Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Bought a 650 last week. I have had to do endless sort hard and warm resets, 20 or so a day, but after a period of between 10 seconds and 2 hours, the phone freezes with a dark screen, and it cannot receive calls. This happens even if I have no personal data or software.. Orange have been really unhelpful. Customer "service" said they were unaware of any problems, and said they would contact their technical dept. Days rolled by, innumerable resets, frustrated customer.... today customer "service" texted me to contact them (phone down). Now they say that there is a serious problem with the Orange specific software that is causing these freezes, and that the problem is being seen in varying degrees on many Treo 650s. They are working on it, but have no solution as yet. They are unwilling to replace my phone in case the replacement has the same problem, and replacements cost Orange money (their words). They are still happy to take my rental though.... I suggested that I get rid of any Orange software but they said they could not support that. So, do I upgrade the firmware to 1.23? Is there a path backwards if that doesnt help as I am afraid Orange will say I have voided my warranty by changing the FW?
    My advice would be to flash on firmware 1.23 and not worry about it. I did consider backing up my Orange firmware before I did the upgrade, but JackSprat won't work on the 650, so I just went ahead. I've had three resets in 4 days, 2 down to dodgy Bluetooth connections - that's pretty much average for any Palm PDA. No lock-ups, no phone turning itself off - nothing like that.

Given Orange's almost total cluelessness, if you bought it from an Orange shop and you take it back, tell them that you "deleted the Orange application" as it was taking up memory. They are *very* unlikely to know that you have flashed the firmware unless you explicitly tell them. (Or even know what "firmware" is...) I doubt Orange themselves are much more in the know than their shops are...

Orange have a long and distinguished history of f***ing up perfectly good phones by applying their "brand" to them. In a previous job, I actually worked on a phone to be used on Orange, and their overwhelming insistence was that the branding was right - whether the phone worked or not was far less important. I'm really not surprised that the Orange launcher for the 650 is causing crashes. Take it off, put fw 1.23 on and start enjoying your Treo the way Palm meant it to be!
    I flahed my firmware mostly because everyone else is & I have no regrets. Are you using FileZ? You could try backing up the orange files to a SD card then flashing the firmware but you shouldn't be having that many resets - I didn't even b4 I flashed. I'd insist on a replacement from orange. Have you spoken to a supervisor?
    Well, I'm on my second Orange Treo650 now. First one was reset and turning the phone off randomly, but quite frequently, even after I upgraded the FW to 1.23 (on Orange's instructions).

After I upgraded the FW the phone was fine for the morning, so I thought this is great, obviously lousy Orange software was causing the problem ... then I made a 20 minute call on the phone at lunchtime and it all went downhill from there onwards.

So I called Orange in the afternoon and they dispatched a new handset to me for the next day (today).

So far so good, but I am upgrading the FW to 1.23 now (I didn't like the Orange stuff!) ... so I'll see how it goes ... I'll let you all know.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    What worries me is why is my phone so much worse than everyone elses?. If I flash the FW and the phone is still crap, then I will still be stuck, and potentially invalidate my warranty. PLEASE would someone tell me if there is a way go go back to the orange FW. Does FileZ or backupman backup/restore firmware???
    I dunno why Orange will not replace my phone when they will replace other peoples who have the same problem.
    I guess I'll just flash the FW and see what happens. I dont expect any improvement though. I am convinced there must be a hardware issue or everybodies phone would be the same...
    FileZ is a utility that allows you to view files on your palm and manage them. So you copy them or move them to an SD card its not the same as backup software as you decide what to copy and you copy files one at a time but its free.

I do think you have got a particularly faulty handset.

Interestingly in Treo 650 hardware some people in other countries are asking for the orange launcher software you might want to look at this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ghlight=orange
    took the plunge - now running on 1.23 looks lovely. glad to hear someone with the 'phone freezes with a dark screen' issue. Im on my 2nd Treo650 and have just flashed, no dark screens yet, but im infuriated that 1.23 didnt fix my mp3 skipping problem. If the treo600 found a particulally difficult mp3 to play it would stutter a little, the 650 just moves onto the next file. how many people are actually happy with their Orange UK Treo 650?

- The Core Media player seems to be the best at handling mp3s, probally due to the fact it has its own codec (and seemingly blistering SD access)
    Filez will allow you to back up the ROM files to SD card - however, it *won't* allow you to restore them, as it can read from Flash memory but not write to it. I spent some time looking for a ROM backup solution before flashing my firmware. I went so far as to buy a license for JackSprat, from Brayder Software, which does allow you to backup and restore ROMs, but it doesn't work on the 650 (as I only discovered *after* I paid for it...)

The bottom line as far as I am concerned is that I couldn't find a way of backing up and restoring the ROM on the 650 - it is certainly possible in theory, but there doesn't at present seem to be an easy way of doing it.

I'd still recommend not worrying about it and flashing the new firmware anyway - if it doesn't fix your problems, your handset is definitely faulty, and you should have no qualms about taking it back to Orange and pleading ignorance of anything to do with this word "firmware"... It seems that Orange online send out a new handset and pick the old one up at the same time, so they wouldn't even know about the firmware, and I *really* doubt the muppets who work in most Orange shops would have a clue that you'd done anything to your handset anyway!
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    OK Just changed to 1.23. I see now why people prefer the original palm screen. I doubt it will solve my problems but who knows? I'll post again tomorrow...
    I flashed my Orange Treo a couple of days after getting it. Since then I have made 100's of calls, some more than 1 hr long (my bill is always over £500) and I haven't had a single problem. When I had the Orange firmware on it would reset frequently and quite often the phone part would stop taking calls, even though it had full reception and so on.

How about a new marketing tag line for Palm/Orange UK:

'Just flash it.'
    Quote Originally Posted by hampsoc
    I flashed my Orange Treo a couple of days after getting it. Since then I have made 100's of calls, some more than 1 hr long (my bill is always over £500) and I haven't had a single problem. When I had the Orange firmware on it would reset frequently and quite often the phone part would stop taking calls, even though it had full reception and so on.

How about a new marketing tag line for Palm/Orange UK:

'Just flash it.'
    Interestingly I get similar with my 600, full signal but no calls or SMS. With my earlier handset I flashed it and this problem went away, I'm holding off doing this on this one as I want to sell it in 'virgin' condition when I upgrade to the 650 (our local orange rep says it will be available on our corporate scheme next week - hurah!)
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    OK so I took the plunge and flashed to1.23. I can see why the orange launcher is unpopular - an issue of form over function, and I prefer the palm screen for its easy functionality. BUT there was no improvement in my phone which still freezes. So I phoned Orange customer "support" again. They told me they would refer it to technical again and I would have to wait another 1-7 days for a reply. Got a bit cross then, and insisted on talking to a supervisor. Was told I would have to talk to a "coach" first. Waited......finally the same guy came back and said the coach spoke to technical "support" and they have arranged to send me a new Treo. Phew! But what a lousy way to treat a customer who has been with Orange since the Hutchison Telecom days with 4 Orange handsets on the go in the family!!!! Now for the free bluetooth headset.....
    Hurray at last a result. Hope you new handset is in full working order.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Agreed: Your handset is buggered. The new one should be better.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I have been made to understand that there is no point being a pessimist BUT.. what happens if the replacement is crap too??????
    Quote Originally Posted by spl23
    My advice would be to flash on firmware 1.23 and not worry about it. I did consider backing up my Orange firmware before I did the upgrade, but JackSprat won't work on the 650, so I just went ahead.
    I dont recall any of the Jack software ever working on a 600 or 650.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    I have had the same problem with the phone freezing on a black screen. I followed the advice here and upgraded to 1.23 and lost the orange stuff but still had the same problem again! So I also phoned orange and they are sending me a new handset. Hope this one works. It might have just been a dodgy batch. Other thing which is different on the Treo 650 from the Treo 600 which is the phone I have been using for the last 18 months is that you canít get you To do list / tasks at the top of you day view in the calendar which I found really useful. Any idea if I can get his back. I know you can do something similar in the agenda view but it is not quite as good. Thanks for all you posting it is nice to know that there are others out there with the same problems.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    YEAY I got my new treo 650 today. Flashed it to 1.23 immediately and it has worked all day with no freezes at all! Now to sync my data which I think I will do from cold, so I have no danger of getting any Orange junk back. In conclusion it seems that there are 2 issues with the freeze/black screen thing: one is a Palm hardware issue, affecting a proportion of handsets; and the other is related to buggy software from Orange, which Orange have now admitted. The combination of the 2 issues together is particularly lethal. My problem improved after the 1.23 FW upgrade but did not go away untill I had a new machine. Thanks everybody here for your support and help...
    Quote Originally Posted by IanRow
    ....... I that you canít get you To do list / tasks at the top of you day view in the calendar which I found really useful. Any idea if I can get his back. I know you can do something similar in the agenda view but it is not quite as good.
    Upgrade to DateBk5, you will find it does what you want and 100's of other things as well.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Thanks for everyones help I look forward to getting my new phone tomorrow. I will have to get Datebk5 thanks for the advice.

I will let you know how I get on.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast