1.    #1  
    Hi,

Can anyone access the Telstra wap portal (wap.telstra.com or wap.telstra.com/wap) using the builtin Blazer browser?

It just sits there stuck saying sending, no data is transferred. Interesting, I can access any other web site, and even Optus' WAP portal (Optus Zoo) with no issue. I have tried using the different GRPS profiles that came with the device (eg gprs internet and WAP specific ones) but still no success.

I have called both Telstra and Palm and they were no hope whatsoever.

Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know the url of telstra's i-mode portal? Apparantly this browser supports i-mode content.
    Jbroberg

I'm in Sydney on Optus network. I haven't tried WAP services yet. I give the sites you mentioned a try a little later on ....
  3. rio
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I am in bris.
    logged in to wap.telstra.com/ in about 30 secs.
    Never had the need before,so this was first go.

I use Vodafone - so much cheaper/user friendly - AND
    they TALK to you when needs be.

Cheers,

RIO
    rio
    Brisbane Australia
  4. rio
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    try
    i-mode.com.au/i-mode.cfm
    rio
    Brisbane Australia
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rio
    I am in bris.
    logged in to wap.telstra.com/ in about 30 secs.
    Never had the need before,so this was first go.

I use Vodafone - so much cheaper/user friendly - AND
    they TALK to you when needs be.

Cheers,

RIO
    Hi Rio,

Well as a matter of fact I just switched to Voda AU. Screw telstra. And infuriatingly, as you say you can browse the telstra WAP portal from Voda (but not telstra!!!).

While I have you here, can you divulge whether you can access the vodaphone live portal from your treo? If so, please list settings (both the GPRS profile and any proxy needed in blazer).

Currently when I stick my Voda sim in, it lists two profiles. One is general internet (which works fine), other is for MMS I believe (also works fine) but i cant seem to access the Vodafone live portal (live.vodafone.com or myvodafone.com.au).

Also I am accumulating various useful wap and i-mode sites. I tell you its not easy to find the URL's for many of them, and many are also restricted to telstra.
    Jbroberg
    I just logged on to i-mode.com.au/i-mode.cfm using Blazer on a Optus Sim'd Treo. However I think it was displaying html version of the site not optimised. I had to set Blazer to small fonts & wide page to render it a little better (Graphic buttons have both the graphic text + text text over the top - if that makes sense).

In terms of the connection I didn't do anything special. I did notice that when I powered up the phone it already had several Network/connection items in Palm Prefs, that mention Optus - so the installation automatically set up WAP, GPRS & MMS connections with Optus. I wondered how it did that - perhaps that's missing from a Telstra setup. I recently reinstalled the Treo Desktop (in order to get VoicePad, NotePad - another thread) - anyway if you vaugly recall during installation there is a question like "Download latest settings from internet"? Well what that does is finds your latest network & phone settings. Is is possible you disabled that during installation & did not get the Telstra specific settings? ...Normally I too am wary of letting everything poll the internet these days - Just a thought.

Would be very keen get some WAP or other addresses, I don't have too many yet since I'm still trying to figure out how much it's costing - Ive had the phone less than a month
    Quote Originally Posted by rio
    try
    i-mode.com.au/i-mode.cfm
    Hi Rio,
    I am with Telstra and tried that URL but although it loaded it didn't have links to any content. Did I miss something?

BTW jbroberg I have always had exactly the same issues with Telstra wap. I can get any other site but the Telstra ones. I dont have the URLs for the other Australian telcos but there was a thread some time ago from which I complied a list of sites to try. The problem is finding Australian content. As I dont have a data plan I also found it too expensive to keep experimenting at 2.2c/kb. So I browse throught the PC then only use the sites that are most useful.

David- if you want I wil PM you the list. I tripled my normal phone account in my first month of owning my Treo so I have stopped trying but it is irritating having all this capability without being able to use it.

Are there any other Telstra users out there that can share their set up? I don't really want to change as I am on an (otherwise) cheap plan that I share with my husband.

Thanks
    Librarian
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by librarian
    Hi Rio,
    I am with Telstra and tried that URL but although it loaded it didn't have links to any content. Did I miss something?
    No. It just seems like an ad for i-mode, not actual useful imode content.

BTW jbroberg I have always had exactly the same issues with Telstra wap. I can get any other site but the Telstra ones. I dont have the URLs for the other Australian telcos but there was a thread some time ago from which I complied a list of sites to try. The problem is finding Australian content. As I dont have a data plan I also found it too expensive to keep experimenting at 2.2c/kb. So I browse throught the PC then only use the sites that are most useful.
    Yes. And telstra were useless when prompted for support. Talk about passing the buck.

David- if you want I wil PM you the list. I tripled my normal phone account in my first month of owning my Treo so I have stopped trying but it is irritating having all this capability without being able to use it.
    I'm on a vodafone $79 cap, which gives me enough data that I don't really pay attention to what I use anymore.

Some useful sites I have found:
    www.google.com/pda
    www.google.com/imode
    imode.bigpondmovies.com - netflix type service
    www.qantas.com.au/wap/dyn/Main - check arrivals, etc
    i-mode.realestate.com.au - mobile real estate listings
    mobile.msn.com/pocketpc - mobile hotmail, etc
    treo.treocentral.com - mobile version of this site
    wapleague.sportal.com.au - NRL
    wapafl.sportal.com.au - AFL
  9.    #9  
    For you aussies using Vodafone, some more information of interest.

I worked out how to get the Vodafone Live! portal working on the Treo 650. Here is how:

1. Go into Prefs, and create a new connection, or copy an existing connection (eg. copy VF Internet).
    2. Give the connection a new name (I used VF Live!)
    3. Connection type is GPRS
    4. Set the apn to be live.vodafone.com
    5. Leave username/pass blank, default settings for everything
    6. Once it is done, hit connect
    7. Go into Blazer, select Options->Preferences
    8. Select the Advanced tab, and select 'Set Proxy'
    9. Check the 'Use Custom Proxy' box, and set 10.202.2.60 and 8080 as the Proxy Server and Port respectively.
    10. Hit ok twice to get back to Blazer's browsing screen
    11. Enter http://live.vodafone.com and you should be redirected to the local portal, wap.vodafonelive.com.au
    12. Thats it!

Its mildly annoying to now have 3 GPRS profiles (VF Internet, Live and MMS) but hey, it works. Note you can't browse Vodafone Live! from the VF Internet GPRS profile, you need to create a 3rd profile as I have detailed above.