Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By horzel
  1.    #1  
    In spite of best efforts, here, to keep the WebOS Foursquare app alive (and those efforts are very much appreciated, btw), it seems to be dead today.

I'm finding that it just sits on the initial screen with the logo plaintively flashing away. I suspect it's no longer able to find a server since the company has decided to split into 2 services.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    That maybe the case.
    Foursquare kills off the "social media" pretense of data collection | Ars Technica

Presumably the split means an API change or other problem which will affect the existing webOS app.

Will Zhephree fix or remake the app? Is the current app even patchable?

If there is consensus here that the app has stopped working, then I shall add it to the list linked below.

EDIT: This post seems more positive: Foursquare app - api version update needed

Perhaps Zhephree / Horzel / Herrie can chip in if they have information?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/10/2014 at 03:21 PM.
    The Foursquare was changed in some "tweet location like" app...

A big part of the original scheme has be changed to Swarm app, that share information with the Foursquare...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    That maybe the case.
    Foursquare kills off the "social media" pretense of data collection | Ars Technica

Presumably the split means an API change or other problem which will affect the existing webOS app.

Will Zhephree fix or remake the app? Is the current app even patchable?

If there is consensus here that the app has stopped working, then I shall add it to the list linked below.

EDIT: This post seems more positive: Foursquare app - api version update needed

Perhaps Zhephree / Horzel / Herrie can chip in if they have information?
    Still working with my version, from above mentioned thread!

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Preemptive and vgg like this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by horzel View Post
    Still working with my version, from above mentioned thread!

My version is fully patched and still doing nothing.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    Which version do you have?

Mind you version 2.9.1 is available from github, not through the app catalog nor preware

Lack of discoverability seems to haunt this OS. I imagine many early users stabbing at the gesture area in an attempt to make it work like an iphone and missing how easy the gestures make it to use.

These days we have aging apps in the catalogue and in Preware. Some 'broken' ones can be fixed with patches... that might be in Preware... on this forum or on a dropbox link somewhere. I notice that many solutions aren't making it even to the unofficial catalogue and after the certificate problem and problems with most of the services we can use, I imagine users who don't visit this forum regularly just give up. Even new apps seem to be posted in this forum and not to the catalogues!

Obviously, time moves on and some things can't get fixed due to closed source or API, but it seems a shame that hard work is being put in and the results can be hard to find.

Here is the link to 2.9.1: https://github.com/horzel/foursquare..._2.9.1_all.ipk I shall also note it in the dead app list.

Whether it's packaging instructions or guides for catalogue submission, some thing needs to be Done! ;-)
  8.    #8  
    Which version do you have?

Mind you version 2.9.1 is available from github, not through the app catalog nor preware

2.9.1 - and still not doing anything beyond trying to launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    2.9.1 - and still not doing anything beyond trying to launch.
    Upon startup, it first tries to get a GPS signal, when it cannot find any, it might seem to hang.
    Please try to start a maps program first, and wait for it to have you located, see what happens when you start FSQ now.

10.    #10  
    Upon startup, it first tries to get a GPS signal, when it cannot find any, it might seem to hang.
    Please try to start a maps program first, and wait for it to have you located, see what happens when you start FSQ now.

It doesn't even get to the point where it asks permission to find my location (GPS is permanently on for me, but apps must get permission to access location).

Maps gets a fix within a few seconds, but FSQ still hangs on loading.