Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Yep, I too had a recurrent reset issue - that horrid one that loses all your registrations. Went through preferences carefully deleting records for deleted software. Two days (and counting) later no resets at all.

Several apps useful for this - cleanup, prefed, filez. Cleanup lets you search for programs which might be using preferences and then mark creator IDs as "safe".

Documents-to-go left many stray preference records but not necessarily to blame.

Warning - deleting records in preferences is not for the faint-hearted. It's often guess work - like I assumed any creator ID starting hs was a system one. Is there a decent list of creator IDs anywhere?
    http://home.vr-web.de/~jSwi/Katalog/index.html

there you go !! - list of updated creator ID's
    Excellent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Holy- this is a very common issue caused by 3rd party software. Few ways to deal with it: 1. find and install 3rd party find/ search software (sorry am posting from my treo and can't remember developer- try PalmGear). 2.Methodically delete 3rd party apps one at a time (perform a search after each deletion) until the culprit is found.

Hope this helps (PS I had this happen to me once & it was Docs to Go)...
    Thanks Hicks

having tried a hard reset (no change), I deleted Wordsmith using Uninstall (turns out that this was the problem, although I had installed the latest version). I also installed FindWiz and I now have a fully working supergeek-whizz-bang find utility with more bells and whistles than you could shake a stick at.
    I have been using my new Orange 650 for a week now, and I have a few shortcuts which seem to get round the issues users have mentioned with the Orange launcher. Some of them are mentioned earlier in the thread, but I thought it might be helpful to group them together.

I am not saying the Orange launcher is better or worse than the palm launcher (not having tried the palm launcher - never had a treo before). Just that I don't think its as unusable as some people have suggested, I have had no problems with it yet.

I am assuming you start from the launcher for each of these shortcuts (just press the green key to get there).

1. To dial a recently dialled number, press the green key once - you then get a list of the last numbers used (either dialled or who called you).
    2. To dial someone by pressing keys, go to contacts (press centre button twice, or I have remapped the envelope key to go straight to contacts), and then type their name. First letter of first name and then surname works best, normally it only takes me three key strokes to find the right person.
    3. To dial a number on the dial pad, just press any dark blue number key from the launcher.
    4. To go to favourites, just press any white letter key from the launcher.

I hope that's helpful to anyone who hasn't already flashed to 1.23!

Luke
    Very helpful Luke, I had missed the "press Centre twice" trick
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rhys24
    just a little snag, but does anyone else orange palm flashed fireware, when on the phone, it just keeps saying network search, never just says orange, although it is connected to the orange network.
    Actually, I've spotted that on mine, and I haven't flashed it (yet). Had it for a few weeks and it is one of those little annoying things.... And I can't get happy with the orange launcher, but want to wait for any more feedback on 1.23

Speaking of which, any more feedback on 1.23. Anyone experienced any severe issues, or is it fairly safe?
    =============================
    play back this tape, I swear you'll see
    i only wanted you to be with me
    kill the last romantic
    then come back for me
    i have moved from orange to 1.23 and can say that after a few hours 1.23 seems much better. Phone goes into contacts immediately (2 presses on phone) and for me essential, the SMS (messaging applications) cleans phone numbers of () and letters which i find really essential because i enter many phone numbers with explanations of what they are.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Luke,

I'm not saying you're wrong for tollerating the Orange "Launcher"*, but here's a comparison between the Orange and Palm phone apps:

Quote Originally Posted by lte1000
    I am assuming you start from the launcher for each of these shortcuts (just press the green key to get there).

1. To dial a recently dialled number, press the green key once - you then get a list of the last numbers used (either dialled or who called you).
    Same

2. To dial someone by pressing keys, go to contacts (press centre button twice, or I have remapped the envelope key to go straight to contacts), and then type their name. First letter of first name and then surname works best, normally it only takes me three key strokes to find the right person.
    Simply start typing their name. Cuts out the "press centre button twice".

3. To dial a number on the dial pad, just press any dark blue number key from the launcher.
    Simply start dialing on the screen

4. To go to favourites, just press any white letter key from the launcher.
    The top 2 or 4 favourites from the first page appear on the phone frontscreen. Press down on the d-pad to get to the rest of the first page.

I hope that's helpful to anyone who hasn't already flashed to 1.23!

Rich

* Although, y'know, you are
    I've just bought a 512mb card for the treo to replace the 64mb card in it already. Can someone advise me the best / easiest way to get the stuff from the 64 card onto the 512 card, I just can't think how to do it !!
    my treo 650 (orange) locks up when I don't use it for an hour. I have already reported this to Orange and they told me that their technical guys are trying to simulate the problem and should get back to me in a couple of days. I am itching to do a ROM upgrade (1.23 or 1.25) but is worried that I could lose service warranty when they find out that I am using a custom ROM. I got this unit from mobiles.co.uk under orange's tariffs. Do you think I should do the ROM upgrade now or should I wait for the new unit to arrive before I do a ROM upgrade?
    is there a way to backup the ROM that came with my phone so that I can restore it should the custom ROM did not solve the lock up problem I am having?
    Quote Originally Posted by muttdaemon
    my treo 650 (orange) locks up when I don't use it for an hour.
    Do a hard reset, after backing up all your data, and then use the 650 for a day or two with only the standard applications. If it still locks up you need a new unit as it's faulty. If it does not lock up then you have a conflict with your new software.

I'm on my 2nd unit and it has not reset for almost a week now, touch wood, so a 650 should be rock solid once you get a good one.
    Thought of the day :
    I have done a hard reset yesterday and it still locks up.
    is there a way to backup the ROM that came with my phone so that I can restore it should the custom ROM did not solve the lock up problem I am having?
    So far I've not heard of anyway of doing it, quite a few people have asked the same question.

However I have read threads of people who have problems with Orange 650's, flashed to 1.23 and the problem is still there.

The bottom line is, if the problem is a handset problem then flashing will not solve it.

1.21 that all the Orange phones have, sorted most of the problems and 1.23 is just a bit better, plus it does not have the Orange bits.
    Thought of the day :
    I have done a hard reset yesterday and it still locks up.
    If it still locks up and you have not put any non Orange software on it then the problem is a handset one. But if you have hotsync'ed some of your old data over you may have imported the problem. You need to hard reset and then do a 100% clean hotsync to be sure. Try a new user name for a while.

The Orange "technical guys" are well know for taking a long time to come to any decission. If the phone is faulty then you should have a new one Full Stop
    Thought of the day :
    Will flashing with a custom ROM void the phone's warranty/insurance?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    I'm on my 2nd unit and it has not reset for almost a week now, touch wood, so a 650 should be rock solid once you get a good one.
    ChasT has hit the nail on the head here.

Move your hotsync data and hard reset. Don't restore/backup anything and don't add any apps beyond what's in the ROM. Run it for a day or 2 and if you still have a problem, you have a dud handset which needs to be replaced. Badger Orange, talk to managers and team leaders until they send you a new one.

Treo 650 is a solid, stable machine. If your's isn't then it's defective and needs to be replaced.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by murrayalex
    I've just bought a 512mb card for the treo to replace the 64mb card in it already. Can someone advise me the best / easiest way to get the stuff from the 64 card onto the 512 card, I just can't think how to do it !!
    Get a card reader and copy everything from the old SD card to your hard drive. Just drag everything from the root directory of the card in windows explorer (or your OS of choice's analogy). Then copy it onto the new card using the same method. You might want to format the new card in you Treo first.

Easy peasy.

No idea how you'd do it without a card reader (Card Export/Blue Files maybe?) but if you've bought a 512 Mb card, you're going to want a card reader anyway!
    I have already hard reset the unit yesterday. To really isolate the problem, I did not hotsynch the treo to my computer. It was in the same condition as when I received it last week from the post.

I called up orange and they told me that their tech guys will work on it and will give me a call between 1 to 7 working days. I called up the store where I got the unit from and they told me that they could not replace the phone until Orange gives me a "fault code". Orange would not give me a "fault code" until their tech guys have checked the problem. SO there, I guess I will have to prepare myself to itch for 7 business days. I waited several months for the treo to be released here in the Uk so what's 7 more business days
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast