, I'm sure it could have been a very inexpensive project for any company willing to partner with the Nova Launcher developer.
    You may well be right. The reviews I've seen have been mixed to negative, but if it came out that well-heeled customers were buying these as add-ons, I wouldn't be surprised. This is a product that explicitly sells itself on minimal use and they have targeted the zeitgeist of device/internet addiction (however real that actually is!). Phone experts can gripe that 'minimal' alerts can be set on other phones and that there are other, small(ish) phones with maybe better specs and comparable prices, but it may be that those buying aren't reading that stuff and those other devices aren't explicitly targeting this use-case. It makes a weird kind of sense that a 'minimal' phone SHOULD NOT have high specs.

If they have sold enough for this not to be a complete failure and if TCL support them, Palm can be the brand of weekend phones, and small to medium sized and specced phones. If everything has a decent camera, music player and reasonable battery life for a size that actually fits in the palm for an appropriate price, that could work - especially if they scale up the specs with the sizing to have a 'flagship' mid-sized, mid range item. I'm thinking Pepito2 as the spare / weekend phone (Pixi/Veer), then maybe something equivalent to a Pre2 with a Pre3 / Windsornot replacement as the top of the range, ignoring all the Galaxy 10-type big slabs.

I would be great if they produced models with unlocked bootloaders, so we can install LuneOS, but really any half decent Android hardware will do and unless you want to use a Pepito as the new Pixi/Veer, there is better H/W...
    Shuswap likes this.
    Global Posts
    436 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nguyen1 View Post
    Can i put an ATT sim in it? And make it work? That’s all I need to know.
    I use a 9900 or a Pre3, so a $200 Palm is worth watching.
    I know that Verizon has gone to LTE with SIM cards, and that their phones are unlocked for out-of-country use. So if I could get one, I could use it in Canada. But I don't know if one of these would work for you in the US with AT&T.
    Someone had posted in a FB group that the device was unlocked and they were able to place their own SIM in it (AT&T I think).
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    At last. The Palm 2019 pepito is an unlocked gsm phone. Now I’ll just wait for the price to drop.
    I stopped into a Verizon store and its definitely overpriced. I now have a business use case / need for one but the price is too damn high!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Got some kernel source from Palm support (3.18 msm it seems), however it's not complete. No Makefile, no defconfig etc.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    MudShark22 likes this.
    Before i wemt shopping i was trying to determine if it is was TWRP or magisk supported...in case other OS for it became available.

Sent from a OnePlus Dumpling awaiting LuneOS
    The Palm Phone PVG100 can be purchased for $84 open box on ebay (or new for $104). Many available. While it is a Verizon device, it is unlocked and will accept a GSM sim. There's a youtube video verifying this and showing how to insert the GSM sim.
    For $84.... I am really tempted!
    Last edited by Nguyen1; 07/07/2019 at 02:49 PM.
    Shuswap likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast