Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have just tried to upgrade to a 650 from my 600 and Orange say that they have stopped selling the 650 whilst they solve a problem with all their stock.

Anyone else had this problem/shed any light on it.
    im about to go to a store now to ask if they have any
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I've noticed that it's been out of stock for some time in the online store. I take it that they still have stock for replacement units though!
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    I went to a store yesterday. I might go back today and buy one.
    I managed to arrange an upgrade from my 600 to a 650 from Orange UK today. They wanted 150 for the upgrade even though new customers can get the phone cheaper! No matter what I said they wouldn't budge on the price. I suggested that they give me a PAC code so that I could get a new Orange contract and keep my number - apparently you can't use a PAC code from Orange to Orange.

So I confirmed that you can get a PAC code from Orange & Vodafone for free (which you can) and told Orange that I wanted a PAC code as I was getting a Vodafone sim card for a month and I'd see them in a month for a cheaper phone! The response: I could have the 650 for 14.99!!!

However, they did say I may need to wait about 2 weeks for stock =/

This story may hopefully help a few others save 135!
  6.    #6  
    Useful info ..... did they say why you had to wait for stock ie is it the same story I got about solving a bug.... and "about" 2 weeks sounds a bit open ended or do you reckon they will deliver on time?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I take it that they still have stock for replacement units though!
    Don't count on it, given that they haven't had any 600s for about a year. I asked them what they'd do with a broken 600 in December last year and was told that they would replace it with an "equivalent handset" if it broke. When I pointed out that they didn't have anything else that had a keyboard and PalmOS, I was basically told to stop being awkward and take a piece of crap Sony thing with no keyboard and no PalmOS because it was "better".

Idiots.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Richks
    Don't count on it, given that they haven't had any 600s for about a year. I asked them what they'd do with a broken 600 in December last year and was told that they would replace it with an "equivalent handset" if it broke. When I pointed out that they didn't have anything else that had a keyboard and PalmOS, I was basically told to stop being awkward and take a piece of crap Sony thing with no keyboard and no PalmOS because it was "better".

Idiots.
    Well lets hope I don't need to test them on this one. The only other phones I'd consider from them would be the SPV M500 (currently shown as out of stock on their web site) or the Sony P910 (old hat technology- but still a good handset). I'd be loathe to leave the Palm OS now though as I've invested too much time and money with it.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Quote Originally Posted by richardhyde
    Useful info ..... did they say why you had to wait for stock ie is it the same story I got about solving a bug.... and "about" 2 weeks sounds a bit open ended or do you reckon they will deliver on time?
    I genuinely think they're out of stock... I'll let you know in 10 days!
    The right shift key stopped working on my Treo 650 a couple of weeks ago (permanently pressed in so nothing worked). Fortunately I had OrangeCare, so Orange shipped out a replacement Treo 650 for me the very next day after I called (excellent service - I highly recommend OrangeCare). Looking at the message boards here the keyboard problem does seem to be an issue with the Treo 650, so it may be that the withdrawal of the 650 was related to that. Presumably the problem is fixed now they are selling them again.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lte1000
    The right shift key stopped working on my Treo 650 a couple of weeks ago (permanently pressed in so nothing worked). Fortunately I had OrangeCare, so Orange shipped out a replacement Treo 650 for me the very next day after I called (excellent service - I highly recommend OrangeCare). Looking at the message boards here the keyboard problem does seem to be an issue with the Treo 650, so it may be that the withdrawal of the 650 was related to that. Presumably the problem is fixed now they are selling them again.
    Just out of interest what hardware version does your replacement have?

Hicks: its version A
    I wonder if Orange are trying to hold back until they have fully tested their new FW, version 1.31 ?
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Hicks: its version A
    Interesting... I thought that they may have version B by now.

I read in the New Scientist magazine that Orange have the second, largest pecentage of faults with their handsets (I think it was about 16% from memory) out of all the UK carriers. The network 3 had by far the most.

I went into a store yesterday. I was basically told that Orange had no treos available in central london. This is frustrating.
    How do you tell which hardware and software version you have?
    stevenlcroucher: Go into the phone app, menu: options/phone info

Hicks: not too surprised by the failure statistics. I expect the newer and more features a phone has the more likely it is to fail: so 3 is bound to have most failures as everyone on that network has 3G phones.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    stevenlcroucher: Go into the phone app, menu: options/phone info

Hicks: not too surprised by the failure statistics. I expect the newer and more features a phone has the more likely it is to fail: so 3 is bound to have most failures as everyone on that network has 3G phones.
    True. It's worth noting that Orange was also worse than the larger networks- i.e. O2, Vodafone etc. I wonder whether or not this may be caused by their particular way of branding products or it could just be they are more stringent when diagnosing faults with handsets.

19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisW
    I went into a store yesterday. I was basically told that Orange had no treos available in central london. This is frustrating.
    The key question is how long will it be before they start selling the 650 again - I have failed to get an answer - has anyone else?
    I requested a replacement 650 from Orange as people kept complaining that they couldn't hear me which was getting very frustrating. I received it yesterday and the firmware is 1.31. The one I sent back had 1.28 unlocked firmware on so now I have to decide whether to do the same with this one, I really hate the Orange launcher. Perhaps they are replacing faulty handsets before selling new ones with the new firmware. Although the concept of Orange or any other network putting their existing customers first is unlikely.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast