1.    #1  
    I am waiting to upgrade to a Treo 650 but I am not doing it until the new firmware is pre-installed. Is it out yet?
    Given how long it took them to get their custom firmware ready in the first place, I doubt it will happen any time soon - furthermore, I don't think they've sold that many, so support is unlikely to be a high priority for them. Most people get rid of the Orange firmware anyway - it really ruins the user interface on the Treo. If you want one, I'd strongly recommend buying one with the current Orange firmware and flashing it with 1.28 yourself - it's a fairly foolproof process, and there are plenty of people on here who've done it who can offer advice and assistance.
    1.28 did not fix any major problems on the Orange Treo, the pre-installed 1.21 was an improvment over other GSM phones.

Therefore I don't think Orange will be doing 1.28 anyway.

I hope I'm wrong, but I would not wait.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    I have the Orange Treo with the pre-installed 1.21, and its perfectly useable (although I recommend VolumeCare to get the best handset and mic volume - see separate threads on this). As far as I know 1.28 frees up some memory but doesn't really help much with the volume, so I wouldn't let that hold you up buying the Treo - you will almost certainly want an SD card anyway.