1.    #1  
    Hi all, just picked up a locked to Orange UK handset, updated using the official Orange download to 1.31 1-15OUK but I would like to remove the Orange phone app etc.

I bought the 12.50 unlock service from Ebay sellers www.jtunlock.com, and their instructions for upgrading firmware says you MUST unlock the phone BEFORE going to 1.23 then to 1.28

Now, is this tru, has anyone here gone ot 1.23 (then to 1.28) using a LOCKED Orange UK handset.

Now, I do have the unlock program, but so far can not get it working, it just sits on the website saying "calculating codes" but never actually does so.

Kev
    Hi. I had the same issue until I restarted my computer (to let the new driver load) then when I followed the instructions to get the code it worked first time. I use a Orange UK branded Tre0 650, that I unlocked, and now I use my Vodafone service.

Once the handset is unlocked, you need to upgrade to 1.23; I found a very useful "how-tp" on this site. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll check around for you.

I then upgraded to 1.31ROW, downloaded directly from Palm.

I had no problems whatsoever.

Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by MediaMgl
    Once the handset is unlocked, you need to upgrade to 1.23; I found a very useful "how-tp" on this site. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll check around for you.
    Here's the post that I used as a reference Link
  4.    #4  
    Thanks, I actually did it all without reading that!!!

All it took was a hard reset on the Palm, then it all went smoothly. Did you really mean 1.31 from Palm site or 1.28?

Kev
    Quote Originally Posted by kevwright
    I bought the 12.50 unlock service from Ebay sellers www.jtunlock.com, and their instructions for upgrading firmware says you MUST unlock the phone BEFORE going to 1.23 then to 1.28
    You should've checked this forum first - unlocking a treo can be done free & easily.

Haydn.
    Quote Originally Posted by HaydnH
    You should've checked this forum first - unlocking a treo can be done free & easily.

Haydn.
    What a 650 ?

Tell me more
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by HaydnH

Haydn.
    huh? I don't think it's possible
    Quote Originally Posted by muttdaemon
    huh? I don't think it's possible
    A 600 yes, but not a 650
    Thought of the day :
  9.    #9  
    I don't think it is possible for a 650 actually.

Even if it was I have no problem with 12.50 for a quick and fully documented service.

Kev
    Did you really mean 1.31 from Palm site or 1.28?
    Sorry, 1.28
    I don't think it is possible for a 650 actually.

Even if it was I have no problem with 12.50 for a quick and fully documented service.

Kev
    try jt-unlock in ebay. i've used his unlocking code (12.50) and it's quick though not as well documented as I want it to be. Just read the documentation in full before you do anything and you should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by muttdaemon
    try jt-unlock in ebay. i've used his unlocking code (12.50) and it's quick though not as well documented as I want it to be. Just read the documentation in full before you do anything and you should be fine.
    Will this work OK on an Orange 1.31, or does it need to be a earlier Firmware version ?

His ebay advert says it will work on Orange, but I read above about needing to be 1.23 first?

Cheers
    Thought of the day :
  13.    #13  
    Well, I had flashed mine to 1.31 (From Orange UK site) just before doing it so yes, it works fine.

To unlock you are only reading info so you can not cock anything up.

Kev
    Well, I had flashed mine to 1.31 (From Orange UK site) just before doing it so yes, it works fine.

To unlock you are only reading info so you can not cock anything up.

Kev
    Have you stayed with the Orange 1.31

I put up with the Orange version, but would get ride of their home screen if it was only a one flash operation. ie not having to go through other down/up grades to get there
    Thought of the day :
    Thanks, I actually did it all without reading that!!!

All it took was a hard reset on the Palm, then it all went smoothly. Did you really mean 1.31 from Palm site or 1.28?

Kev
    I've just unlocked from Orange using the same Ebay trader.

For anyone else thinking about doing it here are a few tips.

1. It works

2. I also had to do a Hard Reset after I had installed the drivers before the info could be read off my Treo. So make sure you have an up to date backup, or two.

3. The file you download from them is in .rar format, so you need to install winrar, like winzip, before you can proceed.

4. In the instructions, when it talks about needing Active Sync, it means Hotsync, which we all use anyway.

5. This is a one off process, so if you have to get a new unit due to a fault, you will have to buy another unlock "code" from them.

6. It works
    Thought of the day :
  16.    #16  
    Nope, really can not live with the Orange phone app (having had a couple of unlocked 650s) so am on 1.28 unlocked GSM

Kev