View Poll Results: Do you have the Orange Launcher or the Pa1m phone app?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have the Orange Launcher and I'm happy with it.

6 24.00%
  • I have the Pa1m phone app and I'm happy with it.

16 64.00%
  • I have the Orange Launcher but I want the standard phone app.

3 12.00%
  • I changed to the standard phone app but wish I hadn't

0 0%
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Who here still has thier Orange launcher still intact, and who has changed to the standard Pa1m phone app?

Basically have you taken the plunge and upgraded the firmware running you orange phone? If so, please state why you did so and how easy or hard you found it. What if any issues did you encounter and what version of the firmware are you using?

Likewise, if you haven't, please say why not. Is it for fear of voiding the warranty, does it sound to complex or dangerous or are you just plain happy with the Orange "launcher"?
    Last edited by Richks; 07/25/2005 at 11:23 AM. Reason: adding detail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richks
    Who here still has thier Orange launcher still intact, and who has changed to the standard Pa1m phone app?
    I upgraded, -> 1.23 -> 1.28
    The process is straight forward, just follow the instructions. The only thing that caught me out for a few minutes was the need for a hard reset after the second upgrade to allow it to sync with my real data, rather than with the fake upgrade user.

I upgraded mainly because the red button to switch the phone back on was unresponsive a lot of the time until the second or third press.

I think the Orange launcher application is actually prettier than the palm one, and possibly displays more useful information about the phone, but I just found it impractical to use, it was quicker to go to the palm "home" list of programs to find applications that it was to use the orange launcher.
    I think that I'd like to use the P1 default option in place of the Orange set-up.

I didn't mind the Orange screen at first, but now that I use Agendus, I find the Orange screen redundant.

So, what's holding me back? I don't want to void the warranty... yet
    I am have GPRS connections problems with an Orange UK 600 now on o2 in Ireland. I keep getting GPRS not available Ox 7143 error message even though my phone is showing a good Grps signal. If I wanted to change firmware away from orange what is the proceedure
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    This should get you started:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=87669

This is a bit more advanced:

http://mytreo.net/treofaq/TreoFaqHome

About half way down is the section on Treo 650 ROMs
    If it ain't broke don't fix it... I have the Orange app, and it works fine for me. I won't make the upgrade until an Orange version is released unless there is a good reason for me to. (I have VolumeCare to improve the handset speaker volume and mic volume).
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lte1000
    If it ain't broke don't fix it...
    A perfectly valid point. But it appears your opinion of what constitutes "broke" is somewhat different to mine
    Thanks for the info My error message was due to o2 & vodafone not telling people that you have to ask then to enable GPRS on your sim ! Apparently the sim should do this but it doesn't work ! Palm Support isn't broken - it's dead
    HomeScreen works fine, and I don't want to invalidate my warranty/orange care by fiddling with firmwares.
  10. jgk
    I've had the Orange launcher since day one and often find myself wondering if I ought to upgrade - but I'm a coward and don't really know what I'm missing I've learnt to live with it and put up with its idiosynchrisities.

So can anyone tell me - what am I missing by having the Orange launcher?
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgk
    I've had the Orange launcher since day one and often find myself wondering if I ought to upgrade - but I'm a coward and don't really know what I'm missing I've learnt to live with it and put up with its idiosynchrisities.

So can anyone tell me - what am I missing by having the Orange launcher?
    Hi
    I changed to the palm interface as soon as I could. The palm interface is better than oranges because it allows much easier access to favourite numbers and apps. i find it easier to use as a phone than the orange launcher. Plus it is more stable now, and i have no worries about the warranty - if you haver to return the phone no-one at orange is going to have any idea what you have done. orange have admitted that there are software problems with their launcher which can cause resets. I would not go back now...
    I use the Orange screen. Seems fine to me.