Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1.    #1  
    I'm using an Orange T650, still on 1.21 with all the Orange "extras".

    My old VFS card backup app from my T600 days has not been updated for the T650, so I thought I would test Backupbuddy VFS Pro and Backupman.

    Backupbuddy seems to backup OK, but it crashes at about only 5% of a full restore despite all my different trials, see below.

    I then tried Backupman. Once again it seemed to backup OK, but this time fell over at about 90% restored. As suggested on their website I made sure the Radio was off first. I then tried doing a Warm Reset and doing a full restore while the Treo was in "safe" mode. This cured the problem and I got a full restore.

    Backupbuddy does not seem to restore fully for me, even in "safe" mode.

    So my question here is:

    How have others got on with these programs with an Orange 650?

    I'm sure that Backupbuddy should work OK, so is my handset faulty or is it the Orange 1.21 version that's the problem.

    I don't want to try 1.23 at this stage in case I decide to get a replacement from Orange.

    But at the same time I don't want to risk getting a replacement from Orange if the next one will be the same, but might have other build quality problems.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  2. #2  
    Hi Chas, I use backupbuddy at work and it works just fine for both my T5 and 650 but haven't tried a full restore from it yet. I use backupman at home and have done a full restore from card on it which worked 100%. Mind you, being wary of the new memory system on the T5 and now the 650 I have kept to a minimum the amount of 3rd party apps installed on the latter.
  3.    #3  
    The plot thickens.

    I did a hard reset and then used Backupman to create a "clean" backup.

    I then restored a previous backup and I was back to my normal setup.

    I then restored my "clean" backup and although it went OK, when my Palm restarted all my old apps were still there.

    ie it had restored all the files in the "clean" backup, but it had not deleted the old files first ?

    I assumed that "restore device" means just that, and not just "added backed up files to what's there already"

    I still don't know if this is normal T650 behavour, or if mine has some memory problem.

    Anyone else actually tried to use a backup from a VFS card?
    It is the 1st rule of having a safe backup system
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    I assumed that "restore device" means just that, and not just "added backed up files to what's there already"
    Nope. When you backup to the card, you're not backing up an image of your device's RAM, you're backing up individual files, which can be restored singly or en mass. Likewise, when you restore, you are restoring individual files, one at a time; if any files of the same name are in RAM when you restore, they will be overwritten (if you choose) - files with no corresponding RAM twin will simply be copied to RAM. If you want a particular backup group to be the only collection in RAM, you'll have to perform a hard reset first, wiping your RAM clean (I just had a sheep-farming image flash in my brain ), before you restore that group.
  5. Hicks's Avatar
    Posts
    936 Posts
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    #5  
    I still find my Treo 650 very unstable. Probably have 3 or more resets per day at the moment. Can't figure out the culprit as yet.

    Backupman seems to reset the device straight after a backup (presume this is due to the new NVFS memory- anybody else experience this?). Then when the Palm shield appears FacerPro asks whether or not it should be set as the default launcher; and it stays like that until I notice. So, basically as I backup at 02:00 my radio is switched off until I confirm the launcher status. This is frustrating as FacerPro has an option to set the launcher as default after a reset- yet it still asks when the Treo re-boots.

    Well, I've emailed Bits n Bolts (Backupman) and FacerPro to try and fix it.......
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

    Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  6. pdadoc's Avatar
    Posts
    407 Posts
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    #6  
    I just upgraded from a 600 to 650 (verizon), and trying both Cardbackup and Backupman, there are problems. Cardbackup gives some errors and backupman soft resets after backing up (as noted above). More importantly, I've noticed that the backup is NOT complete. I messed up my ToDo db, and found that neither program had copied that db to the card. I note the address db is also not backed up, so I suspect these apps are just not backing up palm dbs. In fact, I just looked at the prefs in Cardbackup, and address db is checked to not backup. When I try to uncheck it, it won't let me. This backed up fine on the 600.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc
    More importantly, I've noticed that the backup is NOT complete. I messed up my ToDo db, and found that neither program had copied that db to the card. I note the address db is also not backed up, so I suspect these apps are just not backing up palm dbs. In fact, I just looked at the prefs in Cardbackup, and address db is checked to not backup. When I try to uncheck it, it won't let me. This backed up fine on the 600.
    DatebookDB, AddressDB, ToDoDB and MemoDB were backed up on the 600 because the 600 didn't use the new PIMs (Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and Memos). The 650 uses the new PIMs and creates the old databases automatically from the new ones (so that older 3rd party applications that depend on the old databases will still work) after a hotsync or a soft reset; therefore, it's only necessary that your backup app pay attention to the new PIM databases.
  8. Hicks's Avatar
    Posts
    936 Posts
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc
    I just upgraded from a 600 to 650 (verizon), and trying both Cardbackup and Backupman, there are problems. Cardbackup gives some errors and backupman soft resets after backing up (as noted above). More importantly, I've noticed that the backup is NOT complete. I messed up my ToDo db, and found that neither program had copied that db to the card. I note the address db is also not backed up, so I suspect these apps are just not backing up palm dbs. In fact, I just looked at the prefs in Cardbackup, and address db is checked to not backup. When I try to uncheck it, it won't let me. This backed up fine on the 600.
    Ha Ha! I noticed that my to do db was corrupt when I upgraded to the Treo 650 too. Luckily I just beamed it across from my Treo 600......
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

    Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  9.    #9  
    I think that to get a fully "good" backup you need to make your backup while in "safe" mode, ie after a warm reset.

    I know this means you can not do a scheduled backup, but that seems to be the limitation of NVFS memory at the moment
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gamble
    Nope. When you backup to the card, you're not backing up an image of your device's RAM, you're backing up individual files, which can be restored singly or en mass.
    Cheers that explains it
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I still find my Treo 650 very unstable. Probably have 3 or more resets per day at the moment. Can't figure out the culprit as yet.
    Do you get the problem of the sound not working every now & then ? Turning off and then back on cures it.

    Do you also get the occational slowing down which needs a soft reset to solve ?
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway

Posting Permissions