Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gf3799
    Hi, folks. I just got my TomTom Navigator 5. This is the version with Italian maps, but I think the distribution is quite the same as for UK costumers.
    Everything is fine, but I tried to migrate the software and files into the 1GB SD card I use daily and failed in properly launching the program (the screen is flashing, nothing happens).
    I understand Mark (retrospek) succeeded in doing that, so my question is whether any special care must be used in copying files. In particular, since the TomTom SD holds also PPC files, I think, which files should be copied and where should they be placed?
    Many thanks in advance. Ciao. Francesco

Hi,

All I did was:

1) As soon as I got the TomTom I placed the SD card that comes with it in the Treo and activated it.

2) I then took this TomTom SD card out of the Treo and put into my PC SD Card Reader. I then went into [My Computer] and double-clicked on the SD Drive so that I could see the contents of the SD card.

3) I then went to the [Tools] [Folder Options] menu in My Computer and clicked the [View] tab. Then I made sure I had a tick next to the [Show Hidden Files and Folders] option (I'm not sure if this is really required - but I wanted to make sure I also copied any hidden files).

4) I then did a [Select All] of the files on the TomTom SD card and copied & pasted the contents to a newly created folder on my local PC.

5) Then I removed the TomTom SD card from the Card Reader and inserted my 1GB SD card. You now need to copy ALL of the data you backed up in step 4) above back to your 1GB card. You must put everything back exactly as it was on the original TomTom SD card (e.g. the Voices directory must go in the root directory on the new SD card)

This is all I did and it worked for me. Just make sure you copy the files to the same place on the 1GB card as they were on the original TomTom card.

I did all of this in Windows XP - but I guess the same would apply in other versions of Windows..

Hope this helps..
    Mark
    Many thanks, Mark. It seems to work for me, too. I have still to check whether all functions are working, but, at least, the TomTom software launches without errors.
    Thanks again. Francesco
    Hi

still getting reboots daily, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Before installation of tom tom, i didn't get any soft resets. Anyone else getting this? Also how quick do people find the gps gets a fix. Stood outside this morning and it couldn't get a fix.
    spoke to Tom TOm, sounds like I have a dodgy GPS. However, there is such a shortage of supply at the moment that the shop cannot change it for me just yet. Apparently loads of people have been asking for it, but just cannot get hold of it.
    Is this the same as the Tom Tom plug and go GPS navigator UK on the Palm website.They have two one for 170 and 199 not exactly worked out the difference yet. I think its the maps but not sure.
    LozzaMac - seems to be 2 alternative bundles, TomTom's (as described at start of thread) and Palm's although both use TomTom 5 - Palm's cheaper at expansys...

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=124784

just seen on the Palm site that there is a Euro bundle @ 199UKP over 179ukp for uk bundle - a premium over Expansys, but probably cheaper than obtaining euro maps after the fact...

Any reviews of this bundle over TomTom's own bundle (i.e. GPS unit?)
    Last edited by CoxJul; 08/11/2005 at 03:59 PM.
    ... Euro Map bundle doesn't include SD card, hence not the markup between bundles I'd otherwose expect. Not a problem for us with 1GB cards as many seem to simply copy the bundle card onto a bigger one anyway!
    I bought my TT Nav 5 at the weekend - wow, I am not usually impressed by technology, as it is usually more complicated than necessary, but I must say that I think TT have done a good job here. One question though, I thought the main routes of Europe were included in the GB map?

Is this right?

Anyone thinking whether to buy or not - go for it. The software is compatible with a number of PDA's so if you change at a later date, it shouldn't be a problem - I presume?
    I've bought the Palm BT GPS / TomTom5 (Europe maps) bundle. i.e. no SDCard preinstalled, only CDs with loads of maps.

However there appears to be problems with Hotsync exchange and voice/map files are not being synched across properly. There's an option to copy direct onto the card but this doesn't seem to place the maps in the right place.

The documentation is TERRIBLE! And I can't find any assistance on Tomtom or palm websites.

I need to know what files are where. I currently have the CN.prc and START.prc files in the SDCard's \PALM\LAUNCHER directory. If anyone can publish what other directories containing what other files there are on their working SDCard that might be a massive help (to me and others with this problem on other forums)!
    All

I have a Tom Tom Bluetooth receiver, so can anyone tell me if I can get just the software and maps from anywhere????

other than the most expensive tom tom website..
    ebay
    Is Scotland included in the UK map? (should be, but I just want to be sure)
    Quote Originally Posted by muttdaemon
    Is Scotland included in the UK map? (should be, but I just want to be sure)
    In the Euro Bundle you get 3 levels of GB...
    1 Postcode level (small - 8mb, probably just an overlay)
    2 Great Britain (110ish MB) England, Scotland, Wales & NI only
    3 Great Britain-plus (220ish MB) as GB but with Europe main routes
    [Plus you get detailed maps for Euro countries]

If only I could install them so they work! (see earlier post) Still seeking help!

Presume GB bundle includes these 3 GB levels too!
    Quote Originally Posted by becs
    ebay
    Be aware that some of the TomTom software on ebay is pirate software that has been fixed to get around the registration process.

I bought one not realising this, and then also found that the fix deos not work for Palm OS machines. It'll work on a PPC machine, but not a Palm.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Can you still play music via ptunes while tomtom is navigating?
    Quote Originally Posted by CoxJul
    In the Euro Bundle you get 3 levels of GB...

If only I could install them so they work! (see earlier post) Still seeking help!
    Come on guy's, there must be someone out there with TomTom 5 working on a Palm that can help.

I'd help, but I'm using Navman and I'm not 100% happy, so I'm watching here before I try and buy the software only.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    LozzaMac - seems to be 2 alternative bundles, TomTom's (as described at start of thread) and Palm's although both use TomTom 5 - Palm's cheaper at expansys...

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=124784
    It's 143.95 from expansys and 126.57 from wehavethings . Expansys would match it though. See email below:

On 8/25/05, Naseem Khan <Naseem.Khan@expansys.com> wrote:

Dear Sir,

Pls be advised that we are able to price match. If you are interested pls call me on 0161 868 0868.

Regards
    Naseem
    EXpansys
    I've bought the Palm BT GPS / TomTom5 (Europe maps) bundle. i.e. no SDCard preinstalled, only CDs with loads of maps.

However there appears to be problems with Hotsync exchange and voice/map files are not being synched across properly. There's an option to copy direct onto the card but this doesn't seem to place the maps in the right place.

The documentation is TERRIBLE! And I can't find any assistance on Tomtom or palm websites.

I need to know what files are where. I currently have the CN.prc and START.prc files in the SDCard's \PALM\LAUNCHER directory. If anyone can publish what other directories containing what other files there are on their working SDCard that might be a massive help (to me and others with this problem on other forums)!
    These are the folders in the root directory of SD card where Tomtom 5 is installed and running:

Great_Britain-Map - Folder where the GB map is installed. If you have new maps, you would probably have to rename the folder with this format: Country_name-Map (e.g. France-Map)

itn - I don't know what this folder is for. There is only one file inside called temporary.iti. I assume that this is where the iteneraries are saved.

Licenses - license agreement folder in different languages

raster - no idea what this folder is for

schemes - all the map colors that I downloaded from the tomtom plus website were saved here

tomtom - various tomtom files

voices - a folder where you can save the celebrity voices that you purchased/downloaded

zip - contains the Great Britain Post Code list
    Quote Originally Posted by muttdaemon
    Can you still play music via ptunes while tomtom is navigating?
    Yes, it is possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    I'd help, but I'm using Navman and I'm not 100% happy, so I'm watching here before I try and buy the software only.
    If there's anything you would like me to try on the Tomtom/Palmone Navigator, I would gladly do it for you and post the result here.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast