Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    My mates palm that he flashed, still no resets. I am tempted so much to do it to mine. I am so envious of teh phone app also.
    Sayem

apple_power
    Powerbooks 15, 12"
    ibook 12"
    imac G5
    emac
    Phones:Treo 650/600, m2000/m1000, nokia 9500,6630,3510i, 6310i and Samsung D500, V3, V600, SEp910i, p900, P800 far to many more nadeset all the way back to 1993
    Palm: T3, T5, E1, T1, T2, sonly clie ux50, Th55 and far to many others to list
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Murray- no problems with mine so far. Had a corrupt 'Tasks' DB which I've fixed. Not sure if that was due to the new firmware.

Very easy to install:

Backup all data- I used Backup man.
    Hard reset your Treo.
    Put the Firmware package (the folder named Palm and all its contents) onto a blank/ formatted SD card.
    Insert the SD card into the Treo, the programme automatically starts, wait about 5 minutes (think you need to select a language at some point).
    Let the Firmware flash your ROM- it resets a few times and it's done!
    Then do another hard reset just for good measure and sync your information back to your Treo.

I was looking through my files on Filez and noticed that i had a image db file that was 2 MB in size. I think this was transfered from my Treo 600. I deleted this. Any body else have a large file like this?
    thanks Hicks..I'll give it a try today
    The postman finally found my 650!
    It's gorgeous!

Need a new case as the old 600 one fits but the holes at the top and bottom don't quite line up on the Krussel.

Call volume is a little low, and the Launcher is not that bad.
    However I will probably flash it next month as I am more used to the Treo 600 style launcher, which is also somewhat more flexible.

Can't wait to try zQuake on it! Hope zHexen and zDoom get updated for the 650 as well.

Infrared does not seem to work , even with' Beam Receive ' on in Prefs!
    Anyone else with this problem?
    Last edited by Cyril; 05/29/2005 at 05:54 PM.
    ah well tried the firmware update at home on my mac and nothing happened...perhaps it's a mac thing so I will try it on my work pc next week
    How do you do a hard reset I'm pressing the red button then whilst pressing the rred but I stick my stylus into the reset hole and when the palm logo appears I'm releasing the red button but its just soft resetting not hard resetting.

Update: its ok I was peaking too soon.
    Last edited by LozzaMac; 05/28/2005 at 01:44 PM.
    Good evening everyone

Got my Treo 650 yesterday (as a replacement for my Visorphone LOL). I have a real problem with the 'obligatory' Orange stuff (although I notice from elsewhere in the forum that there are admirers of the Phone App screen Stateside!). I immediately signed up to TreoCentral and notice there are quite a few fellow Mac users out there.

1.23 seems the way to go? I haven't yet synched with my Mac, have tried BT -could only manage file transfer. Before taking the plunge I notice a Brighthand posting

<http://discussion.brighthand.com/palmhandhelds/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75197>

about upgrading which basically recommends a clean install over an upgrade. Seems like a way to avoid the resets, although I am worried about how to get the data (contacts, calender, memos) over from my Visor. So what I am going to do is get the Treo 650 compatible upgrades of the apps (DateBook5, AddressPlus, Wordsmith) onto my Visor first, check it all works, do a HotSynch and then back up, move the backup somewhere else, and then Clean Install/flash to 1.23. A bit of performance, but should be worth it?

One other question - I want to use my old phone for abroad (it is unlocked) The major difference is that the Treo 650 needs Palm Desktop 4.1, which I read isn't compatible with Palm Desktop 4.0. My plan is to sync the old phone using another Mac, PD 4.0, and to export data one way to the old phone. Any thoughts?
    Murrayalex I'm also a mac user and I've just managed to flash my firmware using an SD card. Finally I can see what you are all on about!!!! Not that I had huge problems with the orange launcher. The only thing that went wrong was that I managed to overwrite my contact on my ibook and had to restore them from my work lap-top.

Hi Holymacaroni I'm also an apple user but I use missing sync, which you can buy from markspace.com. When I first got my iBook I was having problems syncing using the mac version of palmdesktop to the extent that I gave up. Missing sync might be a solution to your problem but it costs $39.95.
    Hi Lozza - tried about 6 times last night, when I inserted the SD card with the firmware in after the hard reset nothing happened...
    Quote Originally Posted by murrayalex
    Hi Lozza - tried about 6 times last night, when I inserted the SD card with the firmware in after the hard reset nothing happened...

Is your sd card empty? Also do you have another palm folder in the sd card? If you are not sure, just use the orange try mmc card, delete it and place the palm folder in it and voila after 5 mins tops you have a flashed palm.
    Sayem

apple_power
    Powerbooks 15, 12"
    ibook 12"
    imac G5
    emac
    Phones:Treo 650/600, m2000/m1000, nokia 9500,6630,3510i, 6310i and Samsung D500, V3, V600, SEp910i, p900, P800 far to many more nadeset all the way back to 1993
    Palm: T3, T5, E1, T1, T2, sonly clie ux50, Th55 and far to many others to list
    When I first tried it I did get an error message & I thought this isn't going to work. Then it went on its merry way. Takes a while but makes a huge difference. Hope u get it to work - good luck.
    thanks for the help..finally managed to do it tonight, I think the problem was having a previous palm file on the card which apple power mentioned. I now have the nice phone palm app instead of that crappy launcher which looks like it will be far more useable. However, I can't seem to change all the buttons at the bottom, at first I had contacts, camera, web and voicemail as the default and when I hotsynced 'quick tour" has appeared in place of 'web" ??!!
    have got that sorted now..didn't realise you could drag the offending app out of sight.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Hi
    First to say hello, been lurking for a while, now registered... Got my 650 2 days ago. Old palm user, but new to treo. First I copied all my old apps across - big mistake as one of them was causing a serious conflict, but after hard reset I am now replacing them one by one: Docs to go and Datebook5 first.
    But I am having the problem of recurrent freezes: the machine locks up, dark screen , and needs a soft reset or a system reset about 15 times a day. Is the new firmware going to fix this or must I insist on a replacement?
    Secondly, if the new firmware fails then can I go back to an older version, and how?
    Thirdly, as a new treo user I am intrigued by everyones condemnation of the Orange launcher - it seems Ok to me. Is the regular (sorry for the americanism) palm1 front screen that much better?
    Thanks all for a very useful forum...
    I got my Treo 650 on Friday during a bout of food poisoning - I like to think it helped in my recovery.

The only problem I had was trying to install an MP3 onto the (formatted) try card. No matter what I did it just stayed in the Palm installer window and didn't hotsync accross with everything else. After much fooling around I found out why - the filename can't be overly long otherwise it won't be accepted onto the card. That'll teach me to choose "Kings of Convenience - I Don't Know What I can Save You From (Royksopp Remix).mp3" as my experimental file!

It's a shame there was no message telling me why the file didn't sync. Is this a drawback to all MMC/SD cards or just the Palm software?

ps. this is my first ever mobile phone. Is that wierd or admirable?
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfatgit
    Hi

But I am having the problem of recurrent freezes: the machine locks up, dark screen , and needs a soft reset or a system reset about 15 times a day. Is the new firmware going to fix this or must I insist on a replacement?
    Secondly, if the new firmware fails then can I go back to an older version, and how?

Thirdly, as a new treo user I am intrigued by everyones condemnation of the Orange launcher - it seems Ok to me. Is the regular (sorry for the americanism) palm1 front screen that much better?
    Hi there.
    You should not be getting that many rests
    Try doing a hard reset, after having backed up and then moved your backup folder on your PC, and then re-install one at a time.
    There are lots of apps that have had to be updated for the 650, so you might find that once you have tracked down the offending app you will be OK once you have the latest version.
    1.23 should not help you as 1.21 should not be that bad.

As to the Orange Launcher, the old T600 palm one was vey simple and made it quick to dial out etc. The new Orange one offers more things you can access, but it's more messy. I'm getting to like it, but if I update to 1.23 I'll be happy with the non Orange one
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfatgit
    Hi
    First to say hello, been lurking for a while, now registered... Got my 650 2 days ago. Old palm user, but new to treo. First I copied all my old apps across - big mistake as one of them was causing a serious conflict, but after hard reset I am now replacing them one by one: Docs to go and Datebook5 first.
    hello there...I had similar probs with my T5 which uses the same memory system as the 650. One of the main culprits was Docs to Go. The latest version 7.03, I think, has sorted the problem and should help. However, I've just dumped the app and things have been very stable on my T5 and 650 since. Check to see if your apps are compatible with the 650, some well known ones are still not compatible such as Contacts 5.
    Welcome to the forum oldfatgit. I didn't have a problem with the orange launcher but I must say that after flashing my firmware I wouldn't go back. The palm version looks better and is more intuitive.
    After the complete uselessness of the Cambridge Orange shop, I went to Bluewater yesterday and they had the 650 in stock. I'm on Everyday 50, and wanted to upgrade onto the Off Peak 1000 tariff with cross-network minutes, but they told me that it was only for new users. Bloody Orange - in the end, I decided to stick with ED50, so the upgrade was 250 with my 100 off voucher.

Got it home and after 5 minutes seeing just how badly Orange had messed up the user interface, I flashed on the 1.23 firmware with no problems at all. I've been setting it up ever since - I've been using a Palm Tungsten T2 for the last couple of years, so there was a lot to transfer. I set up a completely new HotSync ID so as to avoid any nasties, and have only had one reset during the setup procedure, and it seems to be fine now I've stopped fiddling with it - pretty much all my T2 software and data has gone on with no problems.

My only niggle is that the touchscreen on mine isn't quite flat against the LCD everywhere - in the top half of the screen, there is a bit of "give" when you press it before the TS touches the LCD and the press is registered - not a major problem, but a bit annoying sometimes. Is anyone else's like this?

Cheers,

Simon
    Is there any news on wifi ? has anyone tried or heard anything ? does shadowmites hack work on the gsm version ?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Can't believe it, only had it 10 days Have two light circular scratches on the screen (self inflicted using hankerchief to clean screen), centre button on 5- way navigator is scuffed and when you press it left it does not make the audible tap that the other directions make.

My Treo 600 seemed more robust somehow- it's still in very good nick considering the age.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast