1.    #1  
    I have a GSM T650 in Mexico from Telcel, The problem is, I don't know if this is an unlocked GSM so I can update it.
    The update says "updater 1.13" and in phone info my treo sasy firmware 01.14.
    Anyone knows if I can update ?
    is there a way to update and go back if necesary?
    Thanks for your help

PS Carrier site has no info about it.
    Last edited by Tai; 06/17/2005 at 10:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai
    I have a GSM T650 in Mexico from Telcel, The problem is, I don't know if this is an unlocked GSM so I can update it.
    Thanks for your help

Update is only for CDMA(Sprint).
  3.    #3  
    There is an update for unlocked GSM
    I think - and i stress - THINK - that you wont have a problem - the update does not unlock the phone if it isnt unlocked already. but everything else should work fine. at the very least the 1.23 version floating around here will work so u can always revert to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai
    Thanks for your help

The Unlocked GSM Treo 650 Updater 1.13 updates the software to Treo650-1.13-ROW and the firmware to 01.28.

It's hard to know if your phone is unlocked from the info you give. When you look at the phone info screen what does it say opposite Software:? If its something like 'Treo650-X.XX-ROW' then it seems you have an unlocked machine. 'ROW' stands for 'rest of world' and is used by palmOne to designate software for unlocked phones. Phones with carrier-specific software (and which are likely to be SIM-locked to that carrier) have different three letter designations.

In summary, if your software is something like 'Treo650-X.XX-ROW', you should be able to upgrade using the 1.13 updater.

HTH
  6.    #6  
    If there aren't any logos, programs or anything from my carrier it should be an ulocked GSM right?
    the only thing from my carrier that is on my phone comes in the SIM.

There is a thread for cingular phones that says "There is no going back"
    Should I risk it ? can I ruin my phone?
  7.    #7  
    It says Software: Treo650-1.05-ROW
    So I guess I can update, Thanks Markc
    I can't offer a guarantee, but I'm pretty certain that everthing will be fine if you use the updater. Just read the palmOne pages carefully and use the appropriate protocol (i.e. use the 'alternate' method if you have less than 15 MB free memory). I went this route and all was fine!

EDIT: Link to alternate method:

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...pecial_dl.html
    Last edited by MarkC; 06/17/2005 at 03:02 PM.