Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Run it and follow the instructions.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenlcroucher
    Run it and follow the instructions.
    Thanks

I did the update last night. It took about 15 minutes.

I had a small problem with LauncherX when I first tried to launch it, but it's not the first time that has happened. You just need to have a backup copy of some of the LX files to get around it.

You need 15MB of free space. For me this meant doing the hard reset trick with a temporary new hotsync name.

My free memory remained the same. No obvious changes so far, but I assume there must be some background improvements. Too early to say if there are more or less resets.

Anyone else done it yet ?

Chas
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quite the same for me, easy installation but no visible improvment so far (same amount of free RAM), I'm waiting to receive phone call to see if there is any difference.

Do you know where we can get the changelog for this new version?
    Still hangs a lot, especially after doing anything bluetooth.
    One thing I did notice was that you could remove the Orange customisation PRC file before doing the initial update hotsync. Just look in Hotsync manager.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenlcroucher
    One thing I did notice was that you could remove the Orange customisation PRC file before doing the initial update hotsync. Just look in Hotsync manager.
    I didn't notice that.
    Did you try it ?

I wonder if you could reflash again and remove the Orange front end this way
    Thought of the day :
    Can someone explain in greater details the hard reset trick and changing hot sync name. I have my Treo set up just right and do not want to go back to the beginnning
    Quote Originally Posted by becs
    Can someone explain in greater details the hard reset trick and changing hot sync name. I have my Treo set up just right and do not want to go back to the beginnning
    No worries.

-Do a normal Hotsync so that all your data is backed up as per normal.
    -Do a hard reset, reset+hold down power button, and when is asks if you want to clear all data answer Yes by pushing the up part of the 5-way.
    -Your Treo will now have about 21.7MB of free space, plus no hotsync name.
    -Do a hotsync and when it asks you to pick your hotsync name select a new one. I used "Up Grade".
    -You can now do the Orange upgrade, using the new "Up Grade" name.
    -Make sure the upgrade is working 100%. No harm doing a couple of hotsync's using your "new" name.
    -Now, do a hard reset, followed by a hotsync, but this time pick your old, original, hotsync name.
    -After this you should have all your old programs back, all your data, plus an upgraded unit.

I would also recommend having a backup of all your apps and data on a SD card, just in case it does not hotsync back 100%. I use Resco Backup, but any will do as long as they work 100% on your unit.

Is all that clear enough?, if not just ask again as you don't want to have to start from scratch again
    Thought of the day :
    Great tip with the Hard resets - agree that SD card backup should be used to really play safe.
    Thanks ChasT. You live only 20mins away from me.. I have BackupBuddy so hpoefully that will cover me. Also I popped in an Orange shop today in London to see exactly what the ROM update did. They said is was to sort out the sound issues. I wonder if this is the only benefit as I had not had any sound issue problems and wondering whether to bother with the upgrade or not. What do you guys think?
    How do people with Macs install the update? Buy a PC!? Or do you think a download will be available for us soon?
    Steve.
  12. m4t
    Heh - ok, so I ran the orange updater to update 1.28 to orange 1.31 and after flashing the firmware the phone came up with an error about an invalid partition type and said that I need to upgrade using an SD card rather than via hotsync (I wish I'd made an exact note of the error!)

The phone seems to work ok - but phone info now reports:

Firmware: 1.31
    Software: Treo650-1.13-ROM

Any ideas anyone ?
    Just did mine. Seemed to go smooth. Phone info reports:

Firmware: 01.31
    Software: Treo650-1.15-OUK
    Hardware: A
  14. m4t
    What version were you upgrading from ?
    Quote Originally Posted by m4t
    Heh - ok, so I ran the orange updater to update 1.28 to orange 1.31 and after flashing the firmware the phone came up with an error about an invalid partition type and said that I need to upgrade using an SD card rather than via hotsync (I wish I'd made an exact note of the error!)

The phone seems to work ok - but phone info now reports:

Firmware: 1.31
    Software: Treo650-1.13-ROM

Any ideas anyone ?
    If you try to upgrade from 1.28 to Orange 1.15-OUK you will get the error.
    You need to upgrade using the SD card method.
    Read
    http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=823
    http://shadowmite.com/romsGSM.html

This gives you all the information you need to upgrade.
    I did upgrade to 1.15-OUK but decided to go back to rom 1.28 it's much better.
  16. m4t
    Ok - done the update as recommended via SD card first running the Firmware updater and then the ROM Updater. All went well without any errors and I now the Orange Phone app etc which I didn't have after my attempt with the original orange updater. Phone info *still* reports :

Software: Treo650-1.13-ROW
    Quote Originally Posted by m4t
    Ok - done the update as recommended via SD card first running the Firmware updater and then the ROM Updater. All went well without any errors and I now the Orange Phone app etc which I didn't have after my attempt with the original orange updater. Phone info *still* reports :

Software: Treo650-1.13-ROW
    If the phone info says 1.13 ROW then all you need to do is try the original hot sync update method from Orange. This is the one you tried earlier but failed. It should work now.
    m4t, if you do decide to update to orange 1.15-OUK then make sure you do a clean installation of all your applications afterwards.
    This will prevent frequent crashes and resets after the update.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    What p's me off about this is: How many of us have been contacted by Orange to tell us that new firmware is available? This is supposed to improve reliability and other issues, and they cant be bothered to inform their customers that an improvement is available. I'm going to stick to my unoranged FW 1.28/software 1.13ROW unless someone comes up with a compelling reason to change.... anyone?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfatgit
    What p's me off about this is: How many of us have been contacted by Orange to tell us that new firmware is available? This is supposed to improve reliability and other issues, and they cant be bothered to inform their customers that an improvement is available. I'm going to stick to my unoranged FW 1.28/software 1.13ROW unless someone comes up with a compelling reason to change.... anyone?
    I totally agree, Orange should have contacted us. I'm going to stick to my FW 1.31/ software 1.13 ROW. I don't believe that this update is going to alter much if anything- and I certainly don't want any Orange branding on my handset.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast