Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Richks
    Wacky.

I've been using BlueFiles, which is rather neat but a bit more of a gimmick than actually useful. I installed the Cardexport trial version this morning and havent used it much, but it appears to be stable so far.

I built a custom rom last night with Snappermail instead of Versa, Snapcalc instead of the regular calculator and no tutorials, no realplayer or non-english stuff. No memo pad or To Do list. I added Adobe reader, zlauncher, Bluefiles, Plucker and a few other things and so far so good. Lots of empty space (about 14.5 Meg). I haven't looked too deeply into what's in ROM and what's in RAM yet, but it appears that everything is in ROM as far as I can tell.

The process was rather nerve wracking, I can tell you!
    I'd be interested in that rom if you could make it available somewhere - but only after you've tested it for us first :-D
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    You've got more bottle than me!
    Nah mate, just more stupid

Quote Originally Posted by murrayalex
    did you use shadowmite's custom rom instructions Rich??
    Yeah, basically. I followed 100thMonkey's guide at MyTreo.net except I did a few things differently. Looking at the instructions, the really hard bit that'd been putting me off was figuring out which files to take out for which apps. One of those things: Take out the wrong file and the unit's completely Chris Tarranted. I was comfortable adding apps though, that seemed easy. In the end I used a pre-customised base ROM from Shadowmite's site:

http://shadowmite.com/romsGSM.html

Descriptions of what's been stripped from each ROM is in this thread:

http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488

For those who can't be bothered to click and search, it's:

#1 No Versa, Real, Languages, and QuickTour
    #2 No Versa, Real, Languages, QuickTour, Calc, and WorldClock
    #3 No Versa, Real, Languages, QuickTour, Calc, WorldClock, Memo, and ToDo

I started with #3 and added Worldclock and Memo back in by extracting the .prc files from a standard 1.23.

Then I added the apps I wanted as per the instructions, built the ROM and flashed the Treo. So far so good, but I have to say the flashing was somewhat bowel loosening...
    Quote Originally Posted by muttdaemon
    I cancelled my existing contract with Orange this morning after my phone locked up again. However, I signed up again to hopefully get a better unit. It's faster to cancel and re-apply than wait for Orange to give me a "fault code".
    sounds like my story. first t650 locked after a period of time (usually overnight - but also more frequent too), couldnt turn it on !! .. send it back after the same fault code thing... got replacement... and ... that had same problem, so I flashed to 1.23 and never had another lockup
    I had my second treo 650 last saturday and it hasn't locked up since. The only thing I didn't do in my second treo that I did in the first unit is to use the "Try card". Can anybody confirm if the SD card that came with the treo 650 auto installs anything in the unit? It's got a "palm" folder inside which from my very limited understanding is a necessity when flashing the treo 650. Do you think that that SD card may have flashed the RAM of the treo 650 which in turn caused the lock up problem?
    I cancelled my existing contract with Orange this morning after my phone locked up again. However, I signed up again to hopefully get a better unit. It's faster to cancel and re-apply than wait for Orange to give me a "fault code".
    Orange asked for a 150 pound deposit on top of the unit cost if I cancel my original contract and sign up for a new one. This is in spite of the delay (5 days) in troubleshooting my phone. I had to stick with my original contract and it's a good thing that Orange called back the same day for the fault code and the replacement came a day after.

btw, one of the helpdesk personnels of orange told me that they could not replace the phone fast enough is because the problem could be solved by them sending me a text message. Cute!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    pop that TRY CARD into a card reader and format the bugger. There's nothing of any interest on it. I did actually looked at it before I re-flashed and built-from-scratch on my 650. It was 100% toss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richks
    pop that TRY CARD into a card reader and format the bugger. There's nothing of any interest on it. I did actually looked at it before I re-flashed and built-from-scratch on my 650. It was 100% toss.
    done that. felt great after
    one question - if you put the rom on the TRY card, doesnt everytime you pop the card in it flashes automatically? what if I want to pop the card back in the treo to use filez to delete it off - will it reflash again?

When I flashed, my attention was caught for a second by someone talking to me in the same room - when i looked down at my treo is was in the middle of flashing - I didnt even tap so say i wanted it performing - it kinda did it automatically
    I think it will. Probably best to use a card reader and delete the files on your PC that's what I did after I flashed my ROM. Then I formatted the card in my Treo just to make sure.
    I copied the entire palm folder from the Orange "Try Card" to my PC. If anybody want to have a look, I can email it. Maybe someone who has expertise on this can confirm that a) Orange flashes your treo automatically when you plug in the card, and; b) That update is causing the lock up issue (or maybe other issues as well).
    I copied the entire palm folder from the Orange "Try Card" to my PC. If anybody want to have a look, I can email it. Maybe someone who has expertise on this can confirm that a) Orange flashes your treo automatically when you plug in the card, and; b) That update is causing the lock up issue (or maybe other issues as well).
    a) I have read elsewhere that you must quickly remove the card once you have done the flash upgrade and the Treo is doing a reset or else it will do the flash again. So it follows that the answer to your qestion is Yes.

b)Obviously the upgrade should not cause any problems, or else it would not have been released in the first place. However if you read and search here and mytreo you will find lots of users that love the upgrade, and lots that hate it. So the answers must be Yes & No. As this upgrade is not an "official" one you could expect a Yes & No answer anyway as it's got to be classed as a Beta version
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Sorry for the confusion but I am talking about the SD Card that came with the orange subscription which I think installs some software automatically to the treo. I further theorized that this could be causing the lock up problems that some of us are experiencing. I am not referring to the custom ROMs discussed in this website because I have not yet tried flashing my treo using these ROMs.

Why would Orange release something that isn't working? Hmmm I dunno, but do check out spl23's post at http://discuss.treocentral.com/archi...p/t-86187.html . I'll quote the interesting part here...not sure of course if this is true:
    ________

Quote Originally Posted by spl23
    Orange have a long and distinguished history of f***ing up perfectly good phones by applying their "brand" to them. In a previous job, I actually worked on a phone to be used on Orange, and their overwhelming insistence was that the branding was right - whether the phone worked or not was far less important. I'm really not surprised that the Orange launcher for the 650 is causing crashes. Take it off, put fw 1.23 on and start enjoying your Treo the way Palm meant it to be!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Don't forget that orange are responsible for inflicting the SPV on the world...
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    IIRC, the Orange "Try Card" just runs a crumby app which shows you a trailer for Star Wars and tries to get you to buy more overpriced "services" you don't want or need. I don't think it actually installs anything to the phone itself.
    Sorry for the confusion but I am talking about the SD Card that came with the orange subscription which I think installs some software automatically to the treo. I further theorized that this could be causing the lock up problems that some of us are experiencing. I am not referring to the custom ROMs discussed in this website because I have not yet tried flashing my treo using these ROMs.
    The Try Card that comes with the Treo just installs a little app that points you towards the apps on the card. This will not have caused your problems. It will either have been something else YOU put on, or your Treo was terminal when you got it.

I read what you quote about the Orange launcher, but I for one are more than happy with the new Orange launcher and find that my 650 is 100% rock solid.

You can always find someone telling you how bad a unit is, but there are another 100 who don't say anything, but are getting on OK.
    Last edited by ChasT; 06/13/2005 at 08:36 AM.
    Thought of the day :
    There is talk in Treo 650 hardware that the offical GSM 1.28 firmware will be realsed later this month. I thought the next update was to be 1.25 or have I missied something?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    The guy talking about 1.28 doesn't seem to be exactly on the level...
    It's all only hearsay :-)
    1.23 does exist, but as a beta
    1.25 has never been seen in the open, except by a very few insiders ?
    1.28 has been tried by one insider, so they say.
    This is all very much leaked versions, so it's a case of wait and see, and then decide how much you are comfortable with the risk of a beta version.
    Thought of the day :
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I stand corrected, it appears that the 1.28 firmware is real and due to be "released" any day now. I don't know it this wll be an official release, or if it will just leak out the way 1.21 and 1.23 did, but it'll be available soon.

Obviously I'll be wanting to try it out asap.
    I think I will stick to the original 1.15 that came with my palmone branded treo 650, more stable then any orange crap so far. If it is any better might bother, or stick to what works.
    Sayem

apple_power
    Powerbooks 15, 12"
    ibook 12"
    imac G5
    emac
    Phones:Treo 650/600, m2000/m1000, nokia 9500,6630,3510i, 6310i and Samsung D500, V3, V600, SEp910i, p900, P800 far to many more nadeset all the way back to 1993
    Palm: T3, T5, E1, T1, T2, sonly clie ux50, Th55 and far to many others to list
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast