1.    #1  
    I've just received my Treo 650, on Orange in the UK. I would like to be able to use it as a modem, so that I can connect my PC to the internet over a BlueTooth link.

I have Bluetooth working between the PC and the Treo OK (e.g. for HotSyncing). And I have GPRS working OK on the Treo (e.g. Blazer is fine - or whatever they've changed the name to since I had a Treo 270).

But I can't get the Bluetooth Modem Dial-up-Networking working. I've tried following instructions on the PC (Dell X1 running WinXPPro with built in Bluetooth) and from Palm (e.g. http://www.palm.com/us/support/handb...GSM_DUN_UG.pdf) and using a combination of the two, and I've gathered some information (e.g. APN for Orange GPRS Internet) from http://www.cctvsafe.com/support/phone_settings.htm, but it won't give me a connection. Can anyone please give me a complete walk-through set of instructions, please?

Really grateful for any help.

Nick Goldman

(copies of responses to goldman@ebi.ac.uk also greatly appreciated)
    Maybe this will help you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  3.    #3  
    I'd seen that. The problem comes at Step 4 (page 10); my computer shows no Bluetooth modems, only the 'regular' one that's built in. So I can't see how to proceed. Any more ideas? Nick
    I added it in the control panel, Phones and modem, Add modem. Have you tried that?
  5.    #5  
    I thought about it, but when I started to do that, since I have no specific software provided to add a Bluetooth modem, all that I was offered was "[Standard Modem Types]" and this did not include any BT modems. So I thought that nothing there would be appropriate...?
    Goto http://www.taniwha.org.uk/

and get the generic modem script.

That's what I use for BlueTooth DUN between my powerbook g4 and treo 650.

works fine

(alternatively use the generic gprs or generic 3g modem scripts)
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for what looks like a helpful reply Gaffer74, but I'm a bit too ignorant to understand how to use the information. Please could you talk me through it a little? Also, I am trying to do this on WinXP and much of your info looks Mac-specific which is scary to me! Nick
    Aaaah, well these scripts are for the mac, sorry.

For windows:
    If you already have the treo modem drivers installed - ignore this red font -> Basically, you find the modem drivers from the web (try "drivers guide" in google and you should get a site with loadsa different windows drivers).
    Downlaod the correct driver onto your c: drive (check no viruses first.....!)
    Go into control panel and when looking for the DUN modem, point it towards the c: drive one you've just downloaded.

Now, you have to do as the palm site says, and get DUN switched on, now pair with your pc.

IMPORTANT *******Sometimes you have to SOFT RESET the treo first, then attempt pairing afterwards (until I did this, the mac wouldn't recognise the treo as having any services.)***********

If it pairs correctly it should recognise the treo as "phone" with "Dial Up Networking".

Now when you dial up, you should notice the "gprs connected" symbol come on on the phone (two arrows next to the aerial one)

G'Luck

PS I think soft reseting the treo just prior to pairing may help the most.

PPS my last windows pc was 4 years ago, so I'm running a bit blind here.....on the mac you simply stick the 4kB script into the library, soft reset the treo, pair and away you go...so it' roughly the same i think.
    Quote Originally Posted by ngoldman
    I thought about it, but when I started to do that, since I have no specific software provided to add a Bluetooth modem, all that I was offered was "[Standard Modem Types]" and this did not include any BT modems. So I thought that nothing there would be appropriate...?
    I installed the standard modem and it works fine:
    "Standard modem over Bluetooth link"

You also have to check which com port it uses so you can make the correct setting in Hot Sync setup.
    RE: "I'd seen that. The problem comes at Step 4 (page 10); my computer shows no Bluetooth modems, only the 'regular' one that's built in. So I can't see how to proceed. Any more ideas? Nick"

At the WinXP screen you are discussing, is there an automatic "find" button? I used that (with my Treo fully discoverable) and it found it and added the modem. When you click through the menus as you have, you cannot find the Bluetooth modem option.

I have successfully done DUN by adding the modem this way. Unfortunately for me, the modem keeps disappearing from the laptop when I stop using it, so I've installed it about 12 times now.