Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    PalmOne has just released the 1.28 firmware. Would there be any problems (aside from possible warranty issues with Orange) if I install the firmware for unlocked GSMs to my Orange treo? Has anybody successfully flashed their Orange Treo with the 1.28 Firmware?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Haven's actually had time to look at this properly yet (stupid work, having to actually earn a living today, so unfair!) but it looks like you can run the update on "branded" handsets if they've got unbranded firmware installed. Since I have a custom version of 1.23 installed at the moment which is totally unbranded it ought to work fine on my Treo. So I have no way of testing if it'll work on an "out of the box" Orange 650.

I will look at this at lunchtime and report my findings. My only real complaint with the device at the moment though is that the earpiece seems a bit quiet. Not unusably so, just a bit too quiet. I will be looking for improvement with this in the upgrade. Apparently there is better memory use also, so poeple ought to have more psace available after the upgrade.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Richks
    Haven's actually had time to look at this properly yet (stupid work, having to actually earn a living today, so unfair!) but it looks like you can run the update on "branded" handsets if they've got unbranded firmware installed. Since I have a custom version of 1.23 installed at the moment which is totally unbranded it ought to work fine on my Treo. So I have no way of testing if it'll work on an "out of the box" Orange 650.
    Hmm no mention of Orange, but many of us have upgraded to 1.23 already, and junked the Orange stuff. However my phone is not unlocked, so would the non generic update work OK? Be good to have louder BT headsets.... My guess is that Orange will hold off untill they can sort out their own software issues and that will probably take months. So I will be keen to go to 1.28, if some brave soul can test it first!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    As far as I can tell from other posts and from my experience with the treo 600, the likelyhood is that if you cannot upgrade your phone i6t is because the upgrade is blocked rather than because the upgrade is not compatible. This means that you will simply get a message telling you to bugger off rather than bricking your Treo.

People with Cingular branded handsets have upgraded with no problems (as long as they've flased to one of the betas first). This means Orange *ought* to work (with the same caveat about flashing to one of the betas first).
    I just upgraded mine from 1.23 (previously had orange branded firmware) and it went fine. Now shows:
    Firmware 01.28
    Software Treo650-1.1.13-ROW

I can't say if this would work straight from an Orange branded firmware version. In any case all you would have to do is upgrade to 1.23 first.

Works fine so far, but can't really tell if the audio is any louder or not.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Ditto.

Used the updater, all working fine but haven't had a chance to use it properly yet.
  7.    #7  
    I'd like to try updating to 1.28 without flashing to 1.23 first. If the direct upgrade to 1.28 wouldn't work, what's the worst thing that could happen to my treo?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    *Probably* you will get a message telling you that your phone is the wrong version. This isn't actually true: The Orange branded phones are identical in hardware to all the other GSM Treos but the software is probably set to reject that update. Installing one of the leaked betas clears that part of the software and will allow you to install the 1.28 update.

Or so the theory goes.

I make no guarantees though, you might totally destroy your treo if I'm wrong ;^)
  9.    #9  
    I'll do it the long way then...1.09 to 1.23 to 1.28. Thanks
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Just to update:

The earpiece SEEMS louder than it was before. I started talking and (as usual) instinctively tried to turn the volume of the call up. Normally it just sits there showing that I'm at the top volume. This time it showed "top volume - 2". After turning up and ssaving with the thumb button it SEEMS louder.
    I assume the firmware update is only available on the US site?? Which one did you go for unlocked GSM?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Yup and yup.
    I have moved up to the new version -I orginially got rid of the Orange FW and moved to 1.23 which worked great -this also worked without a problem - palm have good instructions aswell if u dont have enough free memory. i cant really tell u if there is any difference as I havent noticed yet but I do know that since the upgrade - my treo never crashes!!! so much better than the 600. FYI -I think that upgrading the FW doesnt unlock the phone if it isnt already.
    Just updated mine but the firmware section in 'phone info' is blank now. The software version shows as 'Software Treo650-1.13-ROW'.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate
    Just updated mine but the firmware section in 'phone info' is blank now. The software version shows as 'Software Treo650-1.13-ROW'.

turn wireless on and it should appear......
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Ohhhhh yeeeeeessss. You are surely the wisest of sages! Thankyou.
    I noticed that as well
    I just ran the update from 1.23 to 1.28 (unlocked GSM) I was using Missing Sync on a Mac (panther) and the 'alternative upgrade ' where you create a temp user. Although the phone is working fine (I think) the software hasn't taken - I still have 1.06 listed for the phones Software (Firmware is now "blank") The only thing I changed is I checked the 'backup databases' box in the MS backup conduit. But I followed all the steps religously and it all went according to plan. Ideas anyone?
    I used missing sync and the alternative method as well and it worked for me. When you installed the 1.13 updater using your temporary ID what happened? Did you remember to do the hard reset afterwards and did you make sure the phone was turned off whilst doing the update?

With regards to the firmware being blank - Is the phone turned on? The firmware will be blank if the phone is off.
    Thanks for the tips Lozza - turned on phone and its still 1.23. I had to break off the update half way thru and may have missed the HR afterwards, so will try again and report back (feeling sheepish!). Is yours working well?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast