Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Just keep phoning orange and badgering people and get angry until you get them to send you a new one. Understand that the problem you have is this:

The guy you talk to at orange is bored and just wants to go home. Working in a callcentre sucks. He or she has zero job satisfaction and just wants an easy life. getting you to go away means they do no work. Booking you for a replacement handset means filling in a bunch of forms. So they will do everything in their power to get you to just bugger off and that includes lying and making stuff up.

So to get around this you have to speak to their manager. Threaten if you have to. Don't just accept their shoddy service, you're bloody paying them!
    Sorry for the off topic post, but would any of you know where I can buy the
    TreoCentral P6 Pouch Case for Treo 600/650 in the UK? Buying direct from treocentral costs more because of the shipping charge. Expansys does not sell this product.
    Had my first real problem with the 650 - it was continually resetting .

Turns out my memo pad file was corrupt.
    I deleted it with Filez as it was 4MB -much larger than it should be.

All is now fine.
    Out of interest, what line of thought helped you work out that it was the memo pad file that was at fault.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Richks
    Get a card reader and copy everything from the old SD card to your hard drive. Just drag everything from the root directory of the card in windows explorer (or your OS of choice's analogy). Then copy it onto the new card using the same method. You might want to format the new card in you Treo first.

Easy peasy.

No idea how you'd do it without a card reader (Card Export/Blue Files maybe?) but if you've bought a 512 Mb card, you're going to want a card reader anyway!
    thanks for your help
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by murrayalex
    I've just bought a 512mb card for the treo to replace the 64mb card in it already. Can someone advise me the best / easiest way to get the stuff from the 64 card onto the 512 card, I just can't think how to do it !!
    Ha, I'm expecting delivery of mine tomorrow too!
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by muttdaemon
    Will flashing with a custom ROM void the phone's warranty/insurance?
    Not too sure on this one. I flashed my first treo 650 with FW 1.23 and it went back to Orange last week. I'm hoping that I will have no come back. I know that the Treo 600 handset was not repaired in the UK. If a warrantee issue came up A Novo (Handspring Repair Centre) just swapped the unit with a new one. I suppose that the Treo 650 is handled in the same way.

I changed my handset language to Italian just before Orange arranged collection- just to confuse them a little so they didn't look too close at the ROM! Not too sure if this helps but I'm sure it wont hurt!
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Not too sure on this one. I flashed my first treo 650 with FW 1.23 and it went back to Orange last week. I'm hoping that I will have no come back.
    is this possible? wouldn't the custom ROM overwrite the one that was installed by Orange hence a hard reset would show the FW 1.23? Or will the custom ROM be placed in another memory location leaving the Orange ROM where it used to be?
    Last edited by muttdaemon; 06/08/2005 at 02:49 AM.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    is this possible? wouldn't the custom ROM overwrite the one that was installed by Orange hence a hard reset would show the FW 1.23? Or will the custom ROM be placed in another memory location leaving the Orange ROM where it used to be?
    He means that the phone was returned for replacement, not that the Orange software came back.

I had to send my first Treo 600 back when I dropped it and the earpiece stopped working. That had flashed firmware to whatever the latest version was and they didn't bat an eyelid.

Personally I don't think Orange have the expertise to investigate Treo faults. I think they just pass them all back to palm1.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    Out of interest, what line of thought helped you work out that it was the memo pad file that was at fault.
    I checked to see if the new application I installed was causing the reset so used Filez to check available memory.

Going through the file list I found the memo pad was WAY too big, so I deleted it.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    He means that the phone was returned for replacement, not that the Orange software came back.

I had to send my first Treo 600 back when I dropped it and the earpiece stopped working. That had flashed firmware to whatever the latest version was and they didn't bat an eyelid.

Personally I don't think Orange have the expertise to investigate Treo faults. I think they just pass them all back to palm1.
    Thanks for clarifying

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

I called up orange and they told me that their tech guys will work on it and will give me a call between 1 to 7 working days. I called up the store where I got the unit from and they told me that they could not replace the phone until Orange gives me a "fault code". Orange would not give me a "fault code" until their tech guys have checked the problem.

This is SO irritating. Orange know very well that there is a problem with 650s freezing. In my experience flashing to 1.23 improves but does not cure the problem. It took me 6 days before they would send me a new one, which has worked perfectly. Demand to speak to a team leader. Threaten trading standards, consumer law, Watchdog. THEY KNOW ABOUT THIS PROBLEM!. Be polite, firm and do not take no for an answer!
    I am on my second phone now - have been for the last 5 days.

I left it on the Orange original FW for the first day and it seemed ok, certainly better than my first handset where the phone was switching off every 10 seconds/10 minutes/couple of hours. But it still rebooted a couple of times during the day.

I have now upgraded to 1.23 and it seems a little bit better. I get about 1 reboot a day and maybe a couple of freezes. It is by no means perfect, but it is usable.

It is very annoying that they release these things with *known* errors, as there is little incentive for them to resolve these issues. They probably think People will just put up with it.

Trouble is, in my opinion, it is the best phone on the market and I will, probably, put up with it - although if it gets much worse I will send it back.

Maybe 1.25 will be more stable?! Or 1.30? Or even 2.0???
    my treo 650 (orange) locks up when I don't use it for an hour. I have already reported this to Orange and they told me that their technical guys are trying to simulate the problem and should get back to me in a couple of days. I am itching to do a ROM upgrade (1.23 or 1.25) but is worried that I could lose service warranty when they find out that I am using a custom ROM. I got this unit from mobiles.co.uk under orange's tariffs. Do you think I should do the ROM upgrade now or should I wait for the new unit to arrive before I do a ROM upgrade?
    I purposely discharged the phone battery and left it uncharged overnight. Then this morning, I charged it and waited until I see the green light before I turned on the phone and used it. It is not freezing or locking up for about four hours now. I have been observing the phone by not touching it for 1 hour and 15 minutes then checking if it locks up. So far it hasn't. I will post again tomorrow to inform you whether it locked up. I am sure it will because I can't think of an explanation as to why draining and recharging the battery would solve the problem that I have with my treo 650.
  15.    #175  
    My phone was working fine apart from some problems with card export. Then it started playing up - not connecting to phone network, continuingly reseting itself.

So I did a hard reset and the phone worked again - all be it with no contacts. So I started adding software bit by bit. Until it went wrong again after I installed card export. I did a hard reset and loaded everything except card export and it went wrong again.

Much as I would like to get orange to send me another phone, my experiences seem to suggest getting a new phone may not solve the problem. What do people think? If the phone works OK when it has only minimal software doesn't that suggest its not a phone problem.

I have another Treo 650 I bought for my wife. Which has the same hotsync ID and works fine. I don't think I've used card export with it. Can I do something with this phone to diagnose what the problem is?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Wacky.

I've been using BlueFiles, which is rather neat but a bit more of a gimmick than actually useful. I installed the Cardexport trial version this morning and havent used it much, but it appears to be stable so far.

I built a custom rom last night with Snappermail instead of Versa, Snapcalc instead of the regular calculator and no tutorials, no realplayer or non-english stuff. No memo pad or To Do list. I added Adobe reader, zlauncher, Bluefiles, Plucker and a few other things and so far so good. Lots of empty space (about 14.5 Meg). I haven't looked too deeply into what's in ROM and what's in RAM yet, but it appears that everything is in ROM as far as I can tell.

The process was rather nerve wracking, I can tell you!
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Wacky.

I've been using BlueFiles, which is rather neat but a bit more of a gimmick than actually useful. I installed the Cardexport trial version this morning and havent used it much, but it appears to be stable so far.

I built a custom rom last night with Snappermail instead of Versa, Snapcalc instead of the regular calculator and no tutorials, no realplayer or non-english stuff. No memo pad or To Do list. I added Adobe reader, zlauncher, Bluefiles, Plucker and a few other things and so far so good. Lots of empty space (about 14.5 Meg). I haven't looked too deeply into what's in ROM and what's in RAM yet, but it appears that everything is in ROM as far as I can tell.

The process was rather nerve wracking, I can tell you!
    You've got more bottle than me!

did you use shadowmite's custom rom instructions Rich??
    After falling out with Orange several times, and cancelling one contract. I am now on my third Treo which I received today. The in call volume on this unit is much better. I can't comment on it's stability as I have yet to install anything or even sync. So far so good, even the Orange customer service person I spoke to was pleasant and helpful. I suppose something had to go wrong. The backlight on the keyboard seems a little off and the spacebar and return keys are only half lit. Perhaps I'm being too particular but it's really bugging me. I'm happy to compromise though if this one turns out to be stable.
    I cancelled my existing contract with Orange this morning after my phone locked up again. However, I signed up again to hopefully get a better unit. It's faster to cancel and re-apply than wait for Orange to give me a "fault code".
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast