1.    #1  
    Ok, I know there's been threads all over treocentral on this...but I'm about to update and would appreciate any advide from UK users as I'm still a little nervous. I've downloaded the rom from this address:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=624683

Can anyone put my mind at ease that this is the required rom I need for the UK Orange 650 & there's been no new issues with the install since everyone updated their new 650.

I've charged my treo straight from the box (without running any of the Orange companion CD) & have a blank SD card waiting!
    Are these still the best current instructions to follow for a relative newbie to this kind of thing?? I'm using macintosh OSX if this makes any difference.
    http://mytreo.net/treofaq/Treo650ROMInstall

Thanks in advance for any words of advice...
    Last edited by MacHooligan; 06/07/2005 at 07:28 AM.
    Hi MacHooligan,
    I was really nervous as well but it was a lot easier than expected. Have you got a card reader to transfer the files to the SD card? Make sure there isn't aleady a palm folder on your card - if there is you'll have to rename it. I actually deleted all the files I had on my card before transfering the 1.23 folder.

I followed the instructions on the link above once you insert the SD card it sort of takes care of itself.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Yeah, what LozzaMac said. Looks like the right file (I got the same file from a different server, but it looks the same). Follow the mytreo.net guide and it ought to go well. I used the MMC that orange gave me (the "Try Card"). What I did was format the card using windows explorer by plugging into a card reader, which guaranteed that the card was totally blank. Then I plugged it into the Treo and formatted it again. Then sync'd an application to the card so that the /PALM/Launcher directory was created correctly. It works fine if you just create the directories on the card, but I did all this formatting because it made me feel better . Then I shoved the files there from the downloaded zip onto the MMC including all the directory structure.

Short version: Ignore me and follow the guide on mytreo.net. Use a card reader, it'll be easier.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the advice LozzaMac & Richks.

Is there anything I need on the Orange Treo Companion CD or would you just bypass it all together? I presume my 650 (after the the 1.23 FW update) will have the Docs to go & Acrobat reader apps already on it?

Thinking of purchasing 'the missing sync' for my mac also instead of using the palm hotsync software? Any experience of it?
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacHooligan

Is there anything I need on the Orange Treo Companion CD or would you just bypass it all together? I presume my 650 (after the the 1.23 FW update) will have the Docs to go & Acrobat reader apps already on it?

Thinking of purchasing 'the missing sync' for my mac also instead of using the palm hotsync software? Any experience of it?
    There is software on the companion cd which is not on the Treo: apparently more on the Windows version than the Mac cd. Docs to go is on the cd but is not the most up to date version, which you would need to get from dataviz.com.
    Missing Sync seems a little buggy to me, and has crashed several times on my MAc with OS X 10.4, but it syncs fine, and does work as a MMC/SD card reader, and you get Splash Photo for free which allows you to view JPEGs on your palm. There are also a few nice features like checking for conduit clashes. I havent used the iTunes sync, but I have used the iPhoto expert function which is fine.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

No, you'll need to install them seperately after you upgrade.

Sorry, I'm a Windows Heathen.
  7.    #7  
    Hmmm, just popped the card in & it's asking me "please select the device customizer scenario you with to run'

Under that is a thick line then the options of

'tomizer' or
    'Treo 650 release'

I presume I tap the 'Treo 650 release' option here?
    Anyone??
  8.    #8  
    After a few strange moments...It Seems to be working now!
    I use missing sync because I couldn't get palm desktop to work with my old T3 and I'm using it with my treo. I like it because of the itunes support.
    I'm also using Missing Synch/ Mac OS 10.3.9, and firmware 1.23 with no real problems. Re Apps recommend installing 'Uninstall'. Then if you get problems (like I did with Wordsmith) you issue a single command and it is deleted along with all its bits and pieces - cool!
    Witch One Witch One !!!!!!WITCH ONE ????? TOMIZER, TREO 650 RELEASE,OR THE "PWEOD" KINDA THING ? HELP I'm STUCK !
    Last edited by byronchurch; 07/13/2006 at 12:52 AM.
    Hmmm, just popped the card in & it's asking me "please select the device customizer scenario you with to run'

Under that is a thick line then the options of

'tomizer' or
    'Treo 650 release'

I presume I tap the 'Treo 650 release' option here?
    Anyone??
    Well I Opted for 'Treo 650 release' Everything seems fine I seem to have a new Voice memo app. and a new Note pad that I can't move. I wonder what's on the tomizer
    Quote Originally Posted by byronchurch
    Well I Opted for 'Treo 650 release' Everything seems fine I seem to have a new Voice memo app. and a new Note pad that I can't move. I wonder what's on the tomizer
    That sounds a bit strange, I wonder if you had the correct upgrade file.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway