Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone tried it?
    Tried it and loved it!

I got bored waiting for the Tomtom website to tell me it had been released, so did the tour of my local gadget shops. To my surprise, PC World had one in stock and so I bought it (199.99).

It worked immediately and I've used it virtually every day since. It's probably the best investment I've made for ages (particularly when I downloaded the - free - speed camera database from pocketgpsworld!)

All I need now is the Western Europe map to be released & I'll be 100% happy!

Hope this helps

TC
  3.    #3  
    Some questions:

Does it give instructions using the Treo's speaker?

Can you use the maps without the GPS?

Can you input a postcode?

What would the American maps cost?
    Some answers.....

1) Yes - surprisingly loud!

2) Yes (using the "browse map" feature in the menu)

3) Yes (one of the features Tomtom is most pleased with, by the look of things)

4) No idea, sorry

TC
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Cymraeg
    Tried it and loved it!

I got bored waiting for the Tomtom website to tell me it had been released, so did the tour of my local gadget shops. To my surprise, PC World had one in stock and so I bought it (199.99).

It worked immediately and I've used it virtually every day since. It's probably the best investment I've made for ages (particularly when I downloaded the - free - speed camera database from pocketgpsworld!)

TC
    Does using it disable the phone function: if you make or receive a call, does it lose the navigation?
    When you either make or receive a call, the navigator screen disappears and the Treo "becomes" a phone again. As soon as the call ends and you press the Tomtom logo again, the navigation screen picks up from where you left off. It takes a second or two to hook up to the GPS receiver again, but I guess the GPS carries on going during the phone call.

The only problem is that you don't get any kind of navigation info during the phone call - for example, if you're approaching a turn and the phone goes then you'll miss the turn instruction.

TC
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Sorry, stupid question time:

Is this the set with a BT GPS or is the GPS wired? If BT, what's the connectivity like (is it stable?). What's battery life like?

How much memory does the app take? Can you load maps to SD? How much space do they take?

Thanks!
    The Navigator 5 comes with a Bluetooth GPS receiver. I've had no problems with the connectivity (even when experimenting with putting the receiver in my pocket or under the dashboard). I wouldn't know about battery life, since I tend to "top up" the battery at least once a week by plugging it into the cigarette lighter for an hour or so.

Actually, that's the only drawback of the package. Tomtom only bundle a car charger lead with the GPS receiver. It would have been useful to have included a mains charger as well. As for memory, the entire application runs from the SD card (I think only a couple of small files are actually installed on the Treo). I haven't yet added any maps, but the speed camera database was a doddle to install using a card reader.

Like I said in my first post, I've been delighted with the Navigator 5 package. I understand the Western Europe maps wil be available within the next couple of weeks, so the days of me getting lost in an unfamiliar city while trying to find a hotel/airport/car hire office should soon be over!

TC
    Last edited by Treo Cymraeg; 07/22/2005 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Didn't answer the entire question!
    I bought the TomTom Navigator 5 yesterday for my Treo. This is the Bluetooth Model. I have to say I'm very impressed by it so far...

The Bluetooth connection is rock solid and I haven't had any problems with disconnections. The battery life seems really good - I haven't really had a chance to properly test this yet but I think TomTom say it will last a day before you need to recharge. Remember though that you don't get a charger for in the house - you have to recharge using the car cigarette lighter.

If you buy the UK TomTom then you already get the UK map loaded on the SD card that comes with the unit. This is what I did yesterday to get it all working:

- Put the TomTom included SD card into the Treo. It autoruns and asks you some set-up questions. You also need to go to the TomTom website to activate the product (I didn't have any problems with the activation though I think some people have had problems on here).

- Once the software is activated I then wanted to make some back-up's of the SD card. I won't be using the included SD card as I have my own 1GB card - so the first thing I did was back-up the TomTom SD card to my own 1GB card. Secondly, I made another backup of the SD card to my PC (just in case !). The included TomTom SD card is now 'put away' safely and won't be used again unless I get problems..

- I then went to Pocket GPS World and downloaded the Camera POI and Camera Warning Sounds. The Pocket GPS website has details on how to install the POI files onto your SD card. Remember you need to enable these new POI and associate the sounds to them (again this is explained on the PocketGPS website).

- I then set-up some of the configuration items on the TomTom Software - things like setting your home location etc.

- Then it was time to test this baby. I entered my mates postcode and house number and put the Treo/TomTom in the car. The TomTom unit is very small and can really be put anywhere (I even found it worked in the glovebox !) The Treo will need to be mounted so that you can see the screen - I bought this and it works great:

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?...O_650_GSM_GPRS

- I set off on the journey and the TomTom navigated me the exact same way I've been using for the last 15 years to get to my friends house (my friend lives about 10 miles away). The instructions through the Treo speaker are loud enough to be heard - though obviously I doubt you would hear them with the radio on etc...

I know I've only used the TomTom for a day so far - but I'm pretty impressed with it so far...

Mark.
    UK
    Thanks everyone for their contribution on this thread. You convinced me to go and get one yesterday. Its awesome. Even downloaded the free gatso database as well. Can't believe how much TOm Tom charge for it.
    Also I've looked at the cardle link posted. Slightly confused. Cradle shows mount for 11.95 but underneath says it comprises universal PDA cradle (13.57) and swivel vent mount (9.32). Am I missing something here how can the indivudual componants add up to far more than the whole?
    As someone who has a horrible sense of direction and frequently gets lost I've been considering a TOM TOM 300 but after the positive comments in this thread this may be the version I go for. I use a Mac and was wondering if the installation process or software was PC specific? Is it also possible to use a bluetooth headset in addition to the GPS receiver?
    heterodoxos

I've also got a Mac and I've found there to be only one problem so far.

As already mentioned, the initial set-up doesn't involve a PC (or Mac) - you just insert the SD card and pair your Treo with the GPS receiver. When I installed the speed camera database, I used a card reader with my Powerbook and everything worked just as it should.

The only problem I've found so far is that the Mac won't open an .exe file (although I may well be missing something). I downloaded a map from the Tomtom Plus website and it wouldn't open on the Mac. I had to download it again onto my wife's PC before using the card reader to put the necessary bits and pieces onto the SD card. In future, I'll be downloading maps direct to the Treo.

The BT headset can't be used at the same time as the GPS receiver, although I'm sure you could leave it on standby and pair it when the phone rings. One drawback with doing that - the GPS receiver powers down after 5 minutes with no BT signal, so you'd probably have to start all over again when the phone call ended.....

Hope this helps

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by becs
    Also I've looked at the cardle link posted. Slightly confused. Cradle shows mount for 11.95 but underneath says it comprises universal PDA cradle (13.57) and swivel vent mount (9.32). Am I missing something here how can the indivudual componants add up to far more than the whole?
    Hi Becs,

I have no idea why the 2 seperate parts cost so much more when ordered seperately. I ordered the whole kit costing 11.95 and they sent me both parts (saving me 10.94 ).

I've been using this holder for a few days now and am still happy with it. The phone hasn't fallen out of the unit once ! and is great because I can see TomTom very easily..

Thanks
    Mark
    Thank you for the reply Cymraeg. As far as I know exe files are PC only. I had a feeling the headset wouldn't work at the same time but at the moment I've yet to find a headset that will actually stay connected to the handset. My only concern now is if there might be something wrong with my handset which would stop it staying connected to the GPS receiver. I'm going into Dixons tomorrow to see if I can test it out.
    AAArrrggghhhh!. Been working fine all weekend. However, this morning every time I go into Tom Tom with 5 secords it soft resets my Treo. Help!
    Tom Tom is working again this afternoon. One to watch I think in case there are software issues
    Hi, folks. I just got my TomTom Navigator 5. This is the version with Italian maps, but I think the distribution is quite the same as for UK costumers.
    Everything is fine, but I tried to migrate the software and files into the 1GB SD card I use daily and failed in properly launching the program (the screen is flashing, nothing happens).
    I understand Mark (retrospek) succeeded in doing that, so my question is whether any special care must be used in copying files. In particular, since the TomTom SD holds also PPC files, I think, which files should be copied and where should they be placed?
    Many thanks in advance. Ciao. Francesco
    I have been in europe for over month and put over 3,700 miles on my tom tom nav 5 in germany, switzerland, ausria, france and spain. I have used it on foot as well, it is a lifesaver. the volume is good but really pumped it up for the convertible I bought here with the sedieo amped holster, now answering the phone is an issue but hope to solve it back in the states. european maps were not avail but were able to convert tom tom gogo european maps to work.

this software made the trip so much easier.
    battery life would go for an entire day of driving. had die twice but becuase I didn't recharge the night before.

forgot to post my issues:
    one- already mentioned, lack of ac adapter, fortunatly needed a 110-220 battery charger anyway and found one that handled multi voltage outputs and had 6 different connectors, worked perfectly.
    issue 2: battery charge and power on indicator lights extremely difficult to see, especially with convertible.
    issue 3 is with maps, but may be fixed with nav 5 european maps. spellings of cities inconsistent, sometimes St. Jean de Luz is Saint other times it is spelled St. or in the language of the country, other times spelled everway.

I love the fact that if you missed an instruction, rather than turn you around, like my magellan did, it would just find another route using your wrong turn if it didn't take you too much out of the way.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast