1.    #1  
    Deep breath…..what I’m about to write may go on a bit, but I’ll feel a lot better afterwards!

I’ve had a Treo 600 on Orange for about 18 months and I have to say that I’ve been delighted with it. What with my experiences of the 600, having a Mac as my home computer and a history of carrying my life around on a variety of Palm devices, the decision to upgrade to a Treo 650 was pretty much a “no brainer.” That’s where my problems began, however…..

The first issue was persuading Orange that they really should sell me the 650 at a sensible price. Thanks to advice published on this forum and others, I had to resort to threatening to move to another network before the price dropped to £39.99. The phone itself arrived the following day (and involved chasing the courier around the streets, but that’s another story).

I was away on business the following day, so took the 650 with me and charged it in my hotel room before using my existing SIM card to make sure it worked okay before the full upgrade. The result - a few resets and the phone switching itself off without me noticing on one occasion, but nothing I hadn’t read about online.

The following day, I carefully read the instruction booklet and set about transferring my contacts and diary from the 600 to the 650 via a Hotsync. I backed up the 600, installed the new Palm Desktop software from the Mac CD and then performed a Hotsync on the 650. When it asked me to press the reset button, all hell broke loose; all I could get was the screen with the “PalmOne” logo and a status bar, then the “Palm Powered” screen before the keyboard would light up, flicker and then everything would go black before the first screen re-appeared. I tried a system reset, then a hard reset, but to no avail.

No problem, I thought. Judging from the Treo forums, Orange Customer Service must be having the odd call about the 650, I thought. They’ll either be able to talk me through a sneaky fix or agree an exchange, I thought. How wrong I was.

I reported the fault at 11am on May 26th and was told that the Technical Support helpdesk would be in touch. Over the next week, I must have called about 5 or 6 times, to be told each time that it can take up to 7 days for the helpdesk to get around to looking at a particular problem. I called on June 1st (day 7), to be told that I would “definitely” be called by 11am the following day or “the supervisor will upgrade the fault and it’ll be treated as a priority”.

11am on June 2nd (day 8) came and went; nothing. I called again and finally got hold of someone who sounded like they cared. He actually phoned me back an hour later to confirm what the screens were saying and told me that Technical Support were on the case and that they would be in touch. By now, I should have been less trusting, but I took his promise at face value. How foolish I was……

I called again at around 7pm, to eventually be told that Technical Support had decided that “there’s nothing wrong with the handset” and that they wouldn’t be authorising a replacement handset (although they hadn’t bothered to call me to tell me their verdict). I’m now stuck with a 650 that’s next to useless and a forty quid dent in my credit card. It could be a lot worse of course, but I have the advice I received on the Internet to thank for that, not Orange.

I have to say that I’m seriously on the verge of telling Orange where to stick their “we believe in Customer Service” and “your call is important to us” (believe me, I’ve heard those two messages a few times over the last week). The network has served me well over the years, but I’ve had it with their attitude when something goes wrong.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? The Treo 650 would fit the bill for me perfectly, if only I can breathe life back into it. I don’t want to carry a phone and a PDA, but since one of the reasons I wanted the 650 was to run a Bluetooth GPS navigation package, that’s one option. I’ve looked at the Nokia 9500 on another network, but it doesn’t look as though I’ll be able to sync it to a Mac (and transferring my existing data from the 600 looks like being a nightmare).

Help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Cymraeg

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? The Treo 650 would fit the bill for me perfectly, if only I can breathe life back into it. I don’t want to carry a phone and a PDA, but since one of the reasons I wanted the 650 was to run a Bluetooth GPS navigation package, that’s one option. I’ve looked at the Nokia 9500 on another network, but it doesn’t look as though I’ll be able to sync it to a Mac (and transferring my existing data from the 600 looks like being a nightmare).

Help!
    I believe that in the UK under 'The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended)' If a product is not `of satisfactory quality' or 'fit for purpose' you are entitled to a refund.

My advice would be to first quote that at them and try to get a replacement.
    Failing that threaten to complain to Ofcom, failing that actually complain to Ofcom. Of course I'm not a lawer so you should be taking legal advice from me, etc, etc....
    I'd echo the suggestion of the previous poster - if your handset indeed won't get past the startup screen, Orange have no justification whatsoever for refusing to repair it. Not to mention that if you can't actually use it, you're not going to be making them much money!

Call back, and if the front-line service don't help, insist on speaking to a supervisor and asking them to explain why they feel they shouldn't replace a completely unserviceable handset supplied less than a month previously. The only thing I can see that could justify their current attitude is if they claim you've broken it - and I can see nothing in your message to suggest that they have any reason to think that, given that all you did was a standard HotSync.

If you have no joy by phone, describe the situation and fax Customer Service with a complaint. I think you're justified in being fairly forceful about this - they have, as the previous poster observed, an obligation under the Sale Of Goods Act, and you are well within your rights to threaten them with (and indeed take them to) the Small Claims Court.

If that fails, the final line of attack with Orange is to contact the Executive Office - they are the ones with the authority to make most things happen, and they can bypass the front-line customer "service". The phone numbers I have for them are old, so they may not work any more, but you can try 020 7984 1886 or 0870 870 0862. The standard advice seems to be to call from a non-Orange phone (not that you are likely to be able to call them from your Treo anyway...)

You have a completely legitimate complaint - don't let the front-line support fob you off. Try and get escalated higher up the support chain - if in doubt, ask for the supervisor!

It's worth persevering, btw - the Treo 650 is a great device, especially once you take off Orange's firmware!

HTH - best of luck.
    If you want the problem solved quickly pop into an orange store on a saturday and stand around telling every customer that comes in how bad the service is. I had to threaten to do this to get an original orange SPV (now theres a buggy device) swapped out when it kept crashing and generally not doing what it was supposed to. Once they realise they will lose about 500 quids worth of business they soon play ball - even if it is only to get rid of you!
  5.    #5  
    Success!

Two more phone calls this morning:

1) The first repeated the fact that technical support had stated that there was nothing wrong with the phone and so nothing they could do. That's when I mentioned the Sale of Goods Act and my local Trading Standards. They said they'd call me back......

2) I've just got off the phone with them and they've agreed to replace the handset! They tried to talk me through the hard reset process first, and when I told them I'd been trying that for over a week, they finally admitted defeat.

One or two interesting points, though. Apparently, tech support reckoned that "...it's impossible to transfer data by doing a Hotsync..." and that the guy in tech support has a Treo 600 and hates it.

Thanks all for your advice!!

I just hope this sorry tale may help someone else in the same position......
    A minor point to note when you get your new phone.... When the 650 came out originally I seem to recollect that there was a problem doing a straight upgrade from a 600 to a 650 if you followed the instructions in the book.

I don't know if this still applies or applies if you have a Mac but it is probably worth checking just in case that partly caused your initial problems.

Edit: finally found the old reference to this problem that I was looking for...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=82027

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,Case=obj(14403)
    Last edited by soneill; 06/03/2005 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Additional Information
    Hurray for people power!!!
    I HATE ORANGE CUSTOMER SERVICES. FULL OF USELESS ASSES, THEY HAVE MANAGED TO SCREW UP MY ACCOUNT AGAIN. HOW IS IT THEY DO IT? YOU TELL THEM THEY HAVE SCREWED UP AND THE REPLY IS NO IT IS YOU, ER NO I WHAT I WNAT AND PAY FOR. I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I WISH THEY WOULD ALL DIE IN THE SLOWEST MOST PAINFUL WAY POSSABLE. THEY ARE CLUELES, USELESS TECHNICAL, IS FULL OF IDOTS, WHO RECKON ALL FAULTS ARE ACCEPTABLE. IT IS NOT A FAULT, WE KNOW ABOUT IT, SO BLOODY WHAT.

IT DOES NOT CHANGE THE FACT THAT IT IS A FAULT. Orange screwd up my premier promotion form last month and insisted it was my fault, how is it my fault? Please elaborate to me?
    Anyway I am trying to remain calm and not raise my voice. You ask for asupervisor response no, technical say it is not a fault so that is it. Where the hell are oranges customer realtion people??????????

As soon as my contract is over I am leaving orange and will never reccomend them. They were crap in 1994 and they still are 10years on now they still are.
    Sayem

apple_power
    Powerbooks 15, 12"
    ibook 12"
    imac G5
    emac
    Phones:Treo 650/600, m2000/m1000, nokia 9500,6630,3510i, 6310i and Samsung D500, V3, V600, SEp910i, p900, P800 far to many more nadeset all the way back to 1993
    Palm: T3, T5, E1, T1, T2, sonly clie ux50, Th55 and far to many others to list
    ....okay, take a deep breath. Hold it... Hold it... Just a wee bit longer. Now slowly exhale.

Seriously, I can understand your frustration, but take it easy. After all, we do need you to keep posting on this forum.