Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate
    I got my Treo 650 on Friday during a bout of food poisoning - I like to think it helped in my recovery.

The only problem I had was trying to install an MP3 onto the (formatted) try card. No matter what I did it just stayed in the Palm installer window and didn't hotsync accross with everything else. After much fooling around I found out why - the filename can't be overly long otherwise it won't be accepted onto the card. That'll teach me to choose "Kings of Convenience - I Don't Know What I can Save You From (Royksopp Remix).mp3" as my experimental file!

It's a shame there was no message telling me why the file didn't sync. Is this a drawback to all MMC/SD cards or just the Palm software?

ps. this is my first ever mobile phone. Is that wierd or admirable?
    It's just the Palm software AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $I$ $remember$ $having$ $the$ $same$ $issue$, $If$ $I$ $remember$ $correctly$ $I$ $put$ $my$ $MP3$ $files$ $on$ $the$ $desktop$ $or$ $something$ $to$ $give$ $it$ $a$ $shorter$ $file$ $path$.

I suppose it is kinda weird- but I bet you've saved a fortune over the years by not having one
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    rhys24 - if you look under Treo 650 hardware there is a thread there about wifi and the gsm version.
    Quote Originally Posted by spl23
    My only niggle is that the touchscreen on mine isn't quite flat against the LCD everywhere - in the top half of the screen, there is a bit of "give" when you press it before the TS touches the LCD and the press is registered - not a major problem, but a bit annoying sometimes. Is anyone else's like this?
    Nope mine isnt like this, but its being replaced tomorrow due to the fact I cant turn it on without a reset - anyone else with this problem (im hoping the replacement can read quicker from the SD slot because mine makes mp3s jump onto the next track)
    Having owned a Treo 600 for 18 months I fail to see why people get overexcited about this device, I am looking for a new up to date PDA phone and its will not be the 650. The Treo looked great back then, having had a couple of Nokia communicators the Treo had it all. But since then it has failed to live up to expectation, its not particularly good at anything. As a phone it leaves much to be desired. For a start the mic is for some odd reason at the back of the phone. OK indoors but outside you end up cupping your hands round to reduce wind noise. The headset helps but the receiver has all the call quality of a bucket, so much base its often difficult to make out the conversation. If that is not enough you get the annoying buzz that is often spoken of in this forum, how better the 650 is on these scores I don't know.

Other than speech, the phone is infuriating. When you switch on you wait while it searches the networks. And you wait. And you wait. And you wait. It can take up to five minutes just to log into Orange by which time you are screaming at the thing. And then there are the 'hangs' (a regular feature of this device). On one occasion my girlfriend fell from a ledge walking in Scotland. The phone hung requiring a reset after dialling the second 9 in 999 - it very nearly became a missile. In the end there were no signals for any of the networks, but that is another story.

So to the PDA. Well, its PalmOs, OK - but I didn't anticipate how vanilla the phone would be. Things I took for granted on even the original Nokia were absent on the Treo, for example to use the Treo as a modem for a laptop ... needed a software purchase. If you want to view the file system and move files about .. you need to purchase special software. The email client on the Orange was very basic and failed in that you could not set up an outgoing account without also setting an incoming pop account. Then it would insist on receiving messages before it would even consider sending one - so if you have dozens of spam messages you have to get these 1st before it would send anything. And you can't select "headers only" as you can for example on the Nokia (or even an old Psion 3 I used with a Nokia 2140), only limit to 5K which cost time and money. In the end I bought Snapper - a decent email client but not cheap.

Even the 'good' software doesn't work well on the Treo, I gave up looking for a decent spreadsheet. The Docs2Go works well except after a while had a tendency to hang on selecting a cell. I mailed their support a message which must have gone straight into /dev/null as I heard nothing. Most applications seem to hang or do funny things.

I'm about to attempt a long walk and will be taking the Treo to send regular emails. I thought I'd also use it to store maps but the inbuilt image viewer is not good enough so guess what - you have to buy one (and some of these go for $30 .. I mean, $30 just so you can view JPGs!!!!) I found a half decent viewer for $10 which I loaded on trial. It seemed pretty good but after trying to view an image it hangs. OK, lets forget this then, at least I can use it to play albums on the way. It plays them well except you have to guess what ... buy a special adapter ... because the stereo phones won't fit otherwise.

So this evening I was busy loading CDs one by one. Looked good until for some reason I tried loading an album and found that all the previous songs had been deleted. I despair. And guess what, after one week of the new Treo we have a big thread discussing a new set of deficiencies. No more Treo for me - a phone that tried to be everything but ended up being nothing.
    Last edited by peter.thurston; 05/30/2005 at 03:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by peter.thurston
    Other than speech, the phone is infuriating. When you switch on you wait while it searches the networks. And you wait. And you wait. And you wait. It can take up to five minutes just to log into Orange by which time you are screaming at the thing.
    Peter
    10 out of 10 for sticking witht the Treo.
    0 out of 10 for not realising that yours is faulty and needs to be replaced.
    My old 600 would find a signal in about 10 seconds, everytime ??

My new 650 is causing me a few problems at the moment, but my old 600 was as solid as a rock, you must have got a bad one
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    I never owned a Treo before now but I'm really impressed -so much better than my windows smartphone. Also you can set versamail to receive subjects only.
    I never owned a Treo before now but I'm really impressed -so much better than my windows smartphone. Also you can set versamail to receive subjects only.
    I agree with chast on this one peter, it sounds as if your 600 is faulty. The buzzing is a common fault with the 600. Although I can see where you are coming from with the lack of built in software for basic applications. I have just ordered a treo 650 because as far as I can tell there is no other device that comes close. I don't consider the series 60 nokias true smartphones and am not over keen on the new communicators, I prefer the standard PDA form factor. I have used an imate pda2k and have gone straight back to the treo 600 despite the imate having many more features.

Just curious but what device are you considering instead of the treo 650? The nearest device I can think of is the imate jam biggest downside is no keyboard (and the windows os which drives me nuts!)
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    There is no other phone with the correct form factor for me. Anything I use from now on will have to have a full keyboard. No moving parts is a big consideration for me too, having broken far too many flip phones in the past. So that means the Treo. There's no way I'm using a windows dirtbox phone. Symbian works, but nobody makes a symbian device with the proper form factor. In fact, I don't think anyone makes a windows dirtbox device with the right form factor.

The reason I objected so much to the orange "launcher" is that I had massive reservations about the original treo 600. I've tried every type of phone there was up until I got the treo 600, and hands down I found the way Nokia designed their basic phone interface to be the best (press phone brings up the list of the last 10 people called, jump straight to contacts etc etc.) The Treo600 worked this way, and I've used it for 18 months. I was glad to hear that the same behaviour (more or less) was available on the treo 650. Then I gon mine and found that not only had the jump to contacts upon begining to type option been removed from the Orange version, but also the "Orange World" advert was there, EVERY TIME I WANT TO USE MY PHONE I SEE AN ADVERT FOR STUFF I DON'T WANT!

With the orange launcher, it was easier to order a bluetooth headset than to phone my girlfriend. That's unacceptable. Now it's one and I'm happy.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    On another note:

I had my first reset this morning. That's after 8 days of hardcore fiddling and demoing crazy features. I find that acceptable.
    Well, I got my phone from Orange last Friday, and was very excited. It looks beautiful and was free (after following the advice on this forum). I have played with it all weekend and have found the stabilty to be getting worse and worse.

First of all it was just rebooting itself, randomly, once or twice a day, which was bad enough, but since yesterday I have found the phone just switches itself off when it wants. Sometimes, I'll see the Orange splash screen come up as it is switching off, sometimes I don't.

Sometimes, when I switch the phone back on it will stay on for 5 minutes, half an hour, couple of hours, but eventually it will switch itself off. Sometimes, just after it finds the network, it shuts down again ... very frustrating.

I have removed all the software I have loaded on to it, bit by bit, to see if that was causing the probelm - Butler, KeyCaps650, Profiles, etc - but doesn't seem to be helping.

Spoke with Orange this morning and they said I could either upgrade the firmware (might help) or I could cancel my upgrade. They didnt seem too surprised by my problems.

The one thing I guess I miss from my Symbian P900 is its stability and reliability. I really dont want to give up on this phone, but if it doesn't work properly I guess I'll have to.

Has anyone else had it this bad?

Martin
    Martin

I had quite a few resets to start with, but it's got better now. Don't know why that was.
    I had the switching off problem. It seemed to mainly do it when it was in my pocket. I decided it was due to using the old 600 case and it pressing the buttons.
    So I changed to a softer case and it had not done it since. I had decided to get a replacement via Orange as there were a few other problems, but this morning it turned off again, but not in my pocket this time. So I'm not so sure that it was the case.

I get my new one tomorrow from Orange, so I will know after that if it's a 650 thing, or a bad handset or a software conflict.

I have 2 other problems, all sounds stop every now and then when I turn it on. A quick off/on cures it. Plus the occasional slow down to un-useable speed, which requires a soft reset.

As above I will find out if it's a software thing when I get my new handset.

Keep reporting back

Chas
    Thought of the day :
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Martin,

Orange said that you could upgrade the Firmware?

Surprised they said that it was acceptable to use unsupported Palm firmware- especially when it wipes the Orange stamp from the handset.

Unless Orange have released an update that is?....
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    themitch, interesting that they offered to upgrade the firmware, do what version were they suggesting?

Paul
    Somehow I managed to get to the Favourites screen with the stock Orange firmware!
    So the original phone software must be in there somewhere.
    My infrared has started to work so not sure why it wasnt working before -perhaps interference from something else.

No resets except when trying to run Quake - still can't get it to run, despite having UDMH and 18MB free.

Still undecided whether to upgrade firmware as it seems to be working fine (if it aint broke don't fix it).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Martin,

Orange said that you could upgrade the Firmware?

Unless Orange have released an update that is?....
    I stand to be corrected but, I expect he/they meant "replace handset"
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril
    Somehow I managed to get to the Favourites screen with the stock Orange firmware!
    From the Orange Phone Launcher press a lettter key to get Favourites ie "Q"
    or a number key to get Dial Pad ie "e/1"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril
    (if it aint broke don't fix it).
    You ain't wrong there
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    I stand to be corrected but, I expect he/they meant "replace handset"
    You're right, they did offer to change the handset, but the guy I spoke to also said trying upgrading the firmware (as in *me* upgrade it). I guess to the latest available version, which is 1.23 as far as I can tell. Not sure what this does to my warranty? I dont think Orange have released a new version of the fw, have they?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    From the Orange Phone Launcher press a lettter key to get Favourites ie "Q"
    or a number key to get Dial Pad ie "e/1"
    That only works if you didn't sync from your old treo 600 data. if you did, and your 600 was set to "search contacts when you type" you never see the favourites sccreen since orange decided that you didn't want to be able to access that option in the phone settings.

More than a bit special, that one.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    To people who have stability issues with their 650s:

1) Back up your data, rename the folder, do a hard reset and install the latest versions of all the apps. Check that the apps are 650 compatable and leave out any that aren't. You can beam your contacts over from your 600 and even export your calendar from the Palm Desktop and re-import later, just don't bring anything directly over from your 600 via hotsync.

2) If that doesn't fix the problem, (or if you aren't upgrading from another palm device): Get the handset replaced! The Treo 650 is not an unstable device, is not prone to resets and should not crash except under the most dire circumstances. If yours is exhibiting this behaviour, it is faulty and should be replaced!

Do not put up with an unstable device. I'm using all kindsa stuff like keycaps, radiocontrol and LEDOFF, playing games and even using the less than stable TCPMP to play XviD movies and I've had one reset in 8 days. OK, so I have firmware 1.23 installed but I've also sent over 100 sms messages and probably made 30 - 40 phone calls. I check my mail all the time.

Apparently there is an app which cleans out the memory cashe on the 650 when switching apps. This is something to do with the new file system and I won't pretend to be an expert. I have heared tell of folks who have noticed that their treo used to reset sometimes while switching apps and now does not after installing this utility, but since I don't really get a lot of resets I haven't tried it. It's called DBCacheDA.prc and there are threads about it somewhere on this board (although I'm not sure where exactly, sorry).