Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heterodoxos
    I've finally had a chance to play around with my Orange Treo. I can tolerate the mildly offensive launcher and the messed up dial pad but have now discovered that I am only allowed to use Orange's outgoing mail server. This I was told by Orange support was the way the technology works.
    This is complete and utter bollocks. Orange support know f**k all about anything. I'm using my treo 650 exactly the same way I did my 600, via Port995.com for smtp and it works fine as you like.

You'll need to go into the mail app and configure your account. Go into the advanced settings and confirm that you're using the correct ports. When you get to the Outgoing Server Settings page, tick the box for Use authentication (ESMTP). Fill in the username and password boxes that appear and click Done.

Rejoyce in email which works. No more 6 hour waits for your email to come out of the black hole that is smtp.orange.net!

I hope this helps and that I'm not being a patronising arsehat.
    I've set up my email account to use my isps smtp server and not orange's
    Appreciate the help Richks but I've already cancelled my contract and waiting to return the phone. Perhaps I was a little hasty, should have waited for a reply on here first. I have a real thing about customer service. I can deal with the lack of technical knowledge from supposed 'support' staff but when I get attitude because they don't know the answer I tend to act swiftly. A shame as I really liked the phone and it was shaping up to be one of the best devices I've used. I am going back to my P910i which I now look upon with great disdain after using the Treo. I'm considering an unlocked one with a Vodafone contract but of course there will be no cover should the phone need replacing. Perhaps a case of better the devil you know.
    Is it too late to change your mind?
    I'm sure it isn't too late but once I get on my high horse I find it quite difficult to get down! Are you using Versamail or Snapper?
    Is it an Orange thing, the pictures are now held in a special media folder on the pc and deleted off the pc at the same time as the pda ?

According to the hotsync conduit the pictures should be in /program files/handspring/treo pictures/user name/ but that's where my T600 sent them, but not the T650.

But they are actually going to /program files/handspring/user name/photos/etc. They end up there ok all the time the pictures are on the 650, but get deleted from the pc when they are deleted off the 650.

Is this what everyone else is finding, or do I need to completely uninstall the pc software and re-install
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by murrayalex
    the hotsync cable / charger lead thing is a right pain in the derriere....a mass of cables with some very untidy clutter...I've already ordered a sync and charger retractable cable from proporta to get round this. Chas, I get the same ring when it comes on but nowt when it is switched off. Does anyone know of a cheap programme that will switch the 650 on and off at set times ? Profeo lite used to work on the 600 but is not listed as working with the 650.
    There is a battery programmme called battery doctor for treo, which turns your phone on and off at preset times.
    Sayem

apple_power
    Powerbooks 15, 12"
    ibook 12"
    imac G5
    emac
    Phones:Treo 650/600, m2000/m1000, nokia 9500,6630,3510i, 6310i and Samsung D500, V3, V600, SEp910i, p900, P800 far to many more nadeset all the way back to 1993
    Palm: T3, T5, E1, T1, T2, sonly clie ux50, Th55 and far to many others to list
    Quote Originally Posted by heterodoxos
    I've finally had a chance to play around with my Orange Treo. I can tolerate the mildly offensive launcher and the messed up dial pad but have now discovered that I am only allowed to use Orange's outgoing mail server. This I was told by Orange support was the way the technology works. Strange as I don't recall having this problem with Vodafone as I could use any outgoing server I liked. Perhaps Vodafone use some other kind of technology. They helpfully suggested that I could use dial up which kind of defeats the purpose of a data bundle. I fear we are slowly moving towards how the American networks operate. Sadly my Treo will be returning to Orange. Come back Vodafone, all is forgiven.
    You can use other email accounts.
    Sayem

apple_power
    Powerbooks 15, 12"
    ibook 12"
    imac G5
    emac
    Phones:Treo 650/600, m2000/m1000, nokia 9500,6630,3510i, 6310i and Samsung D500, V3, V600, SEp910i, p900, P800 far to many more nadeset all the way back to 1993
    Palm: T3, T5, E1, T1, T2, sonly clie ux50, Th55 and far to many others to list
  9.    #69  
    I'm having problems setting up gmail I can receive e-mails but I can't send.

Also is there any way to access work emails with Versamail. At the moment I use the web to access webmail using a RSA SecurID random number thingy. Can I set up Versamail to do this?
    Just got off the phone to Orange. My Treo 650 will not turn on in the morning, the screen stays black, i have to soft reset it to get it going again (I hope you are all following this as I had to explain this to the Orange guy about 4 times - who then told me that there is no reset button! ). He then did a diagnostics based on my IMEI number and told me my handset was faulty - then, as im going away this weekend, he cant schedule a replacement for Tueday - so I have to do it all again Monday! GRRR - Im a bit annoyed. But then Iit'll be all sorted next week. - it'll be my 7th Treo - One 180g, Four 600's, 2 650's
    Abu-Alfie sound like a problem with your smtp server - whose are you using?
    Abu-Alfie,

If you're using SecurID then you are probably working through a VPN. There is VPN software available for the palm, take a look at teh URL below.

palmone VPN Stuff
    no problems so far anyone with the 1.23 update ?? Can someone help me with the procedure as I need to be led through these things....you get an SD card, format it and then load the 1.23 updater on it ? Then hard reset your treo, stick the card in and then what do you do ?? Thanks
    no problems so far anyone with the 1.23 update ?? Can someone help me with the procedure as I need to be led through these things....you get an SD card, format it and then load the 1.23 updater on it ? Then hard reset your treo, stick the card in and then what do you do ?? Thanks
    I did a hard reset and waited until it got to the 'select language' screen, at which point I inserted the SD card and did another hard reset. It seemed to just reset again but after a short delay started the firmware upgrade process (takes about 1 minute and make sure you have enough battery). After the update it seemed to reboot a few times and then came back to the nice new interface.

The standard Palm interface is much better than Orange.
  15.    #75  
    I'm using smtp.orange.net I also tried smtp.gmail.com. What am I doing wrong? Is it to do with the 1.23 upgrade.

Thanks for the VPN info. I phoned computer support and they said they us a VPN but won't allow external access.
    Does the smtp.gmail.com need user authentication?. What error message do you get when you try to send email?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Murray- no problems with mine so far. Had a corrupt 'Tasks' DB which I've fixed. Not sure if that was due to the new firmware.

Very easy to install:

Backup all data- I used Backup man.
    Hard reset your Treo.
    Put the Firmware package (the folder named Palm and all its contents) onto a blank/ formatted SD card.
    Insert the SD card into the Treo, the programme automatically starts, wait about 5 minutes (think you need to select a language at some point).
    Let the Firmware flash your ROM- it resets a few times and it's done!
    Then do another hard reset just for good measure and sync your information back to your Treo.

I was looking through my files on Filez and noticed that i had a image db file that was 2 MB in size. I think this was transfered from my Treo 600. I deleted this. Any body else have a large file like this?
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by LozzaMac
    Does the smtp.gmail.com need user authentication?. What error message do you get when you try to send email?
    It does require authentication and the out going (smtp) port needs to be set to 465 and it requires a SSL connection.

Hope this helps.
  19.    #79  
    Changed to 465 and smtp.gmail.com. Still no luck, error message "no response fromsmtp server"

Changed to 587 success
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    Is it an Orange thing, the pictures are now held in a special media folder on the pc and deleted off the pc at the same time as the pda ?

According to the hotsync conduit the pictures should be in /program files/handspring/treo pictures/user name/ but that's where my T600 sent them, but not the T650.

But they are actually going to /program files/handspring/user name/photos/etc. They end up there ok all the time the pictures are on the 650, but get deleted from the pc when they are deleted off the 650.

Is this what everyone else is finding, or do I need to completely uninstall the pc software and re-install
    Bump, please

No one else using their camera ?

If you delete the picture from Ram, does a hotsync remove it from your pc as well
    Last edited by ChasT; 05/27/2005 at 06:39 PM.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast