Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know what's involved in getting an Orange UK Treo 650 unlocked by Orange? I know one or two people on the forum have successfully done this.

I gather they charge 20. What's the process and how long does it take from the time you request it, to the time you have an unlocked phone?
    I presume they supply an unlock code/instructions.

TIA
    I asked Orange and they told me that they charge 20. It would take 7 business days from the time you call the customer service line to the time you receive the unlocking code.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    If your still within contract I'm sure they will charge you for the remaining months left on the agreement too.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    If your still within contract I'm sure they will charge you for the remaining months left on the agreement too.
    they would if you decide to terminate your contract with them. Only reason why I want it unlocked is so that I can use another SIM everytime I am out of the country.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by muttdaemon
    I asked Orange and they told me that they charge 20. It would take 7 business days from the time you call the customer service line to the time you receive the unlocking code.
    7 business days!
    Is this Orange bureaucracy at work here or is there some sound technical reason why it takes so long?
    Im still waiting after about 2 weeks - I think i need to give them a call...
    it is 20.
    I paid the 20 quid and it took about 8 days
    Quote Originally Posted by imef2k
    7 business days!
    Is this Orange bureaucracy at work here or is there some sound technical reason why it takes so long?
    They probably have to get the unlock code from Palm. I think there is a unique unlock code for every IMEI number.
    I'd like to unlock my unit, but Orange told me that I would have to pre-pay the balance of my contract, even though I don't want to terminate it.

So, I t hink that I have 2 options:

1) Somehow ask the right questions/talk to the right people to get the 20 unlocking done by Orange -- feedback/thoughts on this appreciated as this is my preferred option; or,

2) Get it unlocked by someone else. Has anyone actually used an online unlocking service & if so, can you recommend a reliable company?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MediaMgl
    I'd like to unlock my unit, but Orange told me that I would have to pre-pay the balance of my contract, even though I don't want to terminate it.

1) Somehow ask the right questions/talk to the right people to get the 20 unlocking done by Orange -- feedback/thoughts on this appreciated as this is my preferred option; or,

2) Get it unlocked by someone else. Has anyone actually used an online unlocking service & if so, can you recommend a reliable company?

Thanks
    My view on point 1:

I would say that it is VERY unlikely that Orange will unlock your phone unless your contract is up. They just don't do that sort of thing under normal circumstances. The only way I could see you doing this would be if you only had a month or so left on your existing contract and if you'd spent an absolute fortune with them every month since you've had your contract.

The very fact that you want it unlocked tells Orange that you will not stay with them and that you are not loyal to them

My view on point 2:

I've not had any experience of this one, sorry!
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

11.    #11  

Thanks
    1)The previous owner of my phone had it unlocked via Orange at my request for 20. It took what seemed like ages to come thru, probably 4 weeks! He got the phone as an unwanted upgrade. He was still contracted to Orange at the time but I have no idea about his standing with them.

2) Look on ebay. There are a few sellers offering remote/unlocking for as little as 12.50. I will personaly go this route if you are in a hurry to get it unlocked.
    HTH
    Well, I successfully unlocked my Orange UK Treo 650; i was quite easy & straight-forward.

I used jtunlock, but not from their website; I purchased on eBay and paid via PayPal. Total cost = 12.50.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Well, I successfully unlocked my Orange UK Treo 650; i was quite easy & straight-forward.

I used jtunlock, but not from their website; I purchased on eBay and paid via PayPal. Total cost = 12.50.

Quite a reasonable cost I'll bear that in mind if I ever feel the need to unlock mine.

I was hoping that an unlock patch would have been released by now- similar to when the Treo 600's patch came out....

Quite a reasonable cost I'll bear that in mind if I ever feel the need to unlock mine.
    I should mention that 12.50 was the "Buy Now" price and not an auction price.

I was hoping that an unlock patch would have been released by now- similar to when the Treo 600's patch came out....
    So was I...
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    try cellularclinic.com good and reliable service. info @cellularclinic.com
    free unlocking for plam treo 600
    I used jt-unlock (ebay) too. Quick and cheap.
    In my experience Orange will keep you waiting for weeks and charge too much.

Most of the "cures" advertised on Ebay use the same software but the instructions you get can be very difficult to follow. Make a mistake and you risk losing your codes and are then asked to pay again.

After days of (expensive!) research I found a guy called the Fonedoc - advertising on Ebay - to offer the best service with simple instructions. The job was done in five minutes. All for 12 quid.

Hope this might be of use to anyone wanting to avoid the same route I took..
    Hi there, I pay to a internet company to unlock my treo 650, but unfortunately they only send me codes, but I have not a clue how to unlock it, how to power off and then try with my new sim card... can any one help me? By the way do you know if I can use it with a mexican sim card (bought treo in UK)? thanks
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I'd suggest going to the main 'Phone' screen (green button), then enter the unlock code and select dial for starters.

I assume to 'power off' means to turn the radio off. Do this by pressing and holding the red button.

As long as Mexico uses the GSM network, your UK Treo 650 should work there.

Quote Originally Posted by dittwirkung View Post
    Hi there, I pay to a internet company to unlock my treo 650, but unfortunately they only send me codes, but I have not a clue how to unlock it, how to power off and then try with my new sim card... can any one help me? By the way do you know if I can use it with a mexican sim card (bought treo in UK)? thanks
    If you have paid for the codes you should insist on getting detailed instructions.

On some phones if you enter the code incorrectly more than 5 times the codes become invalid and no code will work in future

Generally you should remove the SIM card before trying to unlock any phone. I'm sure the Treo is the same.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast