1.    #1  
    Hi there, Been busy away.

Sold my orange treo650, I got sick and tired with my orange handset and waiting for my unlock code. Sold it and used money to buy a palmone one. I am so happy now, only thing missing is you dont get an extra stylus and stero headset. No real biggy as I had 3 styluses already in my Orange treo 650 box.

No crashes works fine, and no crappy orange branding and no idots to deal with. Insurance wise covered with my lloyds account coverage, credit card cover for 180 days and covered by care also.
    Sayem

apple_power
    Powerbooks 15, 12"
    ibook 12"
    imac G5
    emac
    Phones:Treo 650/600, m2000/m1000, nokia 9500,6630,3510i, 6310i and Samsung D500, V3, V600, SEp910i, p900, P800 far to many more nadeset all the way back to 1993
    Palm: T3, T5, E1, T1, T2, sonly clie ux50, Th55 and far to many others to list
    so which do you prefer? Is the orange treo really that bad? I had a plamone 650 on order from dabs but cancelled the order after dabs showed the item as in stock but didn't ship it to me for three days.

I now have the option of an orange 650 for free from my parents upgrade (they are more than happy with an older phone and spend enough each month for it to be free). so is it really worth the extra expense over the orange one? Also is there any difference in stability?
  3.    #3  
    Right I have had the phone for a day now and no crashes, only one lock up and that was me being silly, saying that my oraange flashed treo 650 once flashed did not have any real dramas.

I just got sick and tired of orange and there attidue, to be honest.

Only real differnce is you get no extra stylus, and a single ear headpice with foam and no try card. Plus side, no orange crap, and I have a stable phone out of the box, that contains excatly the same software on both cd's unlike orange, shame on you. Putting zap on the windows cd only along with the oush to talk appliaction. Shame on you orange.

What else, all my settings are picked up by default and the biggest pro it is unlocked. Which being in the army is important to me. The best thing is I bought itr for tax free from expansys. So it only cost me 340.18 plus delivery at 5.90. After sellig my orange branded treo 650, I walked out with no loss and a better handset I feel over all as orange have not tampered with it.

It comes with firmware 1.15 but I wont flash it yet as it is working fine and i have had no issues what so ever.

I definatly prefer unbranded. But if your parents can get it fo free then I would stick to free, as free is always better then paying. Unless you can sell it like it like me and buy it, I would not reccomend it. Or unless you are mega rich.
    Sayem

apple_power
    Powerbooks 15, 12"
    ibook 12"
    imac G5
    emac
    Phones:Treo 650/600, m2000/m1000, nokia 9500,6630,3510i, 6310i and Samsung D500, V3, V600, SEp910i, p900, P800 far to many more nadeset all the way back to 1993
    Quote Originally Posted by apple_power
    It comes with firmware 1.15 but I wont flash it yet as it is working fine and i have had no issues what so ever.
    Well, in case you didn't notice yet, the 1.28 firmware is out, it's GA, ... and it's SWEET. Even improved over the 1.21 and 1.23 that had been floating about. Flashed my unlocked GSM unit tonight and it's happy as a lark.
  5.    #5  
    Yep I noticed thta today also on the expansys site I had phone ow 1.06 updated it checked firmware and now reads 1.28 software for phone and 1.13 row.

Super, so happy i read support pages now.
    Sayem

apple_power
    Powerbooks 15, 12"
    ibook 12"
    imac G5
    emac
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Just completed the upgrade to 1.28 and 1.13ROW.

I had an Orange phone once.... Took it back to the shop after 7 days because there was no signal - not in the middle of nowhere, but a military base in London! Orange tried to tell me that there must be some sort of military jamming going on (!), but other networks were fine. My Treo 650 was bought unlocked and has worked without problems from the start, though after reading these helpful forums I choose addtional software carefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by aal234
    so which do you prefer? Is the orange treo really that bad? I had a plamone 650 on order from dabs but cancelled the order after dabs showed the item as in stock but didn't ship it to me for three days.

I now have the option of an orange 650 for free from my parents upgrade (they are more than happy with an older phone and spend enough each month for it to be free). so is it really worth the extra expense over the orange one? Also is there any difference in stability?
    If I were you, I would take the free orange phone and take out an insurance (at 5 per month). If the phone is crappy, you could always return it. I have had two orange treos already. The first one kept on locking up so I returned it to orange. It took a week before the replacement arrived but its worth the wait because the second orange treo is working fine now. My next step is to upgrade to the latest firmware (1.28, released yesterday) from palm. Then after that, I will call up Orange, pay 20 to have it unlocked. So in your case, you could either pay 350 for an unlocked Treo or get the Orange unit and spend 20 to have it unlocked. It's 350 vs. 20, the choice is obvious
    Hi

Thanks for the advice I gotta admit I will probably just grab an orange treo and update the firmware to get rid of the orange stuff. I guess if I really don't get on with it I can ebay it and put it towards an unlocked one. I'm not that worried about the insurance I have had mobiles for about 8 years now and never lost or broke one. My treo 600 lives in a case and has been fine. I even bought a cheap sharp gx15 to take out with me so if i get drunk and lose/break it its only 50 quids worth of phone!

Do the orange treos have the volume problem some of the gsm treo 650s seem to have? anyone tried 1.28 does this improve things if there is a problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by aal234
    Hi
    Do the orange treos have the volume problem some of the gsm treo 650s seem to have? anyone tried 1.28 does this improve things if there is a problem?
    yes, the orange treos have the same volume problem. A lot of people who have tried the 1.28 firmware are saying that the firmware fixed the volume problem. Some are saying that it did not. Will give feedback after I flashed my treo. Planning to do it over the weekend.
  10.    #10  
    Volume is a lot louder on both flashed treo 650's, dont have to keep pressing volume up.
    Sayem

apple_power
    Powerbooks 15, 12"
    ibook 12"
    imac G5
    emac