Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hey I have been reading the posts here and reviews other places and I have a few questions that are not covered anywhere.

1) If the gps receiver is not connected to any thing (pc, smart phone, pda, etc.) and it is on will it keep a track log of where it has been?

2) What is the coverage of the map or maps? If I get the US map how far does it go? Does it reach Canada and Mexico?

3) I have heard of different maps, can they be added to be all used at the same time to navigate the globe or can you only use one at one time?

This would really help my decision.

I just got a Treo 650 with Verizon service in Chicago, IL USA

Thanks in advance to all

Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by wakko
    Hey I have been reading the posts here and reviews other places and I have a few questions that are not covered anywhere.

3) I have heard of different maps, can they be added to be all used at the same time to navigate the globe or can you only use one at one time?

Eric
    Yes, maps can be loaded at the same time in one SD card. However, you can only use one map at a time. So if you are in America and is about to cross the border to Mexico, then you can load the Mexico map and make it the active map. That is assuming of course that there is a TT map for Mexico.
    I live in Texas.

I can get lost in my own back yard.

I'm coming to London next week.

If I buy the Tom Tom Bluetooth for my Treo 650:

1. Will it help me walking around London? Can I add a map that will give me street level guidance?

2. Can I carry the GPS unit in my pocket?

3. I won't have a car. How can I charge it?

Thanks.

sjh
    1. I have the UK version and it gives me street level guidance, you will need to purchase the UK map from the TOM TOM web site.

2. GPS unit works fine in my pocket.

3. TOM TOM probably sell a wall charger but I would try somewhere like Radio Shack for a cheaper but just as good generic charger.

One word of caution, be very careful walking around certain parts of London holding an expensive phone. Especially in the evening and in tourist areas such as Leicester Square. This is common sense I know but it never hurts to remind people.

As someone with a horrible sense of direction TOM TOM has liberated me from the stress of ever getting lost again. The best purchase I've made in a long time.
    Ok guys bought the software, Tottenham court road, just visit every shop, Tom Tom Nav 5 software and europe maps, plus 1gig fast speed Sd card, 159...read it and weep.

Also just been on a business trip to europe driving from uk through france, belguim, luxembourg and then onto Germany and I can tell you all maps are great and because some of them are PLUS, they cover other countries major routes.

So TT5 software can be bought cheaply in London and maps are great on my Treo650 with Tom Tom GPS which I bought long time agao for my Dell x50v...so big thumbs up I navigated through these countries without any issue saving me precious time and not getting lost, also was on my own so did not have a map reader, trusted the tt5 all the way.

NO BETTER COMBINATION ON THE MARKET, Treo650 + TT5....solid Gold!!!
    I've also used TT5 in London in my pocket. Sometimes signal goes if you are shielded by high buildings but soon picks up again. Again be careful holding it on show as you walk around. I have it in my pocket and just listen to directions through headphones. Looks like an ordinary mp3 player you are listening to. Best thing I ever purchased including the TT Traffic. Already saved me time in one journey.
    Last edited by becs; 09/11/2005 at 07:32 AM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by prairiefire
    I live in Texas.

I can get lost in my own back yard.

I'm coming to London next week.

If I buy the Tom Tom Bluetooth for my Treo 650:

1. Will it help me walking around London? Can I add a map that will give me street level guidance?

Thanks.

sjh
    There is an option in Tom Tom 5 (Preferences, Planning Preferences) in which you can specify "only walking routes". Make sure you choose this option because the default setting is "only the fastest" which takes you to the motorways as often as it can.
    TT5 & treo650 working great. I bought the Palm boxed bundle which included a 3rd party GPS unit rather than the slim TT one (but came with all euro maps on CD).

Without having others to compare I'm slightly disappointed by this GPS unit's performance. Often loses satellites at very inconvenient times - then TT guesses you're 50 miles away and starts barking meaningless directions (I was told to take a sharp right off the motorway the other day straight into a field - no I didn't comply). A couple of times it's had me cruising about 50m north of the A3 heading into London (I was actually on the A3 at the time).

FIXING INSTALL PROBLEMS
    --------------------------
    For anyone else struggling to install here's a few tips:
    1. if you've had other PalmOS desktops/devices (I'd had Clies) then thoroughly clean out any files/ registry settings and reinstall. Legacy files interfered with TomTom's conduit.
    2. I've occasionally had to resort to soft-resets to clear error messages, or even to get it to talk to my GPS unit again.

If anyone gets stuck I made notes when fixing mine and can post/send.

New problems?
    --------------
    Thoght I'd invest in Fugawi OS maps - but that's another story...
    Quote Originally Posted by CoxJul
    Often loses satellites at very inconvenient times - then TT guesses you're 50 miles away and starts barking meaningless directions (I was told to take a sharp right off the motorway the other day straight into a field - no I didn't comply). A couple of times it's had me cruising about 50m north of the A3 heading into London (I was actually on the A3 at the time).

--------------
    Thoght I'd invest in Fugawi OS maps - but that's another story...
    Happened to me a couple of times. Am using a TT5 with a palmone GPS
    Me and my big mouth!

As my earlier posts in this thread suggest, I'm delighted with my TT5 and couldn't wait to buy the Europe Maps so I can find my way around when I'm away on business.

I bought the 6 CD set in Amsterdam airport at the weekend, but am having real problems loading the Spanish maps onto the SD card using a card reader. Any suggestions? I'm using a Mac Powerbook with a USB card reader, BTW, although the CDs seem to be running fine on the Mac OS. Any help would be appreciated - my trip to Spain is in a little over a week's time.

TC
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123