Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    I must admit to being a bit scared of doing the firmware update. Should I be?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    ftp://ftp.snikte.net/

Instructions at http://mytreo.net/treo650faq/ROMInstall

I did not tell you to do this, it's very naughty, but honestly, it makes the phone actually usable instead of pants.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I nearly shat myself while doing it, but I figured that I had a useless piece of crap phone and if I was actually going to get any value from it I'd need the phone to work. And besides, I only got it from Orange yesterday and haven't got a massive emotional investment in it. If it went wrong, it'd be going back to orange. If they asked any questions, I'd say it was like that when I got it.

I did the uypgrade on my Treo600 about 3 times and then had to do it again with the replacement when mine broke (it broke by being dropped, so no, it wasn't the firmware that broke it!).

And Orange were kind enough to give me a 32 meg MMC with the treo 650, ideal for installing the update from
    yeah what was that all about the 'try' card... I think orange completely misread the treo crowd with all this self marketing crap they have added. i'll be doing the firmware upgrade tonight as I really can't do another day with the stupid stupid stupid launcher.
    still p*ssed off about waiting 8 months for some branding snafu.
    Right, when mine arrives, it's definitely getting the plain firmware flashed in - I can't stand Orange's need to impose their dreadful branding over a perfectly serviceable user interface, generally breaking it in the process.

Are there any settings for data, phone use etc that you need to make a note of before you reflash the firmware, or is that stuff all stored as part of the standard (i.e. HotSyncable) user data?

Oh, and is the firmware on that site definitely the GSM version? How can you tell it apart from the CDMA versions? I presume that flashing the CDMA firmware will result in a veryy broken Treo?

Cheers,

Simon
    Richks - did you manage to unlock the phone this way? - how is the radio strength? - do you lose the gprs settings et al ?

LufcMattylad
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Signal strength is the same as my treo 600 and the same as the treo 650 was before. By which I mean fairly crap in the metal framed Faraday cage of a building I work in. I can send a recieve email without problems (and since I'm not using the black hole that is smtp.orange.net the emails I send are actually getting to the recipients the same day I send them) and surf the interwebnet without problems. GPRS seems a bit faster, but sometimes seems to take a while to connect. No longer than the Treo 600 did mind you, but that had a firmware upgrade too. I'm currently unable to check if the thing is unlocked, since I live on the south coast and orange have the best coverage here. I don't know anyone who's not on orange.
    cool - i might try it, I might try building a GSM custom ROM based on the 1.23 (using the mytreo instructions) cos im never gonna use Realplayer or Versamail (you guys put me off even before I started)
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Personally I don't seem to be having any problem with Versamail. Not yet anyway.

Realplayer is still a pile o ****e though, no matter what platform you put it on...
    I just flashed my Orange Treo 650 with the 1.23 firmware (thanks to Richks for supplying the FTP server address!).

It all seems to work perfectly, no more crappy Orange launcher. Having said that, there is one minor glitch: the date is now in US format (ie MM/DD/YY), and there doesn't seem to be a way of changing this. Or is there?

(Oh yes, and be warned - as soon as you put the firmware-replacing SD card into the Treo it autoboots - yes autoboots - and starts flashing your firmware. Make sure you do a hard reset before you put the SD card in!)

UPDATE: I did a Hotsync to restore my data and the date format switched back to the UK version!
    Last edited by neverthink; 05/24/2005 at 01:12 PM.
    Neverthink,

Have you tried to go to preferance and change the setting to Uk under formats for your date issue.

The software also changes to treo 650-1.06/5052/?? Not sure as it passes the screen. My mates just flashed his. I tried the ftp link, could not log on. How ever I found a web link on howard forum.

So far he has no resets he had an intermitant faulty handsfree mic, which is now resolved. Also memory seems a lot better he has about 30% more memory then previously with same data and appliactions loaded.

Also refernce settings for back up. If you do a complete back it backs up your network profile, even down to the orange category, and the orange colour theme. So my mate has everything back. A piece of cake to do, was worried at first.
    Sayem

apple_power
    Powerbooks 15, 12"
    ibook 12"
    imac G5
    emac
    Phones:Treo 650/600, m2000/m1000, nokia 9500,6630,3510i, 6310i and Samsung D500, V3, V600, SEp910i, p900, P800 far to many more nadeset all the way back to 1993
    Palm: T3, T5, E1, T1, T2, sonly clie ux50, Th55 and far to many others to list
    I just realised I need a card reader to do it.. has anyone managed to do it via hotsync?
    apple_power, I had the same experience as your mate - a Hotsync restore got back the Orange colour scheme and the UK date setting (doesn't seem to be a way of changing this in Prefs though, so looks like a bit of luck on that one - unless anybody knows another way of changing the date locale).

Regarding the server - I logged on using SmartFTP and it seemed ok, although I only got about 12kb/sec download speed and it's limited to five users.
    If any one actulaly wants the beta 1.23 rom , I can host it on my mac home page. Or i can provide another link which is here.

Right did you do a hard reset after reflashing? Also go to system, preferance, formats, preset to UNITED KINGDOM, then you can play with how you would likethe dates.

The Link to another site is here, where you can download the rom, no limit.
    On first page.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=624683

I tried to do his by hotsync, but it never installed the palm directory. Most likely cos it alredy ahd a palm folder in it.
    Sayem

apple_power
    Powerbooks 15, 12"
    ibook 12"
    imac G5
    emac
    Phones:Treo 650/600, m2000/m1000, nokia 9500,6630,3510i, 6310i and Samsung D500, V3, V600, SEp910i, p900, P800 far to many more nadeset all the way back to 1993
    Doh! Cheers for the info apple_power. Can't believe I missed that one - must still be too excited about not blowing up my phone with the firmware flash.
    No probs at all Neverthink, I am glad I am able to help in any way.
    Sayem

apple_power
    Powerbooks 15, 12"
    ibook 12"
    imac G5
    emac
    cs7sje - if you're stuck for a card reader, try the shareware version of Card Export: http://www.softick.com/cardexport/. It lets you use your Treo as the card reader. That said, I'm not 100% convinced of its compatibility with the 650 (it seemed to cause HotSync to stop working with everything bar a hard reset), but I've never had problems using it on my old 600 if you have one lying around.
    there's a thread on treocentral discussing the 1.23 updater...quite a few people have gone back to 1.21 as they've had probs with 1.23...slow launching, resetting during calls to name a couple. Thet start off all enthused about it then start to have a few hiccups along the way.I'm going to hang on for the official updater unless it takes for ever as I'm basically a chicken on these things.
    Forgot to mention I made the mistake of installing some of the crap on the cd...now I've got that useless Orange "talk now" taking up 700kb of space and I can't seem to delete it
    Hell ! whats this Talk Now bollox, not only does it not work (disabled by orange) its bloody annoying, and started annoying user log on/off messages periodically. The Orange Launcher is diabolical - havent flashed yet, thinking of putting 1.21 on instead of 1.23 bearing in mine murrayalex's note
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast