Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I was sailing in the British Virgin Islands last week. Curiously enough, the Treo 650 picked up the CCT Boatphone network on the 900/1800 frequencies.. I didn't make any calls, but sent and received numerous SMS, and got into email using GPRS! I could also browse sites, but could not log in to Yahoo or Treo Central. Mobile WeatherUnderground worked well and we could easily predict weather using the new animated rader! Here is a list of spots we sailed to and the coverage...
    Tortola - Nanny CAY/Beef Island had coverage
    Norman Island - The Bight, had coverage
    Cooper Island - had coverage
    Virgin Gorda - The Baths, had coverage
    Trellis Bay - Had coverage
    Virgin Gorda - Gorda Sound/Leverick Bay, no coverage
    Marina Key - had coverage
    Jost Van Dyke - Little Harbor (home of Sydney's Peace and Love Restaurant), had coverage

Not sure how much I'll get charged for using the Trep down there, I will post the fees when I get my T-Mobile billl.
    Mike
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Well I got great signal last year wnen I was camping in Skegness too.
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    I was sailing in the British Virgin Islands last week. Curiously enough, the Treo 650 picked up the CCT Boatphone network on the 900/1800 frequencies.. I didn't make any calls, but sent and received numerous SMS, and got into email using GPRS! I could also browse sites, but could not log in to Yahoo or Treo Central. Mobile WeatherUnderground worked well and we could easily predict weather using the new animated rader! Here is a list of spots we sailed to and the coverage...
    Tortola - Nanny CAY/Beef Island had coverage
    Norman Island - The Bight, had coverage
    Cooper Island - had coverage
    Virgin Gorda - The Baths, had coverage
    Trellis Bay - Had coverage
    Virgin Gorda - Gorda Sound/Leverick Bay, no coverage
    Marina Key - had coverage
    Jost Van Dyke - Little Harbor (home of Sydney's Peace and Love Restaurant), had coverage

Not sure how much I'll get charged for using the Trep down there, I will post the fees when I get my T-Mobile billl.
    Mike
    It's a GSM quad-band world phone... Why is it so strange that it picked up the 900/1800 frequencies? It should...
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Strange that the BVIs carriers chose to use that frequency vs the US ones. Especially since a large number of visitors to the islands are from the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Marianne
    It's a GSM quad-band world phone... Why is it so strange that it picked up the 900/1800 frequencies? It should...
    http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roa...bandphones.htm

Here - scroll down a little more than half way on this page and you'll find an excellent chart of frequency bands by country.
    We were there about same time. They just turned on EDGE - we rented a PCMCIA card that gave us access & it worked everywhere except the Bight. Most places we were able to swwitch our Treo 600 to Cingular from US Virgins which I hope is cheaper than CCT's $2.99/min roaming for TMO. Data on 600 worked fine everywhere.