View Poll Results: If you were to purchase the Treo 650 handset again, which incarnation would you get?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Orange Network "branded" (customised) handset

1 33.33%
  • PalmOne unlocked Treo 650 handset

2 66.67%
  • Would not get another Treo 650 after this experience

0 0%
  1.    #1  
    The main reasons that I would go with Orange are for the phone insurance and the cheaper data tariff (as opposed to Vodafone).

If the Orange branding is lame and I decide to remove it (via ROM flash), then presumably, I would void the insurance terms.

If you were to purchase the Treo 650 handset again, which incarnation would you get?
    Yes, you would void the insurance by flashing the pda, however you can back up the existing rom, and thus if all goes wrong simply reflash back to the old rom.

I had an unlocked treo 600, younger brother has an orange branded one. Mine was white and loked nicer then his darker orange one. But he flashed his so it was never an issue. Also I could use my old 3g sim with it, always a plus.
    Sayem

apple_power
    Powerbooks 15, 12"
    ibook 12"
    imac G5
    emac
    Phones:Treo 650/600, m2000/m1000, nokia 9500,6630,3510i, 6310i and Samsung D500, V3, V600, SEp910i, p900, P800 far to many more nadeset all the way back to 1993
    Palm: T3, T5, E1, T1, T2, sonly clie ux50, Th55 and far to many others to list
    I had an email from palmone yesterday telling me that as from 23/05 it was available on their website but costs 489. Orange subsidies sure make it more attractive. I shall have to reserve judgement about the annoying orange software until I actually get my handset.
    That is a fair point, I have the oppurtunity to get it for 374 tax free, and unlocked. But on the other hand on the orange contract it will cost me 330. This is not that much difernt, howver you pay slowly and can use the free minutes. Better half would kill me, if I bought another phone simfree. I have been known to have very little limits in buying mobiles in the past. So for free I reckon yep, I could live with the orange gui.
    Sayem

apple_power
    Powerbooks 15, 12"
    ibook 12"
    imac G5
    emac
    Phones:Treo 650/600, m2000/m1000, nokia 9500,6630,3510i, 6310i and Samsung D500, V3, V600, SEp910i, p900, P800 far to many more nadeset all the way back to 1993
    Palm: T3, T5, E1, T1, T2, sonly clie ux50, Th55 and far to many others to list
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MediaMgl
    If the Orange branding is lame and I decide to remove it (via ROM flash), then presumably, I would void the insurance terms.
    Probably, yes, but when my flashed Treo 600 died after being dropped, Orange replaced it with neer a mention of the fact that it had updated firmware. If it ever comes up, deny all knowledge of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by apple_power
    Yes, you would void the insurance by flashing the pda, however you can back up the existing rom, and thus if all goes wrong simply reflash back to the old rom.
    How do you back up the existing ROM? Is there an application that can do this for you?
    I've had the same experience as Richks - in fact, all five Treo 600s I've had replaced (three faulty, two damaged) have had some sort of non-Orange flashed firmware on, with no kind of comeback from Orange.
    Well I think the price differential makes Orange worthwhile. I'm waiting to receive my orange phone (it's in the post office as i type), 99 on a 30 per month tarrif. Thats a lot cheaper than 400 on dabs!

I'm happy to pay that much less and have a little branding
  9.    #9  
    So, I decided to go with the Orange handset. Basically, it came down to having a place to physically go, should I encounter any "issues".

Since I signed up for the Premere plan, the handset was 99.99, but off-set by 50 from trading in an old handset and 50 by using a 'friend refferal' card -- virtually, a free handset.