1.    #1  
    I have an unlocked GSM Treo 650, upgraded to latest firmware. However it is unable to connect to Optus GPRS. I have a post-paid Optus SIM card inserted in the phone and when I start Blazer, or try to check email with VersaMail, it says that is's connecting, then says 'Canceling' and gives up - without an error!

Any advice appreciated, as Optus mobile's "help" desk doesn't appear to know what a Treo 650 is.

thanks ...
    --
    j.
    Motorola 1100 (Beige!) -> Nokia 1610 -> Nokia 2110i -> Ericsson GH688 (x3) -> Motorola StarTac Xe (x4) -> Motorola ? (some old CDMA brick) -> Ericsson T28 (+ Palm V) -> Ericsson T10 (+ Palm V) -> Nokia 6210 (+ Palm Vx) -> Sony Ericsson T610 (+ Palm Vx) -> Pa1mOne Treo 650
  2. rio
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 0jjjjjjjjjj0
    I have an unlocked GSM Treo 650, upgraded to latest firmware. However it is unable to connect to Optus GPRS. I have a post-paid Optus SIM card inserted in the phone and when I start Blazer, or try to check email with VersaMail, it says that is's connecting, then says 'Canceling' and gives up - without an error!

Any advice appreciated, as Optus mobile's "help" desk doesn't appear to know what a Treo 650 is.

thanks ...
    Are you sure you have your network settings correct?
    rio
    Brisbane Australia
    A Lions fan in Melbourne?

My 650 seemed to be correctly configured by the desktop, or by the SIM card, or by magic. (For my 600 I had to do it myself). Here's what I have:

Preferences -> network

Service: Internet
    Connection: GPRS
    username: blank
    password: blank
    APN: internet

Any luck? I used to have another connection called "WAP", it seems to have disappeared. Well, now I have a mystery to solve!
    Visor, Treo 180g, 600, 650, 680. Optus Australia
    <sub>You might think that the favorite plant of the porcupine is the cactus, but it's thinking like that that has almost ruined this country. - <i>Jack Handey</i></sub>
    WAP settings:
    Username: [your phone no.]
    Password: optus
    APN: wap.optus.net.au

Works for me... I hear it's cheaper than the internet connection, but I'm not sure. GPRS costs a fortune in Aus! (Check out the AusPUG forums for more help too).
    <sub>You might think that the favorite plant of the porcupine is the cactus, but it's thinking like that that has almost ruined this country. - <i>Jack Handey</i></sub>
  5.    #5  
    Thx Coljac .. however still no cigar. Tried both ways & no luck. I know it works 'cause it was working last week with my other half's Telstra SIM installed ... I wonder if I have an old sim card or something like that ...

And as for the footy, it's best left on the back page till April '06!

Edit: Note for Telstra's SIM to connect with Blazer I did not have to enter any network settings. The .au unlocked 650 is supposed to have them all (VF, the big O & the big T) preconfigured.
    Last edited by 0jjjjjjjjjj0; 09/05/2005 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Update
    --
    j.
    Motorola 1100 (Beige!) -> Nokia 1610 -> Nokia 2110i -> Ericsson GH688 (x3) -> Motorola StarTac Xe (x4) -> Motorola ? (some old CDMA brick) -> Ericsson T28 (+ Palm V) -> Ericsson T10 (+ Palm V) -> Nokia 6210 (+ Palm Vx) -> Sony Ericsson T610 (+ Palm Vx) -> Pa1mOne Treo 650
    I bought my 650 in the USA, so it's not that they come preconfigured.

It's also not that they don't support the 650 - they do. You might want to try going into a retail store. My guess is your plan is the culprit - unless you've explicitly signed up for WAP ("optus zoo") or ordinary GPRS ("internet") I don't think it'll work.

More info on the settings - including for the 650 - here:
    http://optus.wds.net.au/m2m.cfm
  7.    #7  
    Fair enough .. will go visit one tomorrow. Regarding the Optus configurator thingy, it was great with my T610, but never sends any settings to the Treo 650. No WAP, no MMS, no Email, no Internet. The bird on the phone this morning tried to send them to me too, but I still didn't get them. If a visit to the Optus shop doesn't work, a visit to the Telstra shop oughta do it ...

OK theory to test ... does the Optus post-paid SIM work in my T610? brb ...
    --
    j.
  8.    #8  
    Ugh. Slooooow Optus. Glad I have the day off today. Any more hints/tips before I go visit the carrier's retail store?
    --
    j.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I know that in the UK (with Orange), you need to "data enable" the SIM card with them in order to use GPRS.

Is this something you need to do with the carrier you're using?
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Hi guys - just to let you know. For some reason my Treo would not charge anymore when I put the power cord in it. I called support 1800 # which is actually a help desk desk in the Philippines. 2nd time I've called both times a good experience.

Anyway the deal was my unit needed replacing - took it to the service 3rd party a company called HighPoint in Olympic Park in Sydney with a SRO # given to me by support that was around 4pm on 5th. On Tues morning just after 9am a replacement unit arrives at my home. Not sure if it brand new or refurbed - but it does have the scratches mine had near the camera lens ;-) less than a day later I was back up & running.

I also am on Optus & I have the network profiles preconfigured but in my case - Blazer always connects on WAP (which is a filtered proxy service & usually cheaper but not all content can get through). Even if I have the Internet connection open before Blazer it closes it & tries WAP. While on the phone to Palm Support I mentioned this & they immediately said "are you on the Optus network" Yes- they have some pdb files they can send you (which are basically the Network Commection items in Prefs). Give them a try their # is 1800 350 535.
    Sorry I meant does NOT have the scratches my unit had!!
    I'm posting this from my Treo 600 connected to Optus GPRS through SimPlus, an Optus reseller.
    My network preferrnces have no user name or password, just GPRS as connection type.
    I ported over from Telstra and used their GPRS previously. The Optus data is capped so much better. I configured my phone online at the optus zoo site. It lists the Treo 650 but that worked fine for my 600.
    Cheers
    VikingBrad
    just checked again and my networl settings same as coljac
    connection type: GPRS
    APN: internet
    other options P