Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I currently have a Sprint Treo 650 in the US. In August I am moving to London for 2 years.

Do people recommend buying an unlocked 650 before I leave, or buying an Orange one when I get there or what?

Thanks,
    Lou
    You may find it difficult to get a 'pay monthly' contract on Orange when you arrive, unless you have sufficient proof of address (they tend to want 3 years history).

I was able to use a relative's address and was fortunate enough to have held a UK bank account for a few years prior to moving -- getting a phone on pay monthly requires a credit check.
  3.    #3  
    I've accepted my offer and pending a work permit I will be moving to London to start work in August.

Now, I just have to figure out how to wade through all this paperwork.
    I moved over to London 3 years ago from NYC, USA. The bank account/credit thing can be difficult unless your company can give you a reference for a bank (usually the one they do business with). I was able to open a bank account w/NatWest on my first day in the country w/ a letter from my company. Everything else false into line once you get a few bills/statements sent to your address.

Other friends have avoided any problems by having their home branch of international banks (HSBC, CitiBank, etc...) set things up for them before they got over. Though I think you need to be "good" customer to afford that kind of treatment.

London's great. I'll leave you w/ an insider tip - when you hit UK immigration (not the first time on your visa) and there's a major line up (cue) for the non-EU passports and no line in the UK non EU line you can wlak over to the EU/UK agents and nicely let them know you're a Uk resident on a work permit and 9 our 10 times you'll save yourself the headache of waiting.
  5.    #5  
    Bump..
    just received my treo 650 from expansys.com, 120 with 12-month (30/month) vodafone account. but the best deals seem to be at www.phones2udirect.co.uk with O2 account (more free minutes, cheaper text/call rates). you get an unlocked GSM phone and the sim card. they will check your credit, bank account details before selling you a mobile contract (i've only been here 7 months, that was enough time it seems). but once you get that sorted, i think the deals are better here in the UK.
    thanks, so helpful.
    got mine from www.mobiles.co.uk for 99 on a 30 per month tariff.
    Just curious, has anyone who got their Treo in UK, found similar restrictions like US carriers do ?

Cheers,
    Max
    Looking for the Famous Co-op Network? Here is the link! - Read the FAQ!
    What kind of restrictions? Phone is unlocked and though the contract is 12 months, i'm told i can change the plan (get a cheaper one with less free minutes) after 3 months.
    Another thing to consider would be the charger. If you get one here you'll have to get a plug adapter to use over there (the charge does work at 220 v so you don't need a converter though).
    Quote Originally Posted by geneld
    Another thing to consider would be the charger. If you get one here you'll have to get a plug adapter to use over there (the charge does work at 220 v so you don't need a converter though).
    My charger came with removable prongs, UK one was attached. But I also got the European, North American/Japanese, and Australian/NZ prongs. So you get a worldwide set here.
    Quote Originally Posted by molala
    My charger came with removable prongs, UK one was attached. But I also got the European, North American/Japanese, and Australian/NZ prongs. So you get a worldwide set here.
    Same here. I use the set quite often on my travels. It was a suprise great accessory! I had to buy the worldwide travel kit when I bought my ipod.
  14.    #14  
    i fly out saturday. ONly a few more days left in nyc
    Quote Originally Posted by muttdaemon
    got mine from www.mobiles.co.uk for 99 on a 30 per month tariff.
    When you buy an Orange contract from them, do you get an unlocked Treo 650 or an Orange one?

Just returned my 650 to Expansys (faulty T/3 key) and they're currently out of stock.
  16.    #16  
    Hmm.. so have we decided what the cheapest method was? I am also looking for cheap calls to the US although I will prob use a land line for most of those.
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisW
    Hmm.. so have we decided what the cheapest method was? I am also looking for cheap calls to the US although I will prob use a land line for most of those.
    I ended up getting one from thelink.com (129 phone with 30/mo. 1 year contract with O2), takes 1 week for them to process an order. I prefer the customer service I got with Expansys (but they were out of stock of the treo that week). But The Link is also a good store.

I tried emailing and calling mobiles.co.uk for info on their Orange treo, but they never replied to emails and their customer service lines were busy. If you ever run into problems (defective Treo or problems with your mobile connection), you'll be stuck. I say stick with The Link or Expansys.

To get a mobile contract, you really need a bank account first (because payment is collected by direct debit). Not sure they will approve you without some credit history, but you can always offer a deposit (like the first half year or full year of the contract). As for calling the US from a landline, check out telediscount.co.uk. 2p/min.

Welcome to the UK .
    Quote Originally Posted by molala
    When you buy an Orange contract from them, do you get an unlocked Treo 650 or an Orange one?

Just returned my 650 to Expansys (faulty T/3 key) and they're currently out of stock.
    Orange Treo.
    You can always buy a sim card for 4.99 and purchase a treo via ebay?
    I did, brand new cost 350 and I've re registred it with palm and still have nearly 2 years cover on it
  20.    #20  
    Ok.. so here is my latest summary-

Orange has cheapest data rates but the phone is locked.

What plan do people use? I am afraid I will use too much data as I had a sprint phone with unlimited data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast