Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Hi

We have an unlocked GSM 650 with T-Mobile service in the US. We're going on honeymoon to the UK in October, and would like to use a local service to call around hotels and so on. Can anyone give me tips on where to get a SIM card for my UK phone use - is it possible to buy a 20 SIM card, for example, without having to set up a subscription with a carrier? Once I buy the SIM, what do I have to do to activate it? And what GSM carriers do people have the most success with in the UK? (We're going all over the country, from Kent to the Orkney Islands, so I'm sure our coverage will vary enormously...)

Many thanks

Matt
    There are various companies. I have an Orange Pay As You Go SIM for when friends come over from overseas. See http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/payasyougo.

When in the UK you'll find that Orange has shops all over the place- just drop in and ask for a SIM. Other companies include Vodaphone, TMobile. They also have shops all over the UK)
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Thanks dmacd - sounds like I shouldn't have any problem getting hold of a SIM that'll work.

Matt
    Do these pay-as-you-go cards allow gprs? I'm going to Europe for a few weeks and want to be able to send a few emails/pictures back to friends/family.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Yes they do. But I haven't used GPRS under Pay-as-you-go so I can't say what it will cost.
    Thanks!
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I have an Orange UK Pay as you go for my travels there. There are Orange Shops everywhere. Calls to the US are 20p, you can register your credit card with them allowing you to top-up using their website. Also, on my last trip, early August, you can purchase 16MB of GPRS for 4 pounds. Normal price is 4 pounds for 4MB. The Treo-650 automatically downloads the internet settings for Orange GPRS.
    Enjoy your trip.
    you can get an 02 "genie" SIM off ebay for about 3 pounds I've heard...

I don't know much about them, except that if you put on 10 pounds credit a month you get 300 free texts a month...

which is nice (txts usually cost 10p per text)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yautja_cetanu
    you can get an 02 "genie" SIM off ebay for about 3 pounds I've heard...

I don't know much about them, except that if you put on 10 pounds credit a month you get 300 free texts a month...

which is nice (txts usually cost 10p per text)
    My wife uses one of these O2 chips. Works fine & the free texts are valid for 30 days from top-up.
    Quote Originally Posted by JHromadka
    Do these pay-as-you-go cards allow gprs? I'm going to Europe for a few weeks and want to be able to send a few emails/pictures back to friends/family.
    Not on the pay-as-you-go. I just got back from London - these offer some wap service intended for text messages, but for internet is prohibitively expensive. They do not charge at the advertised wap rate, even if it does connect. I was conned into it on T-Mobile last year, and found I went through 20 pounds in a few minutes. I used email by roaming a few times - haven't seen the bill yet, though. I would expect sending pictures would be very expensive.
    Treo 750 and iPhone.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Levyesq
    Not on the pay-as-you-go. I just got back from London - these offer some wap service intended for text messages, but for internet is prohibitively expensive. They do not charge at the advertised wap rate, even if it does connect. I was conned into it on T-Mobile last year, and found I went through 20 pounds in a few minutes. I used email by roaming a few times - haven't seen the bill yet, though. I would expect sending pictures would be very expensive.
    Orange UK Pay as you Go, most definetly offers GPRS internet. I have been using it on my Treo-650 since April. You need to dial 450 and follow the prompt to Orange Extras where you can purchase extra talk, text, or internet by the MB. From April to June they deducted 4British Pounds for 4MB. During July and first part of August for the same price they provided 16MB. I will be going back on Sept 3rd. and hope to get the same 16mb for 4lbs.

Leo
    That 4 pounds per MB sounds like what I was charged last year - doesn't last long (think double in dollars) with a Treo. I stopped at Carphone Warehouse and another place called something like Phones 4 U, who both told me no. Sounds like I should have gone directly to an Orange store.

Quote Originally Posted by lrdiaz
    Orange UK Pay as you Go, most definetly offers GPRS internet. I have been using it on my Treo-650 since April. You need to dial 450 and follow the prompt to Orange Extras where you can purchase extra talk, text, or internet by the MB. From April to June they deducted 4British Pounds for 4MB. During July and first part of August for the same price they provided 16MB. I will be going back on Sept 3rd. and hope to get the same 16mb for 4lbs.

Leo
    Treo 750 and iPhone.
    all the major carriers - O2, vodafone, Orange & T-Mobile have pretty much 100% UK coverage - its much better than the US GSM coverage. they all do GPRS - and they are all not cheap for GPRS - about 10 per 1mb on pay as u go. u can buy top ups from pretty much anywhere - from supermarkets to petrol stations and the post office. All the PAYG sims are between 5 and 20 - i would buy a network's sim depending on the cost of whatever u want to use the most. There are dedicated network shops in every medium size town - getting hooked up couldnt be easier. You can probably get the cheapest sim on ebay - I sold some myself for about 4. it is cheaper than the US - remember - incoming calls are free.
    This thread seems to be a bit late in respect to the original post: however, you may want to consider a month long contract instead of pay as you go, I think Vodafone (good coverage - arguably the best in the UK along with Orange) offer 250 anytime any network minutes and 1000 txts with a minimum contract of a month (which I think covers data also as their usual year contracts have txts, phot msg and data all in the same thing) - depends on how long you'll be here and how much you use the phone I guess.