Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm going to Israel for 10 days with a tour group my wife is leading. I can sign up for a great voice plan at .30/minute for calls to the states, but my bigger concern is getting data. I'm currently on T-Mobile in USA with unlimited and I do approx 1.5 MB/day checking email. I'll do just as much if not more in Israel since it will be my only internet access while traveling.

Tmobile offers $15/MB and Israel short-term is $60/MB !!!

Any other options for GPRS for my Treo 600 in Israel for 10 days? I'd even pay a monthly rate if its reasonable.

Thanks,
    Matt
  2.    #2  
    Following up to my own post for other's benefit. I've done some research and the cheapest anyone else offers is $0.04/kb = $40.96/MB. Since Tmobile offers $15/MB, i'm just going to rent a separate phone for voice usage, and carry my Treo around for data use. I've confirmed with Tmo if I set my phone/plan to auto-forward ALL calls to voicemail, i'll never get charged for incoming calls, but i'll still get notification when there's a new voice mail. Then I can use my rented Cell phone to call my voice mail at $0.27 - $0.31/minute and get my messages.

Unless someeone else has a better suggestion...
    As a sidenote:

My best friend just got back from Israel a couple of weeks ago and said it was "Awesome".

Take some Pepto Bismol, etc. because although you won't be drinking the water, the food is prepared with some water. She had a terrible bout with diarrera when she returned and had to be put on anti-bodies. May not happen to you, but just in case.

Enjoy your trip.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  4.    #4  
    GeekyMom: Its called "ShilShul" and it's almost a certainty that everyone will get it when traveling there
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I visited for three weeks in August and I'm happy to report no shilshul.
    I just avoided the water. Enjoy your trip.
    I have traveled to Israel with my Treo several times. T-Mobile (my provider here) is way too expensive (and in my opinion almost anti-semitic) with the rates they charge to roam on the Israeli GSM networks compared to their rates for roaming in Israel on the Palistinian Networks. as a result, I maintain a contract with Cellcom. When my kids are studying there I go on their TalkNSave plan and when they are not, just a regular plan (no monthly charge!). I get Voice and Data at reasonable rates. They have all English support staff and are very accomodating.
  7.    #7  
    Update: I'll post more when I come back, but i've found a provider that will give me UNLIMITED data for $6.95 + standard voice contract on a SIM card rental in Israel. http://tlcphones.co.il/ has SIM card rental on their site, and they have an unlimited data plan for their model PC card rentals, but you have to call them to get them to mix & match the two.

You can contact:

Miryawm Faerman <mir@tlcphones.co.il>
    TLC Communications
    ( in the USA)1877 878 62 64 ext 19
    ( in Canada ) 1 877 636 6264 ex 19
    (in Israel )02 570 9102 ex 19

I'm very stoked! Much better than the $100 I had budgeted to send to tmobile afterwards. And now I don't even have to switch my SIM cards back and forth.

I'll follow up when I get back after the first of the year and let you know how it went.

Thanks for the tips,
    Matt
    Last edited by iwbyte; 01/19/2006 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Forgot to include price, contact info added
    I lived in Israel for 8 years and the water is just fine. It may have been something else that the person ate or they just have a weak stomach. Israel is a first world country.

As for Internet, there are Internet cafes everywhere, so you can do bulk email checking at a much cheaper rate. However if this is not possible, then renting a local phone is an idea. I also wonder if you might not be able to rent a local SIM card for data usage, that is if you are on GSM.
    Anyone do birthright? I'm leaving January 4. I was suggested by the program to use gcellular.com.(any good) I will not be bringing my treo, only because I cannot risk anything happening to it. I will have a rental phone and an ipod(2 devices, i know).I will end up bringing a laptop too, to check email.
    When I was there about a year or so ago for a few weeks I used TravelCell or something like that. Seemed fine for basic cell use.
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    I* just got back from Israel. You can buy sim card right in Ben Gurion. Just makie sure that you treo is subsidy unlocked or the sim card will notwork in your phone. fyi I got cingular to porovid with all of the unlock codes.
  12.    #12  
    Ralphwg - was this SIM card voice only or voice + data? If the latter, how much?
    "...Israel is a first world country..."

Just for the record, first world/third world has nothing to do with development but rather political alignment.

First World countries are those in the USA+WesternEurope camp, second being those Country in the USSR camp, and Third World Countries are the non-aligned countries "In neither USA's nor USSR's sphere of influence."

So, a country can be a 1st world country and still be living in caves as long as it is politically aligned with USA/Western Europe; Or, a country can be a 3rd world country yet having everyone commuting to work in a Porsche and fiber optics to every home - as long as it is not politically aligned with USA - Western Europe, or USSR.

Now since USSR is no more, those classifications are not very meaningful.
  14.    #14  
    As promised, I'm following up on my experience with TLCPhones.com - it was a great & easy experience - they delivered the SIM card to my hotel, I popped it in my Treo 600 and it worked, right out of the box. Customer service was great (I needed the voicemail turned from Hebrew to English for example).

Speed was comparable to anything here in the states, and while I didn't use the phone portion too often, it worked well when I needed it to. Coverage was great in all parts of Israel too - I never lost a signal other than being deep in a building.

I highly recommend them for anyone traveling to Israel with their Treo.

If you want to go with them, please contact:

Code:
    Miryawm Faerman <mir@tlcphones.co.il>
    TLC Communications
    ( in the USA)1877 878 62 64 ext 19
    ( in Canada ) 1 877 636 6264 ex 19
    (in Israel )02 570 9102 ex 19
    Just got back from 3 days ago. EVERYONE has nokia candy bar phones there. I saw lots of blackberrys and treo's at all of my airport stops, but few in israel. I rented a phone from israelphones.com. 28 cents per minute and 1 dollar per day surcharge. Better than having my treo destroyed though. When you guys go, make sure to get the Cow Chocolate.....
    As an Israeli living in the States I'm insulted by you saying the water in Israel are bad. There is nothing wrong with it and from my experience they taste much better than the water in Dallas. That put aside, Israelis are crazy about technology and are in the forefront of the cellular world. The reason most have Nokias is because the local Nokia dealer did a very good job of selling them in Israel. I was a big Nokia fan myself until I got my Treo650.

The Treo650 is very expensive in Israel mainly because of tax rates. it costs around $1000 for an unlocked one. Blackberrys are not popular because nobody imports them and they are big and bulky which is one thing Israelis don't like in a cellphone. Most people thought my Treo650 is huge.
  17.    #17  
    Zoti,

My bad - I should clarify - "Shilshul" is less from the water, which I can say is fine, and is usually more a result of eating Shwarma and falafel 3x day for three days... I say this from personal experience - Whenever I go to Israel I go hog-wild (pardon the traif pun) and get my fill until my body tells me its time to get something else..
    Are there wifi connections available at the cafe's? If so, how much does it cost generally? I might be doing a study abroad program in Israel (specifically around Tel Aviv) from July 1-15 and I know my sprint phone won't work (but I could live with just email and IM). ;-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by iwbyte
    Zoti,

My bad - I should clarify - "Shilshul" is less from the water, which I can say is fine, and is usually more a result of eating Shwarma and falafel 3x day for three days... I say this from personal experience - Whenever I go to Israel I go hog-wild (pardon the traif pun) and get my fill until my body tells me its time to get something else..
    Well, if you eat it that much then your stomach will respond accordingly. You can probably find this kind of food where you live as well. Look for a Lebanese restaurant.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Are there wifi connections available at the cafe's? If so, how much does it cost generally? I might be doing a study abroad program in Israel (specifically around Tel Aviv) from July 1-15 and I know my sprint phone won't work (but I could live with just email and IM). ;-)
    I know there are WiFi connections. I heard about McDonalds having them but I'm not sure as I am living outside of Israel for the past +6 years.

You sprint phone will work. There is one network in Israel that is CDMA but you won't be able to just connect to it. Maybe roam. Ask sprint CS.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast